Help - what training should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new and I'm hoping some of you can help me!

I've done a one day course on mani/pedi and a one day course on nail extensions. Now I know this isn't enough, so I'm considering doing an evening course at my local college which offers the VTCT qualification. I figure this will give me some in-depth training and experience (they have a salon for paying clients) but I'm wondering if this is the best option. Would employers consider this a good route to take? I currently work as a secretary and want to change directioin, but it's difficult to know what to do for the best. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated! Thanks!

hi i have done the same as you and enroling this week to do my vtct in manicures then nail tech as the one day courses werent enough for me, hopefully i will do a creative course as well in the future vtct are more indepth and its a recognised qualification just my opinion i have found out ther are so many courses out there it is hard to decide
em:D

Hi there,
I posted a question about training only yesterday too!
The VCTC is certainly a good qualification to have. I also think the 'working nail bar' will give you lots of experience and confidence working with the general public, something you just don't get when working on your college friends.
I'm sure others will give you some good advice and point you in the right direction.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Regards,
Karen

Emma, thanks for that - it's good to know I'm not alone! Where are you studying? I'm hoping to go to a local college, as they do various beauty & nail courses. Like you say it's difficult to know which courses to choose (especially when some are quite expensive!), but I thought that if I chose a nationwide one hopefully lots of employers should be happy with that! Good luck & maybe you'll let me know how you're getting along!

I'd def recommend VTCT in manicure and pedicure. You will gain so much knowledge from this course and it gives you a really good overview - anatomy & physiology, diseases of the nail etc. Pretty sure you can do this part time/evenings too chick.

Good luck!

G. xx

Thanks G - I have done this as a one day course with study afterwards leading to the full qualification - I've done my portfolio of treatments and waiting for final assessment date to come through. This has given me a good grounding, but do you think that'll be okay, or should I repeat it at evening school too?? I'm a little unsure as to the validity of one day courses. Thanks again! Bea.

hi kitten dont start my vtct to september part time ever saturday then when
you pass that i will be able to do nail tech im studying in braintree essex i have just moved here good luck with finding a course

Hi

Silly question.....What is VCTC? I'm doing a City and Guilds at my local college in Advanced Nail Techniques - are these the same and do they get recognised as a 'suitable' qualification when I start to look for a job?
Also, I'm hoping to do the Creative conversion after I've qualified but have heard that you have to wait a year between qualifying and doing the conversion - is this correct?

hi cate a vtct is a single module you can do part of a nvq 2 or 3 im doing part time vtct in all beauty modules so at the end i will have a nvq2

does that make sense:?: :lol:
you do have to wait a year or you could do a creative foundation course straight away

Hi

Speaking as an employer i would prefer someone who has experience and is qualified, Some girls come from college and they have done the barest minimum. My advice would be to grab as many clients as you can and also practice like mad out of college on friends ect. Experience IMO is important.

Hi Tracy

Thanks for your message! Whereabouts in Lincolnshire are you - it's where my family are from! Thanks for the advice - it's great to have such a lot of experienced people willing to give their help to us new girls!

Bea
-x-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back