Help with 13 year olds modeling portfolio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
Hi all, i need some help, i have being asked to do the makeup on a 13 year old girl for a modeling portfolio, but the photographer said she will ask the girl what look she wants " natural or if she wants to vamp it up " !!!! SHES 13 i just think agents ect would not give work to a13 year old made to look 18 thay would get a18 year old, in if thay want a 13 year old thay want her to look like a fresh faced teenager ?? ! Or do you think this is the mum in me ( i to have a 13 year old and if someone gave her dark smokie eyes and big false lashed id be gutterd ) should i do as im told or say what i think ? What do you think agents are looking for in girls this age ??

I watched a program the other day where a young girl met an agent. She was all glammed up and the agent said it was better to look natural, that is no hair dye, minimal make-up as it is age appropriate. No agency would want a sexed up 13 year old unless it was very dodgy!

it could be a dodgy agency in the sense that this girl is paying to have a portfolio done. Any true agency will not ask you to pay for a portfolio as this is what you build up with your work as and when you get it. What they normally do is have head shots done which are displayed in the agency and maybe on line.

Getting back to your question, they tend to like natural photos anyway to show natural beauty. I'd go as far as to say that at the age of 13 she shouldn't need any make up so it's not the mum in you coming out!!!!!

Thanks guys i agree, as a mum i know i wouldnt want her sexed up :( just dont understand why young girls think thay have to look like that to 'model' was going to ring a agent and ask there advice too ? I dont want to tell this girl wot she has to do but i think if she wants work she should just show what shes got naturaly ! :)

I did one recently, the girl is 15 (so a bit older but not much) we did a natural fresh faced big lips and lashes look (not hard as she was amazingly beautiful).

then we added to the make up and did a rather funky lady gaga look sequins around the cheekbones, and pop out eyes. She didnt look her age at all but I was was amazed by the photo results.

maybe thats what they mean about vamping it up??? (or am i being a bit simple?).

hi
its about showing that the model is versatile, i did it when i was 15 and i had to do a garden party look, swim suite, sporty, party and casual. the more looks she can show the more jobs she will make the final list for. The party look doesnt have to be tarty just probably needs to show she can wear colour. If she only sent in a head shot and full body shot then she would be called in for test shots anyway, which is what shes doing now
bea

Any true agency will not ask you to pay for a portfolio as this is what you build up with your work as and when you get it. What they normally do is have head shots done which are displayed in the agency and maybe on line.

This isn't completely true, You don't need professional photos to join an agency but once an agency accepts you it is often required that you get a professional portfolio, nearly always you must pay for it yourself. I've heard of a few agencies that will pay for it upfront but later take the money back out of any future earnings but nearly always you pay for your own portfolio.

This isn't completely true, You don't need professional photos to join an agency but once an agency accepts you it is often required that you get a professional portfolio, nearly always you must pay for it yourself. I've heard of a few agencies that will pay for it upfront but later take the money back out of any future earnings but nearly always you pay for your own portfolio.

I didn't say you needed one to join but an agency can ask you to get one. The majority of those agencies will be asking you to get the portfolio, suggesting someone and not getting much if any work. When you look at the big agencies you build up your portfolio from work you do, not from pictures you have paid to have taken.

Granted it may be different now but a few years ago that's the way it was. Many, many, many years ago I did a bit and my portfolio consists of photographs taken whilst on a shoot. The only time I ever paid for a photo was from a photographer that had taken a lovely picture and I asked for a bespoke print out of it.

Latest posts

Back