Help with a nail biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauraj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've done nails for people who bite them before but not for any like these. This lady has bitten her nails for ages and want to have extension to help her stop and to help them grow. The first week I went she explained that she wanted them done every week to make sure their was nothing to pick or bite so I agreed and told her the aftercare. She had bitten them badly and had very dry skin around her fingers. I did the nails, kept them short and made sure they were really well filed.

I then went the following week and had to start again with a full new set as she had picked at them and bitten them off by the middle of the week. She hadn't used cuticle oil but lots of hand cream and there was a really significant improvement in her skin around her nails. I did them again and gave her some cuticle oil and am due to go back this week. I told her to try and leave the nails on until the next appointment so we can infill.

I'm am concerned that if she keeps pulling them off it's just undoing all the hard work of trying to get them to grow as she will be damaging her nails. I'm not really sure how to tackle this one what do you think?

There's only so much you can do. If she wants to grow them, then she has to want to do it. All you can do is to continue to return on a weekly basis & if at any point in time these treatments are causing damage, then that will be the time to back off..

I would tell her (as I have told my own clients) if they pick or bite their acrylic off I won't do them again. They will be given manicures and natural nail care only, until I'm confident they won't pull them off. Quite often that's enough to make them think before nibbling. But remember nail biting can be the result of stress or nervousness which as a nail tech you can't fix, your client would need to work on that herself or find something else to do when she feels herself going for a bite. Xx

Thanks for your replies that was the thing that was worrying me that she was pulling them off. I'll see what they are like on Friday and you never know she may manage to keep them on x

Latest posts

Back