Help with airbrushing please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrie

Reaction score
Hi :)

I managed to get a second hand airbrush kit at quite a good price, but now im like :shock: it looked so easy lol but now im making a huge mess :(

I managed to get the base coat and the base colour down pat an thats looking quite good, my only problems are with the stencils, i have alot of them and they are two different types, some are round and some are rectangle shape, none of these are the sticky type.

The huge problem i am having is actually getting a snug fit with the stencil on the nail so when i take it off im getting like a smudging look, but its actually where the paint as kind of seeped under the stencil, (i hope i am explaining this right).

How do i get a snug fit with the stencil? and do i wait until the paint has dried before i remove the stencil?

Im hoping there might be some airbrushing Masters out there that might be able to give a beginner some tips? I would be most grateful :)

Kerrie :)

kerrie said:
Hi :)
The huge problem i am having is actually getting a snug fit with the stencil on the nail so when i take it off im getting like a smudging look, but its actually where the paint as kind of seeped under the stencil, (i hope i am explaining this right).

How do i get a snug fit with the stencil? and do i wait until the paint has dried before i remove the stencil?

Im hoping there might be some airbrushing Masters out there that might be able to give a beginner some tips? I would be most grateful :)

Kerrie :)

Hi Kerrie,

I am certainly not an airbrushing master but here is what I try to do.

I try to hold the stencil as follows: put your index and middle finger tight side by side and your thumb and ring finger pad to pad and slot the stencil between - it feels awkward to start with but you will get the hang of it then make the stencil into a curve to match the nail.

The sticky stencils are usually called masks rather than stencils.

If you try and spray from above rather than from the front then you should get a crisper line. The seepage is possibly from too much paint.

I hope this helps a bit but I am sure there will be loads of people come on here with their different ways which work for them.

Its needs lots of practice, (If I can, anyone can :? ) seems like you are spraying too much paint . Sturdy hand and easy on the trigger helps.

The previous posts are correct. It sounds like you are spraying too wet which will cause the paint to seep under the stencil. Remember - if you are spraying correctly the paint will be dry as soon as it hits the nail.

It takes a lot of practice to get this right but you will get there. In the meantime try to find some willing volunteers!!!!!!!!

I also am new to airbrushing and just bought one. Can some one tell me what i need to get started..ive been practicing on paper but i don't have any stencils or the finger rest yet...can anyone make any suggestions on what type of stencils i should get to get me started and a good source to buy from? TIA Jasmine

kerrie
it really sounds like your spraying too wet, you need to spray very lightly so when the paint hits the nail its dry, doing it this way means you will have to build up the colour, say if you were using white, at first it looks like its too thin and you can see through it just keep spraying untill you get the colour you want, but always spraying lightly, this way when it hits the nail its dry, if you spray too wet the air will be pushing it under the stencil, a bit like when we were kids blowing through a straw to push the wet paint in all directions.
I hope this helps you

A good place to get nail art stuff = speak to melle at allthingsnails she is really helpful and her prices are good :D
Hope i've been of help always remember spray lightly
Susanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back