Help with balayage colour choice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleyhair

Reaction score
I have a client who is 30% grey natural level 5... And colours her hair with a mix of wella kp 4.0 and 5.0 .
She would like to have balayage done although nothing too light.
So I'm thinking around a level 7?
As I work from home alone I would like some advice
I'm thinking I will use blondor and 20vol to balayage and then tone with colour touch 7.73. She doesn't want the balayage to start near the root so that she can still have her roots touched up every 6 weeks

Her roots need to be coloured at the same time. Would you do this at the same time as the balayage or do the roots first and then wash off and dry before starting the balayage??

Also do u think 7.73 is a good choice to tone with??

She likes the pic below ..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1460294847.529610.jpg

I would suggest using 30vol as u want to lift from a 4 to a 7 .
Also make sure your bleach is suitable for freehand techniques!
Also I tend to do the roots first , then wash off when developed and balayage .
Some ppl do it all together but I prefer if this way .
Also stagger the balayage pieces so that some r higher than others to look more naturel .
Toner wise , it's difficult to say with out seeing what it lifts to - it will prob be orange so u need to counteract that accordingly with your wella colour X X

Thanks lisa for your help..
I'm going to purchase blondor freelights.. I've not used it before have you? So I won't need to use any foil or film to separate the hair.
I'm going to do a strand test tomorrow with the bleach so I can choose the best colour to tone with. illumina do a 7.81 which might be better if there's too much orange after lifting
Xx

I've never used blondor but I have heard others on here say it's good !
Hope it all goes well ! Xx

I very used free lights I didn't think I've ever achieved the right level lift with it maybe I need to purchase 12% for it.

I bought the free lights and it didn't lift very well the first time I used it so its out me off using again! I always use blonder to balayage, apply the root colour first then the lightener. I wouldn't use the 7/73, either the 7/81 or 7/89 illumina.

Thanks lisa for your help..
I'm going to purchase blondor freelights.. I've not used it before have you? So I won't need to use any foil or film to separate the hair.
I'm going to do a strand test tomorrow with the bleach so I can choose the best colour to tone with. illumina do a 7.81 which might be better if there's too much orange after lifting
Xx
With the whole roots first or balayage and roots thing, I'd just go with what you feel more comfortable with doing, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer :). With the freelights use a higher level of peroxide than you normally would, also be sure to weight your powder and developer :) I find it lifts the best mixed 1:1.5, (obviously with the freelights developer) but freelights isn't designed for colour correction or anything like that, it's supposed to be subtle and usually isn't a very clean lift, I'd probably stick with blondor and mix it 1:1.5. I don't use freelights anymore :)
As for your toner it's hard to predict what colour your going to be applying your toner to. Once you've lifted the hair, dry it off and assess the colour, chose the correct tones to counteract the unwanted tones that are left in the hair. Remember if it looks like 8/3 you have to use something on an 8 base so 8/69 illumina would be ideal. If it's more like a 7 base then you'd need something with the complimentary tone but on a base 7 etc.. Hope this helps

Thank you guys... I'm going to stick with blondor to balayage and do the roots first ..
Thank you for your help.. I love this forum it's great when u work alone and just need a second opinion to give you a bit more confidence [emoji106][emoji139]

Latest posts

Back