Help with facial start up please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie <3

Reaction score
Ok, iam experiencd in the industry , but gone self employed 18months ago. I mainly do nails and waxing, I LOVE nails but really want to stay true to my beauty therapy roots and start face & body.
I am applying for a business loan, so will consolidate my current debts and start up with the rest. So I need to know, go for natural holistic brands such as eve Taylor or spa find? Or go for results driven brands such as Dermalogica OR invest in a machine or training such as dermaplane or caci?
I think relaxing and anti ageing are my target areas? I have lots of people asking for body too.
So facial girls please help xxx.

Hi Natalie, congrats on making the jump. Eve Taylor are very results driven brand and have a cosmeceutical line within their range. We ended up getting rid of Environ as we had at least equal results with Eve Taylor for a far better price point for both us and our consumers, so we have the relaxing holistic end of things but more importantly for us the end results. They do machine based products too within the range and you will retail loads and loads :)

Best of luck
S xx

Eve Taylor are great, I personally feel Dermalogica is expensive for a brand that have strayed away from being a professional only brand which I don't agree with. I don't do Caci but have heard many people say that it brings in new clients as it is such a well known brand with some great celebrity following.

This might help you to choose a skincare brand :)

Attachments

• How to choose a skincare brand.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 79
Thanks girls.
Iam just so lost atm? I rent a room at the back of a busy hair salon and have been told to think how trying to set up “spa like” tteatments will work with current background noise? I really don’t know what direction to take my business in? I would love to do HD brows, but maybe i should do a less “spa like” treatment like microdermabrasion or glycolic peels?????? I have 2 areas and just want to make use of my room xx

Don’t bother with microderm; it’s outdated, and there are far better ways to exfoliate and condition the skin.

Do you think I should stick with the face & body idea? It’s just finding the right treatments to do alongside shellac & acrylic (my main income) x

What would you recommend for exfoliation Lynne, my clients love their microderm treatments, it's been around a long time but so have a lot of other treatments, what makes you say it is outdated??

I use enzymatic exfoliators because they don't upset the acid mantle, or traumatise the skin in the way that microderm does. I agree that lots of treatments have been around for a long time but if there are more effective, less invasive methods to achieve a better result I think we should consider them. After all, we no longer re-use non strip wax because we have brilliant new waxes, and we're more educated about the risks associated with cross infection.

I highly recommend Botanicals products. They are natural, organic and smell divine! You can order a small size sample of everything with a good price which has enough to try on 6-7 clients to get feedback. I started doing holistic facial last year using their products and my clients love them. I get lots of orders as well (I don't keep them in the salon, I take orders). The start up price is not high and the products are not confusing. I found them after searching for months to find a natural safe product and I'm very happy with them. Good massage technique and good products makes the facial so relaxing that my clients can hardly walk after they get up! :) That's what people need with the hectic lifestyle we have nowadays. Stay away from big brands, they are a cocktail of chemicals which absorb to the skin and go straight to the bloodstream. I believe that we are responsible for people's health and we should know better what those chemicals are doing to us. Good luck darling.

If you have background noise and a high energy vibe from a busy hair salon, I can't see how you can add in holistic treatments where part of the client expectation is relaxation. I'd suggest that you concentrate initially on reclining chair based treatments. You dont need buy into a big brand with a huge investment straight away, start small with a toe in the water. Ask your clients what else they'd be interested in.

I have a room above a hair salon as well as a main salon. I can do machine based treatments but nothing aromatherapy - I don't think I can sell it. The only exception is Dr Schrammek Herbal Green Peel which is plant based and natural. I switched my microdermabrasion clients over to the entry level treatment. It's better because you are feeding the skin, not just scrubbing it. The full green peel is a bit hard core, so I don't do the more intensive treatments.

Another option is Heaven Skincare. These products are lovely - it's the beesting range. Unusually, Deborah Mitchell has some machine treatments which are combined with her products. The results are fantastic. Deborah is very supportive and it's really not expensive to take on the brand. With her lipolis machine you pay a deposit and then rent it. You can hand it back after 6 months if it's not working for you.

Why not buy an inexpensive ultrasound machine and some Arcaya ampoules and good (Beauty Pro?) face masks and trial anti ageing facials? If there's no interest then this is telling you something important.

Brows and lashes are big sellers. Add a branded brow treatment and lash lift first, before splashing out on loads of money for face and body.

You could add a water based pedi using something like the belava system and do a gel pedi (soak and scrub after doing the nails). You can add luxury versions with extra massage, callus peels, masks and heated booties and paraffin dips.

Bring in a new treatment every 3 months. Good luck.

If you have background noise and a high energy vibe from a busy hair salon, I can't see how you can add in holistic treatments where part of the client expectation is relaxation. I'd suggest that you concentrate initially on reclining chair based treatments. You dont need buy into a big brand with a huge investment straight away, start small with a toe in the water. Ask your clients what else they'd be interested in.

I have a room above a hair salon as well as a main salon. I can do machine based treatments but nothing aromatherapy - I don't think I can sell it. The only exception is Dr Schrammek Herbal Green Peel which is plant based and natural. I switched my microdermabrasion clients over to the entry level treatment. It's better because you are feeding the skin, not just scrubbing it. The full green peel is a bit hard core, so I don't do the more intensive treatments.

Another option is Heaven Skincare. These products are lovely - it's the beesting range. Unusually, Deborah Mitchell has some machine treatments which are combined with her products. The results are fantastic. Deborah is very supportive and it's really not expensive to take on the brand. With her lipolis machine you pay a deposit and then rent it. You can hand it back after 6 months if it's not working for you.

Why not buy an inexpensive ultrasound machine and some Arcaya ampoules and good (Beauty Pro?) face masks and trial anti ageing facials? If there's no interest then this is telling you something important.
yes I get what your saying! I have had lots of clients asking if I do facials? And even some asking me for a massage?? So that’s why iam lost and wondering what direction to take it in xx

Brows and lashes are big sellers. Add a branded brow treatment and lash lift first, before splashing out on loads of money for face and body.

You could add a water based pedi using something like the belava system and do a gel pedi (soak and scrub after doing the nails). You can add luxury versions with extra massage, callus peels, masks and heated booties and paraffin dips.

Bring in a new treatment every 3 months. Good luck.
I was thinking of re training in my semi permanent lashes! I gave a certificate but my personal lash tech said she could re train me for £40 a session. Also thinking of investing in the HD brow and defo lash lift too!! Xxx

yes I get what your saying! I have had lots of clients asking if I do facials? And even some asking me for a massage?? So that’s why iam lost and wondering what direction to take it in xx
ALSO! Does anyone think a caci machine would work?? I know they are v v expensive xx

Defo go for brows and lashes - but HD is quite an investment. You could train in Billion Dollar Brows for a fraction of the cost. (I'm a trainer) When I first started my salon we started very small and a brow treatment was my first investment in a branded treatment. I'd also recommend training in Lash lifting as well - you'd be up and running faster than with semi permanents and you can add SP extensions later when you're ready.

Ask yourself how many treatments you can afford to do for nothing. This is your break even point. If the answer is one a week for 6 months, you can invest 20x the cost of a treatment.

Massage is very cheap to offer if you're already trained. Add 30 mins back neck and shoulder or Indian Head Massages and see what the take-up is. I have a problem with noise in my salon at busy times of the day. We control our massage bookings carefully avoiding peak times. If you make a note of quieter days/times, offer massage at those times and talk to the hairdressers - see if they can help.

Music helps. I play Spanish guitar music which copes quite well with background noise. Some types of music needs a quiet background so avoid whale music and pan pipes. You could even make the music part of the treatment and offer Opera or Rock! I also have a quiet fan which drowns out the intrusive detail of conversation. If I've got a client talking about death/miscarriage/sex - all personal stuff, I switch the fan on so that the whole salon isn't listening in.

Don't invest in a big bucks facial machine. Or at least not until you've got an established facial business. It's too much of a risk I've seen too many excellent therapists go bust by splashing out on luxury machines.

Defo go for brows and lashes - but HD is quite an investment. You could train in Billion Dollar Brows for a fraction of the cost. (I'm a trainer) When I first started my salon we started very small and a brow treatment was my first investment in a branded treatment. I'd also recommend training in Lash lifting as well - you'd be up and running faster than with semi permanents and you can add SP extensions later when you're ready.

Ask yourself how many treatments you can afford to do for nothing. This is your break even point. If the answer is one a week for 6 months, you can invest 20x the cost of a treatment.

Massage is very cheap to offer if you're already trained. Add 30 mins back neck and shoulder or Indian Head Massages and see what the take-up is. I have a problem with noise in my salon at busy times of the day. We control our massage bookings carefully avoiding peak times. If you make a note of quieter days/times, offer massage at those times and talk to the hairdressers - see if they can help.

Music helps. I play Spanish guitar music which copes quite well with background noise. Some types of music needs a quiet background so avoid whale music and pan pipes. You could even make the music part of the treatment and offer Opera or Rock! I also have a quiet fan which drowns out the intrusive detail of conversation. If I've got a client talking about death/miscarriage/sex - all personal stuff, I switch the fan on so that the whole salon isn't listening in.

Don't invest in a big bucks facial machine. Or at least not until you've got an established facial business. It's too much of a risk I've seen too many excellent therapists go bust by splashing out on luxury machines.
Thank you so much!! your totally right! Such good advice!!! I dont want to be in debt and nothing to show!!! I do massage so defo food for thought there too! I will take it all on board and will definitely look in to billion dollar brows too thanks xxx

Ok, iam experiencd in the industry , but gone self employed 18months ago. I mainly do nails and waxing, I LOVE nails but really want to stay true to my beauty therapy roots and start face & body.
I am applying for a business loan, so will consolidate my current debts and start up with the rest. So I need to know, go for natural holistic brands such as eve Taylor or spa find? Or go for results driven brands such as Dermalogica OR invest in a machine or training such as dermaplane or caci?
I think relaxing and anti ageing are my target areas? I have lots of people asking for body too.
So facial girls please help xxx.

Hi Natalie,
I recommend Kathleen Natural.
It’s is a new British brand that is organic and natural plus mostly vegan friendly and they are not tested on animals.
We do a small starter kit which includes what you need to start up facials. This kit also contains 2 hand held/portable devices. A sonic cleansing device to deep cleanse and a ionic non surgical face lift device.
When you purchase a kit full training is given.

There are also organic body massage oils and a new anti cellulite contouring device (Power Sculpt).

I hope this is of some interest to you.

Many thanks
Rachel

Latest posts

Back