Help with hair please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara-Jane

Reaction score
Hi all hair geeks

I'm after some advice, my hair is naturally a really light blonde, orange under tones, bordering on a light ginger colour - that's the best I can explain as I'm in no way a hair person!

For as long as I can remember I've used a box dye at home - John Frieda 5A Medium ash brown, which comes up really dark on my hair

I want to go back to my natural colour and have some blonde put through it, I've been to 2 different salons near me, both told me its going to be to hard to achieve this and basically told me they can't do it

Now my question is - are they incompetent or not confident enough or is it really impossible? And if not impossible, how do I go about finding a good reputable salon, very nervous to go to a hairdressers, I only have my hair trimmed every 8 weeks by a girl I know and then my box dye, very low maintenance on my hair, I just want something different though

My hair isn't in bad condition and I don't want to end up ruining it x

Hi I'm a student but I know that tint does not lift tint therefor for you to go lighter you only have few options, desperate measure being hair stripper which will strip all the dark but you will be left with a orange/red, you could just continue with hilights, adding olaplex makes it much gentler on the hair or you can grow it out , but like I say I'm only a student so I'd be keen to hear what other options they're are.

(Edited to remove technical advice)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for you input but I have no idea what half of that means lol I'm useless with hair

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry lol, well with the tint lifting tint , you say you want to go back natural , any box dye or tint applied to your hair in a lighter shade than you've already got will not make it lighter, therefor that's why you will need pre lightened /bleach X

As you've been re-applying box dyes onto already coloured hair, you now have colour build up. That's why it looks so dark. The hair is saturated with colour.

To get it lighter, it will need to be removed and the gentlest way is for a colourist to use a professional colour remover.

It will take two or more processes to get it near to your natural colour plus the addition of highlights so you will be paying out for a colour correction, which won't be cheap. Colour correction training isn't offered on the basic hairdressing course so the hairdresser will need to have completed advanced training in order to offer this service.

Box colours can be tricky to remove as you don't want to be left with patchy blotches so I would expect the colourist to want to take a strand test first and give you a skin/patch test. If they don't insist on you having a skin test, walk away. That's not a good sign!

Plenty of hairdressers will 'have a go' but if you want to leave the salon with shiny swishy hair that's beautifully coloured, spend some time researching a good colourist/salon. This is not the time to look for the cheapest option as you're likely to be disappointed.

As you've been re-applying box dyes onto already coloured hair, you now have colour build up. That's why it looks so dark. The hair is saturated with colour.

To get it lighter, it will need to be removed and the gentlest way is for a colourist to use a professional colour remover.

It will take two or more processes to get it near to your natural colour plus the addition of highlights so you will be paying out for a colour correction, which won't be cheap. Colour correction training isn't offered on the basic hairdressing course so the hairdresser will need to have completed advanced training in order to offer this service.

Box colours can be tricky to remove as you don't want to be left with patchy blotches so I would expect the colourist to want to take a strand test first and give you a skin/patch test. If they don't insist on you having a skin test, walk away. That's not a good sign!

Plenty of hairdressers will 'have a go' but if you want to leave the salon with shiny swishy hair that's beautifully coloured, spend some time researching a good colourist/salon. This is not the time to look for the cheapest option as you're likely to be disappointed.

Thank you for your reply, sounds like a long process, would you say it would be quite damaging to my hair to have it done?

No, it's not damaging providing the colourist uses a colour remover that isn't bleach based and if you combine the service with Olaplex treatments, that will improve the condition and it will look much better than an all over box colour.

Unfortunately, reapplying box colours (that require you to mix two products together) will have a damaging effect on the cuticle layer over time so this can make your hair quite porous. If it's porous, it won't hold colour very well and will fade quickly. When the cuticle layer is very damaged, no amount of products or treatments will improve it.

No, it's not damaging providing the colourist uses a colour remover that isn't bleach based and if you combine the service with Olaplex treatments, that will improve the condition and it will look much better than an all over box colour.

Unfortunately, reapplying box colours (that require you to mix two products together) will have a damaging effect on the cuticle layer over time so this can make your hair quite porous. If it's porous, it won't hold colour very well and will fade quickly. When the cuticle layer is very damaged, no amount of products or treatments will improve it.

Ok thanks for your help, much appreciated [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back