help with l&p on small nail beds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katieA

Reaction score
i did a set of nails two weeks ago on a client using natural tips. her nail beds were tiny and are full of ridges. i dont know why but i couldnt get the tips to blend nicely resulting in me overblending them and her losing most of her nails since her last appointment. anyway she is in again with me on thursday morning and i have said i will do her a new full set for the price of her infills as i feel it is my fault she has lost most of them. do you have any advice on fitting and blending the tips as i dont want the same thing to happen again. thanks xx

can you sculpt?

i have tried it on my training but struggle fit the forms

what about using gelbond? to fit the tips?

Maybe you were unable to blend the tips because of the ridges on the natual nail?

Perhaps you could GENTLY buff the ridges down to a minimum before applying the tips so they fit nice and snug. Obviously you do not want to thin the nail plate so you would have to be very careful and gentle.

As was said before, I would probably sculpt if possible. hth x

i have run out of gelbond and am eagerly waiting to get an order, does gelbond help to blend the tips easier? i have got speedbond x

Maybe you were unable to blend the tips because of the ridges on the natual nail?

Perhaps you could GENTLY buff the ridges down to a minimum before applying the tips so they fit nice and snug. Obviously you do not want to thin the nail plate so you would have to be very careful and gentle.

As was said before, I would probably sculpt if possible. hth x
good idea should i buff with a white block or koala? if i try and sculpt do i place zone one up to or over the free edge? xx

A new white buffer should be sufficient.

As for sculpting you apply the white up to the free edge just as you would when using a tip and continue as normal with pink in zones 2 and 3.

If you are not confident with sculpt yet I would suggest you try buffing. Sculpting onto a form is a bit more trickly than onto a tip as the form is designed to repel the acrylic and therefore is a bit more slippery. Hope this make sense!

good idea should i buff with a white block or koala? if i try and sculpt do i place zone one up to or over the free edge? xx

first of all, gelbond will help with the ridges, as it will sit in the ridges, and create a better fit,
it doesnt help with blending though,, thats down to you!!
for sculpting , fit the form correctly and apply the zone 1 either of 2 ways, ie
no 1 apply thin layer upto the free edge as if you are trying to make a tip, then get another bead and apply on top of the first layer and over the free edge to create your smile line and smooth over the existing product,
or,,
no 2 apply a bead big enough to place on the form , push up to and over the natural smile line, create your new smile line and smooth down to create the zone 1
go with whatever you feel more comfortable doing
hth

if its the ridges on the nail that are causing the problem, try applying a very thin overlay to the nails before you put the tips on. this will fill in the ridges and give you a smooth surface to blend on and you wont risk thinning the nail if you were to buff the ridges out.

i personally wouldnt buff the ridges away
jmho x

A new white buffer should be sufficient.

As for sculpting you apply the white up to the free edge just as you would when using a tip and continue as normal with pink in zones 2 and 3.

If you are not confident with sculpt yet I would suggest you try buffing. Sculpting onto a form is a bit more trickly than onto a tip as the form is designed to repel the acrylic and therefore is a bit more slippery. Hope this make sense!
yes i think i might just try buffing slightly this time to be on the safe side!!

Build a platform off the edge of the free edge as thick as the natural nail and to the shape of the finished nail.. pick up another smaller bead and place just above where u want the smile line... pat out to sides, smooth the rest down over the platform u have just made, and create your smile line.. touch up anywhere that needs it.. apply your pink and your away laughing.

if its the ridges on the nail that are causing the problem, try applying a very thin overlay to the nails before you put the tips on. this will fill in the ridges and give you a smooth surface to blend on and you wont risk thinning the nail if you were to buff the ridges out.
thats a good idea will the tip adhere to the overlay?

just one more point. It may not have been the over blending that caused her to loose some nails.
The tip should only be a canvas and the strength should come from the product.
Maybe you need to make sure you have enough acrylic on the stress area, zone 2.

Just a thought, good luck anyway! x

just one more point. It may not have been the over blending that caused her to loose some nails.
The tip should only be a canvas and the strength should come from the product.
Maybe you need to make sure you have enough acrylic on the stress area, zone 2.

Just a thought, good luck anyway! x
she has really tiny nail beds would you still apply to all three zones or just two?

If you feel one bead is enough to cover zones 2 and 3 just make sure you taper the bead thinly into the zone 3 area and make sure there is sufficient product in zone 2 for strength, i,e, build a good apex.

Just make sure u only use tiny beads each time to compensate for the small area and that way you can add more product in zone 2 if needed.

personally im thinking the redges are the problem not the small nail beds. I have very small nail beds there are like a childs and I or anyone else have problems with fitting or keeping my nails on

personally im thinking the redges are the problem not the small nail beds. I have very small nail beds there are like a childs and I or anyone else have problems with fitting or keeping my nails on
Yes, the ridges could well be the problem.....when doing your prep, be really really thorough, because crap can sit in those ridges and cause lifting, use the scrubfresh/nailfresh/scrubfresh sandwhich too!

Latest posts

Back