Help with microblading startup?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictoriaHeron

Reaction score
Hi all! I've tried to find this information using the search feature but I haven't had any luck, so please redirect me if I've missed anything. This could be a little bit long but please bare with me, any feedback would be so so helpful <3

I've worked as a makeup artist for the past three/four years, but I stopped near the end of last year. At the end of 2015, I trained in some beauty qualifications, and my plan was to do beauty instead (I find I enjoy both but I suffer from anxiety and depression and beauty did not have the same pressure involved such as doing makeup for wedding parties, getting a lot less bookings during the week etc). Unfortunately I had a bad spell with my depression not long after I trained so I wasn't able to start up right away.

Earlier this year, once I was feeling slightly better, I got a job at a call centre. We didn't have the money to set up my beauty venture and I really wanted to contribute something to the household. I've tried my best at this job but I hate it, it makes me anxious every day and I barely sleep. The people are lovely and the company is very accommodating but I just don't think I am suited to this job. My partner and I kept mentioning the beauty idea but that's all that ever really happened.

So yesterday, I traveled to Liverpool (I'm from near Newcastle) to get my eyebrows microbladed. I'd talked about training in this before as I love doing eyebrows but we didn't have the money for me to train. I think going to this salon and seeing the treatment in person and experiencing how different it made me feel about my face made us think seriously about it. We've talked and we think we could potentially lend the money from my father in law for me to train and set up, but I really need to research and be sure about this first. I'm only 23 and I feel like I don't have anything my own, I'm embarrassed to tell people what I do, not because there's anything wrong with my job but because everyone else seems to do so much more, and I just want to feel good about my career and that I'm helping with the bills etc. It would also be nice to enjoy what I do!

Basically, I have (quite a lot of) questions, if you can answer ANY of them it would be a major help and thank you so so much if you have made it this far!

Would you consider having microblading done yourself?
Do you know anyone who has had it done or is considered having it done?
What would you be prepared to pay for microblading, if you got it?
How would you go about finding someone to carry out the service?
Would you feel better having it done by someone who has previously done other beauty treatments for you?
In your opinion, would it be beneficial to offer other beauty services alongside microblading?
Would you travel to someone if you preferred their work to others in your area? How far?
What would encourage you to visit one brow artist over another?
Any other insights?

Thank you soooo much! If you feel like including any demographicy things (age, occupation, location etc) that would be great but totally not necessary :) thank you thank you thank you!

Hi all! I've tried to find this information using the search feature but I haven't had any luck, so please redirect me if I've missed anything. This could be a little bit long but please bare with me, any feedback would be so so helpful <3

I've worked as a makeup artist for the past three/four years, but I stopped near the end of last year. At the end of 2015, I trained in some beauty qualifications, and my plan was to do beauty instead (I find I enjoy both but I suffer from anxiety and depression and beauty did not have the same pressure involved such as doing makeup for wedding parties, getting a lot less bookings during the week etc). Unfortunately I had a bad spell with my depression not long after I trained so I wasn't able to start up right away.

Earlier this year, once I was feeling slightly better, I got a job at a call centre. We didn't have the money to set up my beauty venture and I really wanted to contribute something to the household. I've tried my best at this job but I hate it, it makes me anxious every day and I barely sleep. The people are lovely and the company is very accommodating but I just don't think I am suited to this job. My partner and I kept mentioning the beauty idea but that's all that ever really happened.

So yesterday, I traveled to Liverpool (I'm from near Newcastle) to get my eyebrows microbladed. I'd talked about training in this before as I love doing eyebrows but we didn't have the money for me to train. I think going to this salon and seeing the treatment in person and experiencing how different it made me feel about my face made us think seriously about it. We've talked and we think we could potentially lend the money from my father in law for me to train and set up, but I really need to research and be sure about this first. I'm only 23 and I feel like I don't have anything my own, I'm embarrassed to tell people what I do, not because there's anything wrong with my job but because everyone else seems to do so much more, and I just want to feel good about my career and that I'm helping with the bills etc. It would also be nice to enjoy what I do!

Basically, I have (quite a lot of) questions, if you can answer ANY of them it would be a major help and thank you so so much if you have made it this far!

Would you feel better having it done by someone who has previously done other beauty treatments for you?
In your opinion, would it be beneficial to offer other beauty services alongside microblading?
Would you travel to someone if you preferred their work to others in your area? How far?
Any other insights?

Thank you soooo much! If you feel like including any demographicy things (age, occupation, location etc) that would be great but totally not necessary :) thank you thank you thank you!

Hi,

I've been thinking about having this done. I think micro blading looks very natural. I prefer the hair stroke look and hate the block of solid colour brows.

There's a lady on Facebook who does micro blading and she's based around the Derby area I think her page is called On Fleek Brows or something similar.

I know lots of girls who want this done but are wanting this natural look, they all tell me to find someone to go to and once I have mine done they'll follow lol.

To answer your questions I think £200- £250 is a reasonable price for this. I'm based in the Midlands, perhaps you may be able to charge a bit more where you live.

In terms of searching for someone to do this treatment I'd probably have a Google, look for a website. Facebook and Instagram are great advertising tools.

I personally would feel more comfortable going to someone who has a beauty or make up background like yourself. You could offer other brow services such as threading or waxing or HD brows. I'd want to know that your good at shaping brows prior to committing to have this micro landing service.

I would be willing to travel for this service.

The main thing for me would be having an emphasis on hygiene! Knowing the treatment is going to take place in a clean environment.

To be honest, i think you'll be good at this. I've seen some of your comments on other makeup related posts and you know your stuff. You should still continue with your make up artistry and be confident in your abilities and you'll be fine! You should give micro blading a go also. You don't have to limit yourself to just one area.

Hope this helps. X

Okay dead honest answer here.

No I wouldn't have it done but that's just me. I think some people doing it are great and some are shockingly bad.

If I was recommending it to a client I would suggest they travel to someone good, not the girl who does it down the road. Do their homework.

If you plan to do it please please do your research for training. There are some really bad training companies out there. Look for historically excellent training and reviews.

My only niggle. I have been in the beauty industry for many years. I do a hell of a lot of eyebrows. You have talked a lot about your anxiety. Do you think using a blade and colour to do someone's brows will stress you? Is it something you could cope with? You have to be totally honest with yourself or you're throwing good money away.

Is it worth using your qualifications to set up doing beauty and getting back into it without suddenly doing something completely new?

I'm now talking as the mother of a 23 year old so I apologise. Just seriously think if you can do this. I would find microblading a set of brows far far more stressful than a room full of wedding make ups.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Vic x

Hi in answer to your questions

YES I HAVE HAD IT DONE SIX MONTHS AGO LOVE TJAT I NO LONGER HAVE TO PENCIL BROWS IN AGAIN HAPPY WOTH THE RESULTS

YES ME

I PAID £350

I RESEARCHED FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE COMMITTING AND STUDIED HER WORK I ALSO ASKED TO GO FOR A CONSULTATION BEFORE MAKING A DECISION

NOT NECESSARILY

AGAIN IT DEPENDS ....THE LADT THAY DID MY NROWS IS A BEAUTY THERAPIST BUT NOW ONLY DOES MICROBLADING

YES I DID I TRAVELLED 100 MILES ROUND TRIP

Any other insights?
EXPERIENCE PROFESSIONALISM LARGE PORTFOLIO OF EXCELLENT WORK EXCELLENT TESTIMONIALS FOR ME IT WAS ALSO THE FACT THAT I WAS GIVEN A FREE CONSULTATION WHICH INVOLVED DRAWING ON MY BROWS SO I COULD SEE THE EFFECT ETC WHICH TOOK HALF HOUR AND AT THAT STAGE IT WAS AGREED IF I WASNT HAPPY I WOULDNT COMMIT

I'm 41 a beauty therapist from Kent

Hope that answers everything ...what I will say is think very hard before committing it is a lot of money to train to do this and you will need to be confident in what you do....I don't want to sound harsh when I say this but if you felt under pressure doing makeup then this type of work also comes with added pressure with makeup if it goes wrong you can wash it off microblading you can't! I would just say think seriously as this could bring on more stress and anxiety for you....but on the flip you could love it and excel .....

Could you not maybe do some beauty work at the weekends and evenings to build a clientele and see what response you get that way your still bringing an income on but you have some focus on doing something you enjoy and seeing whether you can make it work? Good luck with whatever you choose to do x

I've trained in microblading and to be honest, it's most definately not stress free. I would be very very good at brows, but I'm putting a lot of time and effort into practicing and while I'm getting much better I'm still struggling with it and 5 months later I'm still practicing on skin stimulation.

During my course there was 10 of us there and out of 10 only 2 had absolutely no prior microblading experience. The other girls all had additional courses completed.

You won't do this course in two days and be able to walk out qualified and able to work on people.

Also, factor in the cost of making your salon ready for microblading. Sinks, splashbacks, having the council inspect it before starting treatment. You'll need sharps bin, autoclave, a sink for hand washing, sink for utensils etc

Thank you so much for all your responses! Strangely enough the thought of being responsible for someone's eyebrows doesn't give me anxiety, of course I'd be practicing loads but I think because I could give myself the time I needed it could be less stressful for me. With makeup, the rush on the weekend to fit people in and get them done or the pressure of doing a wedding party to be ready by a certain time was a big factor. With any beauty treatment, I like that you can get it done any day, you're not just confined to wanting it a few hours before you go out etc.

DramaQueen, I've factored in the cost of getting a license from the council, organising a sharps collection contract etc. Do you know if the room you're in needs to have a sink, or just access to one in the premises? I've contacted the council but, as usual, they're taking forever to get back to me!

Thank you so much for all your responses! Strangely enough the thought of being responsible for someone's eyebrows doesn't give me anxiety, of course I'd be practicing loads but I think because I could give myself the time I needed it could be less stressful for me. With makeup, the rush on the weekend to fit people in and get them done or the pressure of doing a wedding party to be ready by a certain time was a big factor. With any beauty treatment, I like that you can get it done any day, you're not just confined to wanting it a few hours before you go out etc.

DramaQueen, I've factored in the cost of getting a license from the council, organising a sharps collection contract etc. Do you know if the room you're in needs to have a sink, or just access to one in the premises? I've contacted the council but, as usual, they're taking forever to get back to me!
In the room as it's supposed to be exclusively used for microblading equipment

Also factor in the cost of marketing. Whatever you spend on training allow 1.5x/2x this for marketing. A high end treatment needs high end brand development and marketing.

@BannerPenguin really?! I've allocated about £300 for advertising initally and a further £50 for flyers and business cards. I couldn't possibly afford £4000-£6000 for marketing. There are a few businesses near me opened by people I know who have managed without such a big budget so hopefully I'll be one of them, keep your fingers crossed for me!

@BannerPenguin really?! I've allocated about £300 for advertising initally and a further £50 for flyers and business cards. I couldn't possibly afford £4000-£6000 for marketing. There are a few businesses near me opened by people I know who have managed without such a big budget so hopefully I'll be one of them, keep your fingers crossed for me!
That was an estimate. I wasn't aware how much the training is.

There are cheaper options but as a guideline
Anywhere between £50-£199 for a logo
Flyer & Business Card design between £50 - £100
Print of flyers and business cards depend on quantity and quality of course.
A professional website designed to target a high paying clientele £400 - £600 depending on amount of pages. Could be less if only have a couple of pages.

I hope this helps :)

@BannerPenguin ohh I'm so glad I was worried there! I'm very lucky, my brother owns a web design company so he'll be making my website. I've designed a few logos/flyers for other people (including myself when I did makeup) so I'll hopefully be able to come up with something I like! I do have wiggle room in the budget for having the logo and business cards/flyers designed if I can't do them myself to a standard I'm happy with so that's handy too.

Latest posts

Back