help with natural nail overlay!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkshell_nails

Reaction score
Hi there, can anyone give me any advice when it comes to overlaying the natural nail with acrylic.?
Whenever i do it, after a few days the natural nail starts to curl away from the acrylic, and its really frustrating! Ive heard you guys mention "capping" the nail when doing sculptures or natural nail overlay but am not sure how to do this, any advice would be greatly received!

Thank you!

Michelle xx :mad: :sad: :mad:

Hi Michelle

Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who has had this problem. Sadly can't help you but at least you know you're not the only one. Hopefully someone knows the answer on here and the problem will be solved.

Shelley:biggrin:

Well the secret to success is to use sculpting forms under each nail and to extend the natural nail overlay just a tiny bit beyond the free edge and sides. this way, the free edge is 'caught' by the overlay and can't curl away from it.

I did sculpt my own nails, and they have grown so much now that it is my own nail overlayed with acrylic, should i just always add a tiny amount of length to cap the free edge of the nail then geeg?

Michelle.x

pinkshell_nails said:
I did sculpt my own nails, and they have grown so much now that it is my own nail overlayed with acrylic, should i just always add a tiny amount of length to cap the free edge of the nail then geeg?

Michelle.x

If you angle your abrasive at 45degrees when filing, then there is always a little bit of overlay extending beyond the free edge. The sides are important though!! You must always make sure when you rebalance that you 'curl' your product round the sides that have grown out to make sure they are 'caught'. Make sure your file very gently when finishing so you don't then remove it again :rolleyes: . You will never get curling if you do this.

I think the Geek wrote a tutorial called curlingonysuckis or some such word that only he could think up. I'm sure he goes over this technique in that as well. This is the sort of technique taught on Master Classes and it works.

geeg said:
Well the secret to success is to use sculpting forms under each nail and to extend the natural nail overlay just a tiny bit beyond the free edge and sides. this way, the free edge is 'caught' by the overlay and can't curl away from it.
would this method work well for a gel overlay ?

Its even that much more important with gels as most gels shrink more than l&p.
It is the shrinkage and pulling away from the edges of the nail that is most likely causing your anguish :D
Do as Gigi mentioned to clamp in the edges.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back