HELP with NVQ 2 Nail course!? Scam?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-Carley-x

Reaction score
I recently started a NVQ Nail Services course in February - March 2012. First I trained in manicure and pedicure, one day. I didn’t get asked to go back in then for around 6 weeks. I was then assessed in manicure and pedicure, and passed. Again, weeks went by and I didn’t hear much. In the meantime I was emailing her, with no reply. I still hadn’t got any books or the memory stick with the work I had to complete on. So I tried again. I had an email with a date to go in. I went in, did acrylics, and picked up my memory stick and books. I got home and the memory stick was the wrong course!! So I took it back to her and she said she’d post it back to me, with the correct work. I received it in the post along with a list of dates. BUT when I plugged the memory stick into my computer, it was all in Mac “.pages” files, so I couldn’t view them on my Windows computer. Luckily, I am skilled with the computer so had to spend two hours converting them.
Then I realised the book I had was a Beauty Therapy textbook only, when I’m on a nail course. I also to this date haven’t had the assessment book, so still have no idea what images and portfolio evidence I’m supposed to be doing. I have been there a maximum of approximately 5-6 times since starting. Finding it difficult to progress.
Today I got asked to go in and when I went in, demo of acrylics YET again. For the 3rd time, and something I’m very confident and pushing to be assessed in to which she gave me 6th August, to be assessed.
Now this is what angered me, she said to me today “If you’re not finished by October mind, I’m going to have to charge you extra, for my services and time”... “An extra £300”. I was horrified!!!!
I borrowed the money for the course from a family member to invest in my future and provide a better future for me. I am not progressing in my course and not being treated very well.
How am I supposed to finish before October when she isn’t teaching me anything? Why should I pay her any more?
I paid to pass my course and teach me! And in the current situation I may as well have thrown a load of money away, as thats exactly what I have done!
I’d preferably like to pass my course, if not I would like a full refund, but I can imagine her being very co operative.

Some advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact your local Trading Standards office for advice. If they can't help they will know who can. Good luck!:D

If this is an NVQ course you are undertaking, maybe try to contact the exam board that is providing the qualification and letting them know. This is no way to run an NVQ course - I used to teach NVQs, and this is not satisfactory. They should be assessing AND supporting you the whole way through your learning.

Latest posts

Back