Help with ombré (Baby Boomer)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurakel88

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm pretty new to nails but feeling fairly confident to improve my skills and start offering ombré nails as this is what everyone is wanting in my area.
I have been watching YouTube videos and get how they are done but I just can't seem to perfect them myself.
I am using NSI Radiant White and Purely Pink masque (also tried with Rose Blush opaque) Firstly am I using correct colours?
I am a sculptor so I prep nail, apply form then go in with the Radiant white above free edge then feather down and make it thin towards where the blend will be. I then go in with my pink colour and blend up over say half of the white.
At his stage they look great after filing until I add Glaze & Go and set under lamp, once I add the glaze & Go it seems to make the acrylic more see though and the blend just looks rubbish and can be seen right through nail.
I have added pictures in the hope somebody can point out what I may be doing wrong. This is really fustrating me and any help/ advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks for reading :)

Picture

Attachments

• IMG_8584.JPG
    IMG_8584.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 142
You can't ombre with a sheer pink which is think is what Purely Pink Masque is (sorry not an NSI user) you need an opaque coverage pink to hide the white. Also double check your bead ratio, if it's too wet the colour will not be opaque and you will see the white underneath.

You have the right technique it's about pefecting it now and no amount of video watching will sort that, you need to just do it. You need to understand how your product behaves, how much to need to blend out the white, how much liquid you need in your pink bead to maintain the solid colour. All this is down to practice. You can also cap in a clear pink, this helps with 'softening' the blend and leaves you clear to final buff without buffing through the colours and ruining the blend

Thanks for that, I guess I just need to get practising! Am I right to be using Radiant white or is there a lighter white colour I could be using which might help with the blend as I won't be as strong.
Thanks x

Thanks for that, I guess I just need to get practising! Am I right to be using Radiant white or is there a lighter white colour I could be using which might help with the blend as I won't be as strong.
Thanks x

You can ombre any colour, some will blend easier than others, a softer white will blend easier as it's not such a colour contrast, but I'd say work with what you've got initially. How many clients are/will have ombre? Is it financially viable to spend £10/15/whatever on a pot of powder for one or two clients? If everyone is asking for them then of course it makes sense, but you already have products that will work once you master the technique.

Latest posts

Back