Help with one client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samac

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am having problems with a lady who is coming to me regularly for a Hollywood. She is in absolute agony. I only use hot wax with a pre wax oil, only wax small areas at a time and put pressure on the area straight after removing wax. I know it's never going to be completely painless but this is very difficult to deal with as I feel so cruel. On occasion she hasn't felt it so bad but then the next wax will be awful. She is having it done every 4 weeks. I find the hair super tough on the lip area and can be really hard to remove the hair from this area. I always support the skin when removing wax. Any ideas or tips to help this lady have a more pleasant experience. Thank you xx

I don't actually do Hollywoods but have them done myself, and my therapist suggests to people who find the waxing particularly painful to maybe take some paracetamol about 30mins before their appointment?
I don't know whether this would be effective, but might be worth a try! Xxx

What brand do you use?

Perhaps she is just a very sensitive person. I agree with taking painkillers half an hour before. I know some places like perron rigot sell a retail numbing gel to help make the area less sensitive.

Were you taught to do quite small areas? I do the back first on hands and knees, then turn over and do the front in roughly 6 strips plus any tidy up.

I do 3 strips either side, so apply the first one on the outermost part of the bikini line covering the whole strip of hair top to bottom. Then other side, remove, apply next strip and so on. You can pull off the bottom half, move your stretching hand up then remove the top half.

I find clients with a low pain threshold like it because you can say just one more strip on each side and we're done, for example x

Hi. Thank you for your reply. She has actually tried this and didn't find it worked very well. Xx

What brand do you use?

Perhaps she is just a very sensitive person. I agree with taking painkillers half an hour before. I know some places like perron rigot sell a retail numbing gel to help make the area less sensitive.

Were you taught to do quite small areas? I do the back first on hands and knees, then turn over and do the front in roughly 6 strips plus any tidy up.

I do 3 strips either side, so apply the first one on the outermost part of the bikini line covering the whole strip of hair top to bottom. Then other side, remove, apply next strip and so on. You can pull off the bottom half, move your stretching hand up then remove the top half.

I find clients with a low pain threshold like it because you can say just one more strip on each side and we're done, for example x
Thanks for your reply. I was trained with waxperts so the technique is completely different. Small sections starting at the top.
I think I will have a look at numbing creams.

Thanks again. X

Hopefully someone who works with waxperts will be along soon who might be more help.

I've never worked with that brand. At home i use perron rigot and in my part time job i use lycon. They are so different in the way you use them x

Hi There, I trained with WAXU for intimate waxing and my clients have said that it is a lot more comfortable than other brands/techniques. HTH x

I've been a model for 3 different trainers, one of them being waxperts. For me, this one was the most painful and it seemed to go on forever!!

We use waxperts in our salon so it's not the wax.

Hi guys

I am having problems with a lady who is coming to me regularly for a Hollywood. She is in absolute agony. I only use hot wax with a pre wax oil, only wax small areas at a time and put pressure on the area straight after removing wax. I know it's never going to be completely painless but this is very difficult to deal with as I feel so cruel. On occasion she hasn't felt it so bad but then the next wax will be awful. She is having it done every 4 weeks. I find the hair super tough on the lip area and can be really hard to remove the hair from this area. I always support the skin when removing wax. Any ideas or tips to help this lady have a more pleasant experience. Thank you xx
Hi guys

Hi there,

Yes the best thing to do is to make sure you are applying the wax in small sections and gliding over the skin on removal to ease the sting .

Also to make sure you are contanstly applying the pre wax oil onto the area been waxed so there is always a barrier on the skin.

Another reason could be she may be anticipating the pull so make sure to bring the wax out to the most hair free area so there is no picking in hair on removal.

When working on the more intimate areas or areas that the hair is stronger/coarser
Maybe use a cool cotton pad with the Waxperts cleanser as this will cool and calm the skin .
If you do this make sure to reapply the pre wail oil again afterwards.

Also is your client on any medication that makes her nerve endings more prone to discomfort?
Does she drink a lot of caffeine/Coffee this call also make your client more apprehensive

x

Last edited:
When she is having her wax done is it near her time of the month? This can make it more sensitive for clients especially in the intimate areas? Who did you train with it may be worthwhile contacting your educator and going along with this client to see if there is anything diffierent that you could be doing or if there is a slightly different way of doing it with your educator that will make it as pain free as possible for your client. Maybe suggest some ibruprofen along with the paracetamol before hand will help.
The thing to remember also is now the client has had experience with it being painful she will now be sub consciously pre-empting it to hurt already and will automatically tense up which will make it more painful. I would suggest advise her to bring some headphones with her and some soothing music on her phone to try and take her mind off it. Also as well as applying pressure apply the cool cotton pad in the area straight away as this can help take the sting out of it.
Jeni xx

Hi guys

I have been trained in lycon, Perron rigot and most recently with waxperts, and have 30 years experience with waxing.
There will always be a drastic difference between clients pain thresholds.
Am I right in thinking you said that she has experienced a less painful Wax with you as well as sometimes it can be very painful?
If this is the case, I would say that the pain killer option is a must.
She is likely more sensitive at her time of the month.
Start recording when her period is, to see if you can see a connection.
Could she be pregnant?
I personally find waxperts technique to be the less painful of the 3 I have experienced, and our clients agree.
Hopefully she can get some relief from the painkillers and avoid the week before her period.
I would check with the numbing cream, to make sure you can remove it fully before waxing, just in case it causes stickiness on the skin, which may make things worse
Lastly, make sure you are replying the pre Wax oil regularly and tissuing off excess, to make sure the skin is properly prepared

As above, maybe look at technique and definitely work with oil. But also some clients are just not suited to intimate waxing. I have a client who has POS and she put herself through hell having Hollywoods for years. Her hair is so thick and deep rooted, the pain was just not worth it for her (particularly worse at certain times of the month) so now we just leave a strip at the front and leave the labia area. Also, (not sure if I can recommend brands?! Apologies if not) have a look at Relax n Wax 'No Scream Cream'. It works! :)

Everyone is different. I use PR and mostly do intimate. Some clients say it doesn't hurt at all (which I don't believe!) and I have probably 3 out of the hundreds that I do that find it really painful. I think it's just pain threshold. The worst clients are the 'leg closers' I think. Makes it really hard to get a good stretch of skin if you're trying to keep legs from shutting at the same time. Labia and the very middle top of pubic mound is the worst, just try doing smaller strips and keep skin tight.

Latest posts

Back