Help with paraffin wax/heaters for newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelleybobs

Reaction score
I know there have been a few previous similar posts so pls bear with me!
Am just in the process of setting up my mobile nails business, and would like to offer paraffin wax treatments.
Purchased my wax heater the other day - in the shop there were ones that looked a bit like a kettle (?) however I decided to go for the Hive midi therm heater purely becuase it was the one we used in our training. It is quite big, and I'm wondering whether it would be suitable for mobile, or whether the smaller ones would be better? Also, when I did my training, the trainer told us that it took about half an hour for the wax to melt, however the instructions say it takes a lot longer. I haven't tried it out myself yet in case I have to take it back!
Also, I purchased some paraffin wax, which when I got home I realised was a melt in the pot type - would this still be suitable or should I swap it for some blocks?
Sorry for the long ramble, any advice would be much appreciated!:)

I can't help with the heater because I haven't used the one you have. I have a babyliss one for waxing which I use for paraffin wax. I am mobile and I buy the wax that can be melted in the tub it comes in for two reasons.
1. I can screw the lid back on and it's less likely to spill when I'm travelling.
2. This won't apply to you if your not waxing as well but it's easy for me to use different waxes in my heater without having a load of different inner pots.

When I'm melting it I heat it up at my house at full temperature for 15 to 20 minutes and then when I get to my clients house I turn the heater on at the temperature I would normally work with paraffin wax at. I do this before I carry out consultation or begin mani

I'm also mobile and do exactly what Sarah said. When it's time to do the paraffin wax, I decant into a foil lined small bowl then brush onto the client so no dipping.

I also do what cherrybaby does too regarding the bowl sorry I forgot to say.

Wow that's really helpful - thank you! I never thought about the screwing the lid back on - good tip!
Will do a bit more research regarding the heaters. Recommendations welcome!
Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back