Help with patchy CND Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri Louise

Reaction score
I have used cnd shellac for a few years now and absolutely love it. Love the brand, love the range of colours, love the removal time. However one thing I have struggled with is some colours looking “patchy” with just two coats. I recently did a set in “candied” from the chick shock collection and really struggled to get a nice finish. I don’t want to use a third coat if possible, as I don’t want the nails to look too thick and risk the shellac peeling. I’ve read a few threads that suggest it may be my technique however I’ve practised and practised so this is a call out for help please! .... any tips and tricks to help overcome this would be hugely appreciated. Thank you

I find the pale colours always need 3 layers.
No need to worry about it.

I try to be light-handed especially with pale/sheer colours to prevent streaks x

Light colours you sometimes need to use a 'floating' motion with your polish brush to avoid streaks. Two thin coats and then float the third. Floating is where you have your brush almost completely flat, with less pressure.

I find this with a few colours lately, it’s really starting to annoy me and put me off shellac all together!

I’m finding this with Taffy too, thanks for the tips everyone xx

Thanks guys I’d seen on a previous thread about using a thin coat of a nude colour first... has anyone tried this with success? I guess it’s still 3 colour coats so may make more sense just to do 3 coats of the colour of choice xx

I have had this too even with ruby ritz
I am new to shellac, wondering how the new deluxe polishes are going to be but they don't launch in U.K. Till around august I don't think.
Anyway I can only assume I need to or a normal red coat under the ruby ritz but surely you shouldn't have to it's supposed to be an opaque colour which is why I chose it.

I use either Wildfire or Hollywood under Ruby ritz. Sets the glitter off nicely and saves on using so much ruby ritz as supply is limited sometimes

Latest posts

Back