Help with pricing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajay

Reaction score
Well I'm making progress to the point where I have a party booked - WOO! A great friend of mine who helped me turn my spare room into a treatment room in my last house now lives not too far away from again and has offered to host a party to get me started...

Only problem is - I worked out all my prices eons ago and miles away, now I don't know where to start :eek: everything down here is soooo expensive.

I'll be doing Mani/Pedi, Shellac/Rockstar, acrylic overlays/tips and Nouvatan spray tan so I have to figure these out pretty quickly. (I wont be doing any eye treatments as no one's had a skin test or waxing as everyone so far has expressed interest in tan...)

First port of call was Google :o to look at other people's prices but they're all salons in Barnstaple, I'm mobile from a little village in the middle of nowhere... Prices I found:

Full body spray tan £20, £30, £25, £45
Basic Manicure/Pedicure £18.50 £26.50 £25 £22
Luxury Manicure/Pedicure £33.50 £25.50 £35 £30
Shellac £25 £25
Rockstar £25
Acrylics £35.50 £35 £46 £50

See why I'm struggling? (though Shellac seems stable and I think CND recommends how much more this should be than your manicure/pedicure service so that might be ok...). While I'm confident in my application/treatment of everything (except acrylics - I've had very little practice since my training, the girls are helping me portfolio build with these) I shudder at the thought of charging some of these prices but similarly I don't want to be selling myself short in a market that can cope... Does this make sense?! Help??

What I did was work out what I wanted to charge for my "staple" treatment - Shellac - and then worked all my other prices up and down from there. I am pushing the Shellac mani so that's my main focus and my luxury treatments and standard treatments are priced outward from this one. I've no doubt there's a billion ways to do it but I wanted my price list to look carefully planned out.

The exception is acrylics I too am building a portfolio (practising!!!) and so charge 25% off as I can do a decent set but not a great set. I don't advertise acrylic though I just discuss it if it's asked for. Hopefully others will have advice xx

I see what you mean. Good idea :) thank you!

Yeah the portfolio could be a long time building as I've had so little practice but nevermind, I'll persevere! Good luck with it!

forget what everyone else is charging!!

you need to work out how much product cost is per treatment, then petrol cost,insurance and how much you want as an hourly rate as standard and divide by how long it takes you to do that treatment,

this is a business and should be treated as such, you are here to make money, if you dont price yourself properly you will be losing money and whilst you may love and enjoy what you do you still need to pay the bills!!!

I agree Souza. I may regret it but I really haven't spent much time looking at what competitors charge - I have worked out what I think the treatment is worth and what I can sell it for, what my time & products are worth and where the margin is. I am far more interested in the long term than short term and think it's easier to build a client base slowly than to get one quick, but have put up prices later. That's not experience talking but just my logic and what I've learned from here. Let's see if it works!!

good for you, its so hard to put your prices up but easy to offer discounts if your having a slow week!! and plus you want to earn what you know you are worth!quality is best and ppl realise it in the end!

Latest posts

Back