Help with qualifications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisco

Reaction score
Hello, I am a creative person and have always enjoyed all things beauty, and thinking about doing it as a career. I am more of a practical person who learn best visually, do they courses have much difference with exams, theory or practical ? I am trying to understand which is the best route to take to study in beauty therapy. I have seen beauty therapy and makeup level 2 / 3 diplomas, nvq's and ITEC and private beauty schools which cost a fortune but are they any better than a normal college ?I live in the east midlands. I will be a mature student so I am a bit worried about being the oldest person there. haha lol . Also how would you go about getting work experience whilst your studying ?

I’m at college doing l2, really enjoying it but the younger ones can be annoying when you are there to learn. It’s also disorganised etc but you get the time to practice and I really enjoy my groups.

If you’re looking to be employed most employers want NVQ 3 VTCT Beauty therapy. Most local colleges offer this and as a mature student you may be able to get finance to cover the course costs. You won’t need to get work experience while studying unless of course you wanted to.
The qualification will include written exams, learning anatomy and physiology and of course practicals.

Hello, I am a creative person and have always enjoyed all things beauty, and thinking about doing it as a career. I am more of a practical person who learn best visually, do they courses have much difference with exams, theory or practical ? I am trying to understand which is the best route to take to study in beauty therapy. I have seen beauty therapy and makeup level 2 / 3 diplomas, nvq's and ITEC and private beauty schools which cost a fortune but are they any better than a normal college ?I live in the east midlands. I will be a mature student so I am a bit worried about being the oldest person there. haha lol . Also how would you go about getting work experience whilst your studying ?

Hi! Bear in mind ITEC doesn’t give you UCAS points. I wasn’t planning on going to university, I was a mature student too.

But I finished my ITEC level 3 anatomy and physiology recently and now I’m obsessed with neurology and genetics; but ITEC isn’t worth anything to them. BTEC I’m sure it is and I think NVQ. Uni might not be on your mind now, but worth considering.

I did mine at a very well known college but I had so much trouble there that I wish I’d gone somewhere less known with nicer people and less expensive. Though it was worth it for the free 5 month spa pass and £99 spa holidays with food that are usually £300 odd a night.

They are all mostly hands on. I have level 2 NVQs (VTCT) and massage ITEC Level 3. The ITEC have loads of coursework and the final exams were a bit scarier than the NVQs. The NVQ had a portfolio to complete of treatments but the final exams were a breeze.

I trained with the beauty academy for my level 2 - they were alright but it really depends who you have as a trainer on your practical days and you need to practice a lot at home as you don’t go to college full time. It worked for me around my young child though.

I trained with Gateway Workshops for my ITEC. The teacher (London based) was honestly amazing. It was super intense work but I loved it and really enjoy massage. It’s also a part time course. The level 3 NVQ massage route is often the same price as the ITEC but also includes Indian head massage, aromatherapy etc so is better value. I’ve heard some people say the ITEC is better than the NVQ but really, if someone wants to hire you they will do it on your ability during interview and trade test rather than knowing you did the ITEC (I still recommend the gateway course though!).

Write up a CV and send it to local salons for voluntary work experience. Offer to clean and help reception etc and do Saturdays and evenings if you can just to get your foot in the door. If they like you they may hire you later.

I’ve also trained with independent trainers on extra qualifications including the eyelash emporium for lash extensions, Gelish for nails, Sienna X for tanning and Kim Lawless for waxing. These got me multiple interviews and job offers even though I had no salon experience so depending on your training budget, they could be something to look into. These training days were SUPER expensive but they are small classes with very good teachers who are working with good brands. Colleges often have big classes with ok teachers working with really (sorry) awful products.

I ended up working for myself. If you want to just work from home or mobile you don’t need NVQs or equivalent, you just need training in the areas you want to offer to get insurance. This could save a lot of money for you if that is an issue and you only want to work for yourself. Obviously NVQs/ITEC/VTCT etc are a great thing to have anyway and you’ll need them if you want to be employed by someone.

Thankyou for your comments everyone, it has given me insight.

I am studying level 2 they have changed to a technical certificate at my local college. Which is assessed differently one big pratical at the end. The theory part is now different no multiple choice an essay to write in the exam etc. I believe nvq are expecting all colleges to move to technical certificate. The change has been in response to industry requests.

I do either multiple choice or the assignment or kindly both as my teacher keeps putting me in for both :). We do 3 practical and one final per unit, I did one final on friday. Plus of course the Anatomy for each unit. Mine is NVQ.

Its all nvq its just they have changed from the vtct to a technical certificate which has a different assessment and exam system all at the end rather than ongoing assessment. We are assessed by our tutors throughout but only for us to know how we are doing. We have a big pratical assessment in one day. We are given a scenario and have to do multiple treatments on a client 5 hour assessment and one theory exam. No ongoing assessment, no log books, no course work.

Its all nvq its just they have changed from the vtct to a technical certificate which has a different assessment and exam system all at the end rather than ongoing assessment. We are assessed by our tutors throughout but only for us to know how we are doing. We have a big pratical assessment in one day. We are given a scenario and have to do multiple treatments on a client 5 hour assessment and one theory exam. No ongoing assessment, no log books, no course work.

Wow that's completely different to mine!

Sorry and we do a research project at the end.

Also the level 3 is changing over to the same system and will carry ucas points.

This sounds exactly like the CIBTAC method of assessment I did back in 1989...just goes to show, if you wait long enough, it all comes back round again....[emoji12]

Thats what my tutors have said, they are very happy that we are going old school lol

Latest posts

Back