Help with semi permanent lashes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry I've been jumping about threads on here and I am getting a bit confused...

I did a one day course for semi permanent eyelash extensions. I wasn't told to patch test but here I have read that really we should be patch testing the glue and the remover. is this the case?

Also, I am not sure which glue to use, I really want to find a good clear glue for SP and not just a black glue as I plan to offer multi coloured individual eyelashes as well. Is there a good clear glue I can use? I can only seem to find black glue.

I have read here also that you get primers and sealers? is that right? i've never heard of this either, can someone please tell me what this is and how it is used? I trained in Marvel Lash but wasn't advise don patch testing and we certainly didn't use primers or sealers or offer any kind of products for after care (only avoid rubbign eyes, swimming etc etc).

If someone could please help me here because I have just set up independently and I am starting to get concerned that I have missed something important in my training.

Many thanks in advance

Caroline

Hi all,

Sorry I've been jumping about threads on here and I am getting a bit confused...

I did a one day course for semi permanent eyelash extensions. I wasn't told to patch test but here I have read that really we should be patch testing the glue and the remover. is this the case?

Also, I am not sure which glue to use, I really want to find a good clear glue for SP and not just a black glue as I plan to offer multi coloured individual eyelashes as well. Is there a good clear glue I can use? I can only seem to find black glue.

I have read here also that you get primers and sealers? is that right? i've never heard of this either, can someone please tell me what this is and how it is used? I trained in Marvel Lash but wasn't advise don patch testing and we certainly didn't use primers or sealers or offer any kind of products for after care (only avoid rubbign eyes, swimming etc etc).

If someone could please help me here because I have just set up independently and I am starting to get concerned that I have missed something important in my training.

Many thanks in advance

Caroline

In answer to the last statement, yes you have missed lots of MAJOR important things in your trai ing, or rather I should say, it appears you haven't been taught them, yet another classic for inadequate training :0( sorry, this is the reason I went into training lashes, purely because of the amount of inadequate training there is in this treatment. Anyway, never fear SG is here :0)

Patch testing is a well debated subject. Personally, I patch test and teach to patch test, I apply 1 lash to either eye, this will give "some" indication of whether the client is allergic, at this time, you can also swipe the primer and sealer along the lash to test for that as well, 24/48 hours prior to application.

You can use this 10 min appoint to get the client to fill out a consultation form, find out what they would like to achieve from their lash look and give them a chat on aftercare.

Clear glue - I don't use clear glue, even when using coloured lashes so can't help you with that, all I would say is your glue is INTEGRAL to the success of your lashes lasting, and good application of course. I use lash revolution pro + from beauty revolution but Flirties from wow is also good and there are lots others, you can do a search x

Primers are extremely important to the longevity of your lashes, you can buy small round pads or liquid and you can purchase these from most lash companies. If you are using the liquid, put a small amount on a micro brush and clean the lashes with that or using the pads Use it like a mke up wipe.

Sealers can also be purchased from numerous places, I personally don't use these also I have in the past.

Aftercare is soo important. If you go into lashbase they have forms and leaflets that you can download with all the info on them, its too much for me to list, this early in the morning lol

Hope that helps, and to everyone looking for training, please please please research this, make sure you get the best training, cheap isn't always and very rarely is best (not saying the op went for cheap :0))

A hot line to your trainer, support AFTER the course, introductions to other trainees after your course, 1 day with case studies or 2 days with an assessment, will give you a much more solid foundation to start your new career with.

Best of luck xxxx

I agree with Blinkingorgeous as it seems that the most important part of the training hasnt been covered for you.

The primer is essential to remove anything from the lashes that could be creating a barrier so if you want a good and longlasting bond then the primer is essential and should be part of your kit.
the sealant can be equally important to protect the lashes and give them the longevity your clients are looking for.

Regarding the patch test the way Blinkingorgeous has described is one way, alternatively you can simply apply all the products (primer/adhesive/debonder/sealant) to a few natural lashes each to see if this causes a reaction for the client.

Maybe try and get in touch with your trainer to go through your queries and see if you can get some support as that should be part of the training.

Thanks for your replies. I'm actually annoyed that the training hasn't covered the things I should know. This was a one day course that I did at my college I qualified at. i trained for two years for my HND and paid for the day course thinking that as it was my usual 2nd year tutor it would be ok and now although I have a certificate it doesn't seem worth the paper its printed on!

Lord knows I don't want to have to pay to re-train but I really feel something is missing now! it was the same with Shellac, paid for a day course at a private institution only to find out that the only place that offered official training was Fingertips in Edinburgh and a lot of information was not covered in the course I did. Shows what happens when you assume you can trust your college tutors!

Should I retrain with another company do you think? It just seems like so much money to do the same thing twice to ensure I've covered everything I'm supposed to when it should have been covered in the first place :(

FRUSTRATED!!!

Sorry
x

Hi there

I would suggest that if you are not confident with your existing training you either:

• contact your existing training provider and ask for clarification or
  • retrain with another training provider.

Most training providers offer a reduced training fee for conversion courses but I do understand that having to pay for the same course twice is annoying.

Getting the fundamentals is super important for accuracy and technique and also lays a great foundation to enhance your skills to advanced level.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

HTH

Francesca

As everyone above explained - the basics have not been taught for you. I always suggest that when looking for a course, make sure you find out more about educator - what subjects do they teach, who have they trained with, how many years experience they have, see examples of their work. Always find out more about college - have they won any awards, look for reviews about them online and here in salongeek, what is their focus on - quality or quantity (this often can be seen by the duration of the course). I have not done so many courses yet - simply because I have not found school or educator to satisfy my high expectations and I always encourage each student to have those when looking for a course. The course I took for lashes had a duration of 4 weeks with a lessons once a week - after which I was given a clear objective of what to do by next lesson and we covered more techniques each lessons and discussed issues as well as worked on improving speed and skills. I agree with Francesca in regards to your next steps. Best of luck :hug:

did you train with marvel lash as they told me i dont need to patch test with their new glue.......worryingly..

I am extremely curious to know who accredited the marvel Lash training.

Does anyone know?

I am extremely curious to know who accredited the marvel Lash training.

Does anyone know?

what do you mean who accredited it? i trained with next step beauty? do you mean babtac etc? if so i cant remember, but i am emailing them now to find out why they told me not to patch test!

did you train with marvel lash as they told me i dont need to patch test with their new glue.......worryingly..

It was Marvel Lash kits we used...it doesn't say anywhere in the kit to patch test.

Thinking on it now I find it odd we didn't all patch test, we were told it wasn't necessary as the glue was hypoallergenic but one girl patch tested herself anyway as she said she was allergic to everything and she DID have a reaction but it was officially stated in our training or in our training notes.

I think I'll get in touch with the insurance company and check all this stuff out so i know where they stand on it but I'll still patch test in future.

I am also trying out the Flirties glue with a friend as i am thinking of re-training with them. Seems they have a lot of positive feedback on here.

Thanks for all of your replies. It has really helped.

what do you mean who accredited it? i trained with next step beauty? do you mean babtac etc? if so i cant remember, but i am emailing them now to find out why they told me not to patch test!

Well, when a company or individual decides to offer training, they have to apply to have their course accredited to ensure it meets correct standards. Without accreditation no insurance company will offer cover on the treatments

I am really curious to know which professional body has approved the Marvel Lash course which does not seem to meet the most basic requirements and does not recommend patch testing.

It really worries me that unsuspecting therapists can pay hard earned money for training which seems to not only fail to reach the most basic of standards, but could, potentially put clients at risk.

Did you get a response from your email at all? Just curious.

Incidentally I tried out the Flirties clear lash adhesive on a friend (patch tested the day before!) and I've got to say compared to teh other glues I tried it looks fabulous. Not gloopy or anything and the lady that I was emailing was so helpful. Probably once the baby is born I will get in touch and find out more about their training course...I looked into other lash conversion courses but after trying the product I wasn't overly impressed....

But ho hum. I digress :)

Incidentally I tried out the Flirties clear lash adhesive on a friend (patch tested the day before!) and I've got to say compared to teh other glues I tried it looks fabulous. Not gloopy or anything and the lady that I was emailing was so helpful. Probably once the baby is born I will get in touch and find out more about their training course...I looked into other lash conversion courses but after trying the product I wasn't overly impressed....

Yeah this was my reply....

Thank you for your email, it would of been myself you trained with, i hope you are getting on ok. Marvel lash state that you do not need to patch test their glue as they state because it does not come into contact with the skin then there is no need at all to patch test, however some other brands do request you do a patch test such as AH Francis it seems at the moment it is down to each individual company to state whether or not you are required to do a patch test. Due to the standards always changing i would advise you to test a few lashes as you stated on every new client leave for 24 hrs and then proceed if there is no reaction. Make sure you record this down on the client record cards.

So.....from now on i have to have people drop by and try a few lashes in each eye?? who else does this as a test??
I will ask my insurance what they say as well.

I think that yes whilst glue in theory doesn't come in contact with the skin so to a degree there is in theory at least no need to undertake a patch test however there is always a good chance that inadvertently some glue could well come into contact so it follows in terms of risk assessment that it is always advisable to undertake a patch test at least 24 hrs before application
We are dealing with humans and there possible reactions to things that may or will come into contact with the skin.
If you are using a grinder say...whilst in theory it is unlikely that a spark will hit you in the eye..there is never the less a chance one may so from a risk prevention p[respective you would wear goggles

Risk assessment and prevention is vital in ensuring your customers well being is considered at all times...it takes but just one adverse reaction to possibly cause problems to your client,your business and the reputation of the industry as a whole.

So better safe than sorry is always a good thought process

As one of the founders of the Flirties brand I am pleased you are pleased with the product you have trialled and also pleased you undertook a patch test which when changing product is also essential to carry out.

It might be worth your while in also trying out our new NVY glues which offer both good value for money as well as great adhesive qualities without to much odour release problems

HTH and good luck

Thanks for the positive feedback and glad you like it!

I think this thread just highlights again one of the problems we have in the industrie with the fact that there is now so many new companies appearing that offer training and the therapists coming into the industrie get conned into booking a course without knowing about accreditation etc. Training is really the key if you want to provide a good and safe service to your clients and its worth checking the accreditation of the company you intend to train with before you book the course.

You want to make sure that the certificate will be accepted by the insurance and when it comes to treatments especially around the eye area you want to make sure the products are medically certified and not products that are imported from the other side of the world and dont comply with European legislation, so its worth doing your home work first and then you can enjoy the course with confidence as you know you and your clients are going to be safe!

Latest posts

Back