Help with ski jumpers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda

Reaction score
I have a client with SEVERE ski jump nails! We have been together for a year now. It seems as though when we do a new set on her she is good for about two rebases and then they just start popping off left and right.

I have been told that this is just something that you have to deal with when working with a ski jumper, however, I think there should be more I can do.

When I am doing a full set on her, I am using Formation tips and have her natural nail as short as possible. I then am filling in the ski jump area with acrylic to make it look like a nail should look, LOL. Now as that nail grows out and up, I am wondering if I am not getting the stress area thick enough again.

Any suggestions?

1. File the free edge down as much as possible
  2. Take most of the contact area of the tip away
  3. Prep nail
  4. Apply gelbond
  5. Apply tip to desired angle (contact area wont be flush to the nail).
  6. Blend and apply as normal.
    [/list:o]

Hope this helps :)

Now that I know the proper way to take down the tip well, (thanks, Geek) do you think that that will solve my problem down the road? They always look great at first but about the second rebase from the start is when I start having problems. I think I am missing something between point A (full set) and point B (second rebase four weeks later)

Whatcha think?

Hi Rhonda,

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you as promised.

The problem with severe ski-jump nails is that there is a complete lack of balance.

The problems you are having at the 2nd or 3rd rebalance is that the balance you restored when you applied the full set is out of whack again when they start to get any length on them.
You are doing everything right in your application. It's just that the natural nails cannot grow out successfully.

This client is going to have to take it on the chin - as you say she has been doing - and live with the fact that she is going to need full sets more often than anyone else because she has severe problem nails.

The ski-jump nail grows upwards ... any stress or pressure placed on that nail, pushes the free edge back ... the exact opposite of what happens with a well balanced normal nail. The enhancements will pop or loosen as they get longer.

I wish there was more we could do for these clients, but really there isn't ,because the nails are malformed. You need to replace sets more often and a client with a severe condition needs to know this up front. Slight ski-jump nails can wear enhancements quite successfully for long periods but these severe ones can not.

I myself have a severely deformed thumb nail as a result of an accident when I was a child. The nail plate is very thick in some areas and thin in others --- imbalance --- I have to replace the enhancement on that thumb every 6 weeks max with liquid and powder ... every 10 weeks with a wrap. I just have to live with it.

Most problem nail clients are more than willing to have full sets more often to keep the lovely normal natural look that your makeover gives them.

I can rest easily now! My client is just really happy to have nails that look nice, so she is totally cool with having a new set every 4-6 weeks. I have been told that it is something they have to live by a couple of people. I have now heard it from the CND Queen! LOL! I have to lighten up on myself and stop thinking eveything is my fault and can be prevented.

Geeg, you rock!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back