Help with split nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchie13

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a new client that came to me last week with a split nail that has now run the length of the nail. She had previously been having a false nail put onto this but it was not staying on and because the skin is sometimes open she was also running the risk of an infection. I am not 100% sure as to what is the best course of action for her so thought who better to ask that you all. All advice welcome. The small piece that is hanging in the picture has since come off over the weekend, but the skin is very red underneath.

Attachments

• Broken nail.jpg
    Broken nail.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
I'd remove as much free edge as possible, smooth off any catchy edges and recommend plenty of solar oil for at least a week and review. Yes an overlay can assist with growing our this kind of split, but the foundation needs to be as stable as possible and that's too damaged at the moment.

When you do cime to overlay, no free edge, keep it as short as possible. No quick fix, its going to take time and patience on both sides

I'd remove as much free edge as possible, smooth off any catchy edges and recommend plenty of solar oil for at least a week and review. Yes an overlay can assist with growing our this kind of split, but the foundation needs to be as stable as possible and that's too damaged at the moment.

When you do cime to overlay, no free edge, keep it as short as possible. No quick fix, its going to take time and patience on both sides
Thank you Trinity. I have given her Healthy Hoof to apply twice per day for 10 days to reduce the dryness and then we are going to review what we can do.

Thank you Trinity. I have given her Healthy Hoof to apply twice per day for 10 days to reduce the dryness and then we are going to review what we can do.

Perfect, good plan :)

Latest posts

Back