Help With Spray Tan Machine Please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I recently trained with tantrick and was issued with a "nuress" hvlp machine. Does anyone use this machine and could help me?
I can't seem to get an even spray from the gun. It is very tempremental. When I test it on kitchen roll it seems to spray and then go dry every second or so. Obviously this will result in a patchy tan so really need to sort this out. If I turn the dial up it seems awful wet but it is only then that it seems to spray evenly. SHOULD I SPRAY WET BUT FURTHER AWAY WITH MORE SPEED?
I have only just got this machine and can't really afford to up-grade just yet. I am hoping that this is the type of problem all trainee tanners face and that it is just down to my technique. I have cleaned the gun thoroughly as per instructions but no change.
Hopefully someone can advise as I don't want to lose my confidence before I even start!
Incidently I did take the machine back to my trainer and it seemed to work fine when I was there but when I used it later the same thing keeps happening, i.e. ok one minute then sprays dry for a few seconds.
There is always enough solution in tub and the gun is kept at the same angle at all times.:confused:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon x

Hi Sharon,

I don't have the same machine as you, I have the T100 but I also has a problem with my gun. It sprayed for about 3/4 seconds and then stopped for a split second and then again for 3/4 seconds and so on. I kept having to go over my clients to make sure I didn't miss anywhere. I rang my supplier who agreed it shouldn't be like that and have since got a replacement gun.
I suggest you do the same as well. If you pull back and spray wetter you're just wasting your solution and causing more over spray.
Fill your container with warm water and spray it continuously and watch the spray coming out. If it stops at all there is a definite fault.
HTH

Thanks for that.
I have filled the container with water and it did seem ok. But I will do it again to check.
I am now wondering if my tantrick solution is not suitable for the nuress gun.
I will also try using the nuress tan solution on some kitchen roll to see if that is ok.
The thing is, my friend did the course with me and we both have the same problem with our guns. So it's either a faulty batch or something we are doing wrong:confused:!

Just to up-date.

When I tried the solution that came with the "nuress" machine it seemed to spray perfectly. A few weeks on I am still persevering with the tantrick solution, which sprays dry with the nuress machine every now and again.

Do you think I should just "bite the bullet" and buy another machine? I can't help feeling a bit disappointed with the machine I was issued with (nuress)
as I paid £100 for it!

What I really want to know is if everyone had these sort of problems when they started out. i.e. just technique.

I still find legs a nightmare to cover properly. I always seem to miss a bit or then again it may be the "nuress" machine going dry at this point!!!:mad:

Any pointers would be much appreciated as my confidence is hitting an all time low and would like to be tanning for Xmas.

Help, please xxx

sounds to me like the nozzle is blocked , you might need to take your needle out and clean it , if you dont clean your gun properly you will find your gun wont spray right and your needle will be all cakky , hth xxx

Have you called nuress about this?

I have had endless problems recently with my T100 gun, I ended up having to take it apart as the machine wouldn't spray liquid at all.

When this happens according to spray tan cubicle co. it means that there is dried up liquid in the machine - usually down to the DHA in the solution, which hasn't been broken down when you've run water through.

I was told how to take the front of the gun apart, which involved a pair of pliers and soaking part of the nozzle.

I'd try ringing their helpline. If it's a new machine it may have another blockage that we haven't explained here.

But it sounds temperemental like my machine & my problem has been blockage of tan in the nozzle area.

Hth's xx

Sorry to hear you're still having probs with the machine. I'm using up Fake Bake in mine and it seems to be OK. Mine was a bit juddery :irked:at one point too, but seems to be OK so long as I don't hold the trigger for too long at a time - it seems to be better in shorter bursts than a long protracted steam i.e. shoulder to waist, let go of trigger.
If you're still not happy, I'd go to Nuress direct and see if they can come up with a solution.
HTH

I could be very wrong here, but isn't the Nuress machine simply a fence sprayer with an adapted needle?

I have a TC3 machine ( I think it's quite outdated now but still fab and serves me fine) which was designed and built for spray tanning and I can spray any solution through it, although some solutions stick to the needle....so cleaning it is essential.

Hi Sharon

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Nuress unit. It is typical that when you go back to show someone at the training centre what is happening the machine behaves itself - bit like taking kids to the doctors!

I am really keen to help you get this sorted and would appreciate you trying the following tips as I also use this Nuress machine myself (it is my personal take away machine which fits neatly in my suitcase!). I have experienced similar symptoms which through adjusting the gun and my spraying techniques have managed to get it spraying really well considering it is a unit designed for home use and students and for those who just want to try spray tanning without the investment straight away in a professional machine.

There are a few things which you will need to do to ensure you are going to have an even coverage:
  • make sure you have enough solution in the cup so the plastic pick up tube does not pick up air
  • try to keep the gun in an upright position at all times - if you tilt it, the tube can pick up air and this means there will be times when it is only air spraying out and not solution, this is very common when you spray the leg area as you can be inclined to bend your wrist down when spraying the lower legs
  • squeeze the trigger as you start spraying down the body - say from the shoulder to the knicker line, release the trigger and then squeeze again to apply the next line of spray - don't hold the trigger continually, short bursts are always better than long ones
  • make sure the flow control screw is adjusted so there is enough solution coming out at any time sometimes this means there is more solution coming out but by work quicker you will get a finer spray on the body
  • wash the cup with water at the end of each spraying day, giving the flow control screw a good turn to open it out and flush water through to clean the needle - remember to turn the screw back to the closed position or reset it before you spray with tanning solution next time!
  • try practicing your spraying on a roll of lining paper which you can place the roll on the floor and hang the free end over a door, it is great for practicing your spraying techniques
If you do continue to have problems then of course you can contact your trainer, us or Nuress for help. We want you to feel confident and happy with your spraying and will certainly do our best to help you to get there.

Let me know how you get on.

Mandy

Thank you all very much for your helpful advice.

I will try all the things suggested. I think I will however need to purchase a better machine that will give me the confidence I need to continue. I have my eye on one that sienna X do, the spray me gorgeous bronzer, unit at £145. It looks like it would be able to cope with tanning parties etc. Maybe somone could let me know their experience of this model?

I could keep the nuress as a back up.

Thanks again I really appreciate all your replies. x

p.s. I think you could be right Mandy about tilting the gun when doing legs, it is something I will definately be paying attention to.

hi i have used on of these for about 2 years and no probs but i do strip down every time iv done with it and leve in soke in soapy water
hope this helps

hi i have used on of these for about 2 years and no probs but i do strip down every time iv done with it and leve in soke in soapy water
hope this helps

This thread is nearly a year and a half old :eek: and Sharon has since upgraded to a T200 machine which I believe she is happy with.

By the way make sure you thoroughly rinse your gun after soaking in soapy water to remove any soap build up which could cause output problems and possible increase to PH levels of solution which could lead to problomatic tan outcomes in extreme cases :hug:
HTH

Hi Sharon,

I don't have the same machine as you, I have the T100 but I also has a problem with my gun. It sprayed for about 3/4 seconds and then stopped for a split second and then again for 3/4 seconds and so on. I kept having to go over my clients to make sure I didn't miss anywhere. I rang my supplier who agreed it shouldn't be like that and have since got a replacement gun.
I suggest you do the same as well. If you pull back and spray wetter you're just wasting your solution and causing more over spray.
Fill your container with warm water and spray it continuously and watch the spray coming out. If it stops at all there is a definite fault.
HTH

I am having the exact problem with my T200!! I have a spray tan booked for tonight would you suggest I cancel???

I am having the exact problem with my T200!! I have a spray tan booked for tonight would you suggest I cancel???

Hi Steph,
before you go canceling anything have you tried spraying the components with WD40 which does help lubricate things.
HTH :hug:

Once i get through my 'put the world to rights' stage being very new here, (am sure every new member goes through this stage) i reckon i will be able to contribute and help with some of the issues you guys seem to experience. It's not that difficult all this tanning and equipment lark, but some of the equipment you are asked to work with is simply rubbish, but you buy because it's cheap. In saying that, there's some really cheap equipment out there being sold for a lot of money. Not easy is it?

Well a warm welcome to Salon geek :hug:

Hi Chris and welcome to the site, nice to have someone who knows their stuff on board! :wink2:

Hi Chris welcome to the site really interesting reading in your post.

I experienced a problem which was a result of my over cleaning as i was removing the straw after every tan to rinse it through and caused it to wear very quickly (the end of the straw that fitted into the gun was slightly worn - you wouldn't think it would make a difference but it did) reducing the suction from the cup which produced spurts of spray instead of an even flow I was asked to return it by Sienna and they sent me a new one out with an explanation and strict instructions to clean it at the end of the day I have since not had any problems. Just in case any body else runs into something like this.

Latest posts

Back