Help with starting eyebrow PMU part time business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fayela

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am looking at training in microblading/eyebrow PMU.
As this would be a complete career change with no previous relevant experience I would like to start doing this part time alongside my current job to start with (until I can build a client base etc).
Does anyone have an idea first if it would be realistic to be able to rent a room maybe in a salon for just 1 or 2 days per week to start? Also, what kind of prices should I expect for this? I am sure it can vary massively depending on type of salon and location etc but some kind of an idea would be really useful.
I'm in the Wirral, Merseyside.
Thank you

Hi, I still work full-time, the hairdresser I rent from charges £25 for a full day and £12.50 for half day based on an 8 hour day if that helps. I live in Barnsley South Yorkshire it is only a small hairdresser's. Good luck

Hi. You may be able to find a local tattoo shop or PMU shop that you could do commission at, and then you don't have to worry about booth rent. But know that the atmosphere/culture of that shop can determine how you get your clients. They own the shop license and may extend insurance to you (maybe) and you'll just need your artist license.

You could rent an office yourself. I only suggest that if you've got a waiting list of people. You need to make rent for that year if you don't already have a loan, or savings.
budget planner templates

Last edited:
Hi. You may be able to find a local tattoo shop or PMU shop that you could do commission at, and then you don't have to worry about booth rent. But know that the atmosphere/culture of that shop can determine how you get your clients. They own the shop license and may extend insurance to you (maybe) and you'll just need your artist license.

Yes, commission is another option to consider alongside a set room rent charge.

Also, just to point out that the OP’s in the U.K. so must purchase her own public liability insurance if she’s self employed and the licensing rules will depend on her local authority.

Hi, I still work full-time, the hairdresser I rent from charges £25 for a full day and £12.50 for half day based on an 8 hour day if that helps. I live in Barnsley South Yorkshire it is only a small hairdresser's. Good luck

Wow, thats very good deal indeed! I’d have thought at least double that would be more the average room rent.

Latest posts

Back