Help with very elderly manicure client, “sensitive issue”

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Katie

Reaction score
**Apologies if this post is a little graphic** We have a very elderly client who has come to the salon for a couple of years for a Shellac Manicure. She is nearing 90. She has a weak bladder and often has to dash to the toilet mid mani. No problem - we just complete 1 full hand at a time to enable her to go in between. No issues and this has worked well for a couple years.

Unfortunately over the past few months we soon realised she is having trouble with ‘the other one’ and having to dash to the loo not just for a pee. This was not an issue at first apart from the toilet needing a good clean (sorry!) but the past couple of times we began to notice an odour, and at the end of her latest appointment she unfortunately returned from the toilet not fully cleaned up. The bathroom was also in a mess. She is obviously struggling to take care of this herself and it’s ongoing. This makes us incredibly upset for her but for obvious hygiene reasons we are unable to continue treatments.

Has anyone had to deal with anything like this or broach this subject with an elderly client before? She has future appointments booked and we are going to have to contact her regarding the hygiene issue. We know that she has no family and I don’t think anyone to help her. Had there been a family member to get in touch with we would have explained the situation and tried to have someone accompany her to help and save her some dignity.

She is a very determined & stubborn lady, adamant she can still be independent despite her age. Still drives herself about, goes to get her hair done and comes to us for her nails. The last thing we would want to do would to to upset or embarrass her, but we are not carers and when it comes to hygiene there is no compromise.

It’s so unfortunate that she has no one that could accompany her. If anyone has any advice on dealing with such a delicate situation I would be very grateful.

Hmm this is a rather delicate situation. If she is stubborn and determined she may not take it too well when the subject is broached. But I would take a positive stance on this when starting the conversation, by saying to her that you know how fiercely independent she is and that you want to help her stay that way, but you need a little help from her in making sure she has rigorously washed her hands after using the toilet. You could suggest she bring a little nail brush? just to be thorough, as you don’t want to have to stop her treatments, because of something that is easily resolved. Be positive, don’t waffle! I would also suggest you may want to do it face to face, because if it’s done over the phone, it may be embarrassing for her on her next visit. Whereas If she’s already in the salon you can have a quiet private word and do it before her treatment. As I say just make it a positive thing about her keeping her independence, she may thankyou for being so honest! Good luck, let your geek family know how you get on! [emoji173]️

Another thought ...what about having some moist toilets wipes in the toilet too!?

Yes, that's a difficult and sensitive issue to work around.
Usually you would talk to a family member but you say she has no-one.
Do you know if she has any home assistance or carers from social services?
If she is already one of their clients you could contact them to express your concern and they could probably arrange a GP consultation for her to check there is nothing else causing the incontinence.
There are medicines that elderly people can take to make their bowels less loose, making daily living more controllable.

Wet wipes, tena lady pants, talc, disposable towels, air freshener could all be put in your salon loo to help.

If social services aren't involved yet and there is no family to contact then I think it would be totally ok to contact her GP and leave a message him/her.

How about offering a home visit.........;)

Thanks for your replies. Yes, a very delicate issue indeed. Part of the problem is how to actually contact her regarding this. I would rather do it face to face, but waiting till her next appointment might be be too late if the suituation is the same or worse and we are maybe unable to do treatment. She is also very loud and has almost no filter so doing this, even quietly in private with be uncomfortable for everyone in salon. But will have to be done : ( She has no issue announcing to the whole salon that she is close to having an accident. Calling could be a problem as she is quite deaf. And turning up at her home inappropriate.

Another issue is actually carrying out a shellac manicure as we used to be able to fully complete painting one hand at a time, enabling her to nip to the loo halfway, but recently it’s before a hand is finished so impacting finished mani as she comes back with fluff and allsorts stuck on. The last time she had to be taken back through to scrub her hands again because there was faeces on one. It’s just awful and we feel terrible for her but becoming very uncomfortable doing her nails even with gloves, and one of us has to be free to dash to the bathroom after She comes out to clear up and wipe any areas down before anyone else goes in. Then subtly clean the lamps, check chair etc without alarming other clients at the end. It’s such a shame but becoming difficult and also a health hazard. Obviously we would prefer to keep doing her nails! It’s good for her to get out and she enjoys having shellac on, but struggling to see how to continue.
Wet wipes etc in the bathroom may help a little so thank you for that. But it is quite a mess that’s left : (

I contacted social services because so concerned about her living situ. Apparently nothing can be done without the person in questions permission. Legally for them to contact or visit, she would need to be aware I was calling and give permission. I thought there MUST be some other way around and spoke to a GP I know, but no, if they are of sound mind then nothing can be done unless they want/ask for help. Only way would be to prompt her to seek it.

As for home visit, would need to look into insurance for this etc as not something we offer.

Many thanks again for advice.

Wow that is a really tough situation. I don't envy you. It's sad for her but quite revolting for you and your staff too.

I think it is going to have to a be a bite the bullet and speak to her face to face situation. Perhaps you could mention that you fully appreciate her toilet issues are not her fault but has she spoken to someone (a doctor) about it? Explain that your staff cannot do the treatment if her hands aren't completely clean afterwards and that it is impacting her manicure itself. Ask her if there is anything you can do or provide to make life easier for her.

It won't be a pleasant conversation but best outcome is that she realises that she needs to clean up better and worst case would be that you lose her as a client but you also lose the inconvenience. Bless her.

Let us know how it goes x

Since one of the issues is that you don't have enough time to do even one hand before she has to dash off... you could focus on this as the reason for you not being able to carry out her Shellac in the salon. Suggest she contact a no old tech if it us not something you can offer. Suggest she seeks medical help and tell her that if she can get help with her problem you will happily take her back as a client. Be firm but kind. You have to put your staff and your business first x

that should say mobile tech x

Thanks for your replies. Yes, a very delicate issue indeed. Part of the problem is how to actually contact her regarding this. I would rather do it face to face, but waiting till her next appointment might be be too late if the suituation is the same or worse and we are maybe unable to do treatment. She is also very loud and has almost no filter so doing this, even quietly in private with be uncomfortable for everyone in salon. But will have to be done : ( She has no issue announcing to the whole salon that she is close to having an accident. Calling could be a problem as she is quite deaf. And turning up at her home inappropriate.

Another issue is actually carrying out a shellac manicure as we used to be able to fully complete painting one hand at a time, enabling her to nip to the loo halfway, but recently it’s before a hand is finished so impacting finished mani as she comes back with fluff and allsorts stuck on. The last time she had to be taken back through to scrub her hands again because there was faeces on one. It’s just awful and we feel terrible for her but becoming very uncomfortable doing her nails even with gloves, and one of us has to be free to dash to the bathroom after She comes out to clear up and wipe any areas down before anyone else goes in. Then subtly clean the lamps, check chair etc without alarming other clients at the end. It’s such a shame but becoming difficult and also a health hazard. Obviously we would prefer to keep doing her nails! It’s good for her to get out and she enjoys having shellac on, but struggling to see how to continue.
Wet wipes etc in the bathroom may help a little so thank you for that. But it is quite a mess that’s left : (

I contacted social services because so concerned about her living situ. Apparently nothing can be done without the person in questions permission. Legally for them to contact or visit, she would need to be aware I was calling and give permission. I thought there MUST be some other way around and spoke to a GP I know, but no, if they are of sound mind then nothing can be done unless they want/ask for help. Only way would be to prompt her to seek it.

As for home visit, would need to look into insurance for this etc as not something we offer.

Many thanks again for advice.
I feel for both parties in this situation.
However you are running a professional business and this is a massive issue.
You could potentionally lose other clients as well.
At the risk of sounding like a complete heartless cow, enough is enough and you should not have to put up with this.
I think you are going to have to be blunt with this lady. Say unfortunately you can no longer book her in and tell her why. Like miss Jules said suggest mobile to her and maybe find some in your area and have them written down for her. Hell even offer to call one for her to make the first appointment.
I wish you luck.

Since one of the issues is that you don't have enough time to do even one hand before she has to dash off... you could focus on this as the reason for you not being able to carry out her Shellac in the salon. fx

I was thinking this as well, although I'd be worried that she would try and hold on instead and have an accident in the chair. But I'm an over thinker.

I have toilet problems because of my disability. Equip the salon toilet with bleach and sprays and wipes. People generally hate leaving a mess as much as others hate discovering it.

Can you offer vinylux to her instead so it’ll take less time?
I know it’s a horrible situation but I don’t think I could bring myself to say anything to her as I’d probably be thinking ‘well she won’t be here much longer.....’ I am a self confessed wimp though!

IMO for this particular case, I would probably refer this case to her GP who would then liaise with an Occupational Therapist, who could assess her and recommend the client on the best approach on how she can have treatments.

I’ve worked in the nhs for 14 years, I doubt this lady even realises she’s not clean when she comes out. It’s a stab in the dark as I’m not in your salon, but from my experience quite often elderly patients are not aware that maybe they have faeces on their hand or shoe for instance. Their senses are not so in tune, sense of smell and eyesight would have deteriorated quite considerably by 90 years old bless her. If it was me, I would probably say that the constant trips to the toilet were making your service impossible. A gp referal would be advisable to make sure she’s ok and in the meantime could you organise a mobile tech to visit her at home?

Latest posts

Back