Help with waxing longer hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spakitten

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am fairly new to esthetics and need some tips at waxing longer hair. I've never had any problems waxing longer hair on the legs, but I did a bikini this morning and just could not get the hair out for the life of me! First I figured that there might not be enough baby powder, so I applied more to the other side, pulled the skin really tight, and STILL the same problem. I finally came to the conclusion that the hair must have been too long (almost an inch), so I cut the ends off with scissors then tried again. Voila! success.

Do you guys have any tips for waxing longer hair, especially in the bikini area? I never want to go through another ordeal like this mornings again, it was terrible! both for myself, and the client.

Thanks guys!

I always cleanse the area first and then just trim any long hairs and dust the bits away with baby powder and then apply the wax. I think an ideal length is at least a quarter of an inch plus, but any hairs that are longer than say half an inch to an inch I would trim down a little otherwise its painful for client/they don't come out and you could get in a sticky mess. Its only really bikini or armpits I find need trimming. Can't remember ever having to ever trim leg hair. (I suppose with men you'd need to trim everywhere!).
Luv Mrs. Bean! xxxxxx:green::)

You have answered your own question hunny,
if its too damn long...... trim it :hug:

Get yourself some clippers so that you trim the hair quickly to about 1/4". Trying to wax bikini hair that is too long will cause a lot of pain and possibly bruising.xxx

Get yourself some clippers so that you trim the hair quickly to about 1/4". Trying to wax bikini hair that is too long will cause a lot of pain and possibly bruising.xxx

Hi Brow Queen (love your name by the way).
Can you recommend any particular type of clippers?
Luv Mrs Bean xxxxxxxx:green::)

You want good hairdressing clippers like wahl.

You want good hairdressing clippers like wahl.

I'd second that - professional hairdressing clippers usually have 'snap-on' metal blades that are easy to remove and properly disinfect, plus they tend to have more powerful motors that do a better job of slicing through the hair compared to the cheaper personal trimmers you can buy from places like Boots. Cordless clippers are more convenient than wired ones, but they also tend to be more expensive.

I do a lot of men's waxing so use a pair of cordless Wahl Bellissima clippers for larger areas like backs, chests and legs, and a smaller pair of Bella trimmers for more 'petite' intimate areas :D

Hi Brow Queen (love your name by the way).
Can you recommend any particular type of clippers?
Luv Mrs Bean xxxxxxxx:green::)
Don't bother with those little ladies bikini ones. Just get yourself a decent pair of clippers with different size comb attachments. I just bought a fab one from John Lewis for £20. They have all diferent ones. It's mains operated, cordless and very powerful. xxx

Hi all!

I finally came to the conclusion that the hair must have been too long (almost an inch), so I cut the ends off with scissors then tried again. Voila! success.

Thanks guys!

there you go spakitten

trimming long hairs is exactly what you need to do

LOL............Just re-reading this thread and thinking 'I didn't notice Andy's reply when I posted' , then I just saw that we answered at exactly the same time. Great waxy minds think alike. xxxx

LOL............Just re-reading this thread and thinking 'I didn't notice Andy's reply when I posted' , then I just saw that we answered at exactly the same time. Great waxy minds think alike. xxxx

Must be all that PR wax floating around getting in your eyes!

Yowsa, that's gonna hurt hunni. You really do need to trim to about 1/4" before attempting a bikini wax, that is unless you really don't like your client - lol!

Hi, I always sanitise and cut the long hairs on a bikini wax then a light dusting of powder as too much powder and the wax will stick to it rather than the hairs.
Keep practicing and good luck

Just to add a further question for our waxing experts - would you also apply a light wipe of oil to the bikini area or is using powder preferable.

Since Andy and others first mentioned using oil I've been using it for all my clients in the salon and they all comment how it isn't as painful as usual but I haven't done any bikini waxes for a while.

Just to add a further question for our waxing experts - would you also apply a light wipe of oil to the bikini area or is using powder preferable.

Since Andy and others first mentioned using oil I've been using it for all my clients in the salon and they all comment how it isn't as painful as usual but I haven't done any bikini waxes for a while.

I personally use oil instead of powder for everything, from faces to feet. Definitely makes a world of difference in sensitive areas like the bikini line, regardless of whether using strip or hard wax. Apply the oil after trimming. :)

I don't even have any powder. I've used oil for years and it's so much kinder to your client. xxx

P.S. If any new Geeks are reading this and thinking "WHY OIL??!!"... here's how and why:

You can use oil under both hard and soft wax, regardless of the brand. Unlike powder, this creates a lipid barrier between the wax and skin that can make removal a lot easier for you and the whole experience more comfortable for your client.
  • Some waxing lines include a specific pre-depilatory oil, but any light massage oil will do the trick.
  • If you're a qualified aromatherapist, you can even add a few drops of something like tea-tree or lavender to an unscented massage oil for a synergistic effect. Anita (Huberella) uses pure tea-tree with great success.
  • You want just a light sheen on the skin – remember, you’re not dressing a salad! After your normal pre-wax cleanse, rub a few drops of oil between the palms of your hands and apply to the client’s skin.
  • If you use too much oil the wax will slide about and won‘t stick to anything. If this happens, don’t panic – simply blot the excess with a tissue and try again.
  • You can add more oil as needed throughout the waxing service if the skin becomes dry.
It takes a bit of practice to get the right amount but is well worth the effort. There are many excellent therapists on this board that use powder with brilliant results, but give the oil a go and see how you get on. Nothing to lose! :D

Andy x

Wow thanks Andy for taking the time to put that info down.

I have been reading the hints about using oil but still not had a go as not sure I knew how to go about it, what to use & how etc.

Now I've read your step by step I can't wait to give it a go. I am always a wary waxer and would welcome any tips that make me feel more confident about getting great results.

Thanks again.

Helen x

I'm trying out the Oil technique this very evening. :)

I treated myself to some Wahl cordless clippers .... worth every penny! Makes life so much easier when you need to give the guys with jumpers a little trim first.

Can I ask if there is a particular oil to use?? or am i being plain stupid

Latest posts

Back