Help with writing a cancellation policy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBeth

Reaction score
Hi fellow Geeks, I run a home Nail Salon, working Tuesdays, Thursdays Fridays & Saturday mornings. I have approx 40 regular clients and several semi regular, and a few one off for occasions etc. I work at another Job on Mondays and Wednesdays.
I am quite busy usually, and most clients book in advance, but recently I'm having some little issues with lateness, which I put down to be an at home business, and I must have nothing else to do (I wish) and with very last minute cancellations or changes to booked appointments. Some cancellations just before the booked time, and others for example dropping a pedicure once at their appointment, so I have booked out extra time and set up etc.
The problem although small, has a direct flow on affect, turning away clients from an appointments only to have a last minute cancellation, leaving me with no time to fill the gap, but knowing I have turned people away from this booking already.
I know this happens, and I know there are clients who will always do this regardless of any sort of policy I try to enforce. But I was hoping if I had something typed up, if helps me manage myself and my clients more effectively and professionally.

This is what I have drafted up, I'm not overly happy with how harsh it sounds, and I know it could be reworded much better, but in a nut shell, it's what I want to say.
I'd love some feedback, and constructive criticism, as it's a draft I can change it as needed.
Thanks in advance :)

Due to increasing demand for appointments, I am introducing a cancellation policy, effective as of July 1st 2013

24 hours notice will now required when canceling an appointment, or a fee of 25% of that appointment cost will be added to your next appointment, unless rebooked within a week.

Last minute changes to treatments booked will attract a fee of 25% of that treatment cancelled; for example booking nails and pedicure, then canceling the pedicure once at the appointment. This directly affects other bookings and times available for other clients as well as inconveniencing myself.

I will no longer take appointment bookings from Facebook, enquiries only, all bookings and cancellations are to be made by phone or text only.

I will be now be sending reminder texts to all clients the day before all booked appointments.

Those arriving 15 minutes later than their booked appointment, please be aware full treatment may not be available due to time constraints and if full treatment isn't carried out you will still be charged the full treatment price.

A phone call or text stating you are going to be late to an appointment will always be appreciated.

I have adjusted the opening statement to sound less aggressive???

My business is appointment based, and it only works when appointments are kept.
When you book and appointment with me, I schedule my time with you, and I ask that you extend that same courtesy to me.
I do understand that life sometimes intrudes on previously made plans and that is why I am introducing a cancellation policy, effective as of July 1st 2013

I've decided to scrap the whole idea, its just not me to put this into action :)

Aw I feel for the OP having no responses whatsoever!

I have searched as I am wanting to implement a similar kind of policy but not that many results get throw up.

What do people think of the policy above? I am looking at getting Carl (Verve) to design one to put on Facebook and one to have in the salon.

How effective do you find them?

Do you enforce it EVERY time? Or do you use your discretion.

Latest posts

Back