HELP....Yellow Nails...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nash

Reaction score
OH MY WORD!!! Yesterday I went to what some people call a chop shop to get a manicure. I wanted to see for myself how they did a mani. Thank God I didn't get a pedi.

First off she plunked both my hands in water right off the bat. I tried to pull them back out and she forced them back in. I thought, Ok let see where this goes. As I got to looking around there was NO disinfectant liquid to be seen. Sure enough she pulls out her nippers out of a drawer and put acetone on some cotton and wipes the nippers. Now from what I learned this is not right. Am I wrong? When she is done she puts them back in her drawer and pulls out the pusher but never pushes any cuticle she just cleans under the nail, she tosses that back in the drawer. She never even wiped those with acetone or anything else. I noticed that she had money in this drawer as well. She pulls out the nippers a few times to nip this and that. Back in the drawer it goes.

Polish time. She grabs the pink that I wanted and starts to put it on my nail. I yank back both hands out of reflex and said, "what, no base coat?" She says, "You want base coat? I will put base coat on." The pink was all over my cuticle and side walls.

Today I took it off. I left it on over night to show someone this morning. Ok, it is off and now ALL my nails are yellow. It looks like I have Jaundice. How do I get my nails back to being normal again? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Nash

Curiosity killed the cat!:smack:

I would try using a very fine buffing block on them, to remove the discolouration. I'd go careful tho, don't over buff.

It makes you wonder what the hell was in it to discolour so quickly having used a basecoat?:eek:

Curiosity killed the cat!:smack:

I would try using a very fine buffing block on them, to remove the discolouration. I'd go careful tho, don't over buff.

It makes you wonder what the hell was in it to discolour so quickly having used a basecoat?:eek:

Yes, curiosity killed the cat. Thanks for the smack I needed that!!!

I will do as you suggested just as soon as I take a picture of them, camera is on the way. I want these to be an example to others who think that using poor quality material is OK.

Yes, I do wonder what she used to make them yellow this fast. I am just glad I took the stuff off today and didn't wait days. YIKES....

Thanks for the feedback.
Nash

It's a common belief that using a base coat prevents yellowing but really this is not true.

If there is something in the polish (or base coat) (usually high formaldehyde content) that is going to react with the surface layer on your nail plate, then it will do it, base coat or not.

Nails can yellow for a variety of reasons but it is only surface and using a soft white block buffer or something similar will remove it for you.

Blimey! Sounds like you need a pamper after that experience hun!!
I am in agreement with Bev...you'll only be able to get rid of the yellow by using a white buffing block...massage cuticle cream in afterwards to recondition the nail bed.

All the best!

It's a common belief that using a base coat prevents yellowing but really this is not true.

If there is something in the polish (or base coat) (usually high formaldehyde content) that is going to react with the surface layer on your nail plate, then it will do it, base coat or not.

Nails can yellow for a variety of reasons but it is only surface and using a soft white block buffer or something similar will remove it for you.

So you don't have to put a base coat on at all? If not, then why do we use a base coat?

After spending months reading this site I really have come to hate the school I went to. I feel like I don't know anything at all. Very frustrating to say the least!!! :mad:

So you don't have to put a base coat on at all? If not, then why do we use a base coat?

After spending months reading this site I really have come to hate the school I went to. I feel like I don't know anything at all. Very frustrating to say the least!!! :mad:

You should always use a base coat when polishing but its not for the reason of preventing discolouration that you use it.

We use base coat to anchor the polish to the nail plate. Simple as that. Base coats are a more stickey consistency (if they are good ones anyway) and this prevents polish chipping.

It's not about yellowing it's about the polish lasting longer when you use a top quality base coat like CND Stickey Base Coat.

It's OK Nash .. you can come to my school here on the site .. I'm a teacher!! :)

You should always use a base coat when polishing but its not for the reason of preventing discolouration that you use it.

We use base coat to anchor the polish to the nail plate. Simple as that. Base coats are a more stickey consistency (if they are good ones anyway) and this prevents polish chipping.

It's not about yellowing it's about the polish lasting longer when you use a top quality base coat like CND Stickey Base Coat.

It's OK Nash .. you can come to my school here on the site .. I'm a teacher!! :)

Thanks Geeg!!! I have learned a ton already.

I have been trying to figure out how to get polish to say on natural nails for more then two days. Any hints on this would be greatly appreciated. I only do natural nails at the moment. I am going to get into Brisa gel nails within the next 6 months. I am in the process of ordering the training hand. Can't wait to get that.

Nash

You can buy a product from Sally's its called VaRoom Lemon Brite Creamy Cuticle Remover and Nail Britener. Here's the link to the website Cuticle Care
Hope this works for you!!

Thanks Geeg!!! I have learned a ton already.

I have been trying to figure out how to get polish to say on natural nails for more then two days. Any hints on this would be greatly appreciated. I only do natural nails at the moment. I am going to get into Brisa gel nails within the next 6 months. I am in the process of ordering the training hand. Can't wait to get that.

Nash

The only real trick for getting polish to stay on natural nails is to make the surface of the nail as squeeky clean as possible and dry before you apply the base coat.

Remove all cuticle from the plate using CND Cutical Remover (don't forget to wash it off whenyou're done). I have never used a product as quick and effective as this one.

Next use a very soft grit buffer and lightly exfoliate the nail plate in the direction of growth only.

Next use a lint free pad with some ScrubFresh and thoroughly scrub the surface of each nail. Let dry and apply a coat of Stickey Base Coat.

Follow immediately with 2 thin coats of colour and finally a top coat of ND Air Dry or Super Shiney.

Spritz with Solar Speed Spray and sell your client a bottle of solar Oil to use every day. It is imortant to use it as it keeps the polish supple. when the nail moves the polish is flexible so it doesn't chip!!!! The polish will last as long as it possibly can on a natural nail.

The only real trick for getting polish to stay on natural nails is to make the surface of the nail as squeeky clean as possible and dry before you apply the base coat.

Remove all cuticle from the plate using CND Cutical Remover (don't forget to wash it off whenyou're done). I have never used a product as quick and effective as this one.

Next use a very soft grit buffer and lightly exfoliate the nail plate in the direction of growth only.

Next use a lint free pad with some ScrubFresh and thoroughly scrub the surface of each nail. Let dry and apply a coat of Stickey Base Coat.

Follow immediately with 2 thin coats of colour and finally a top coat of ND Air Dry or Super Shiney.

Spritz with Solar Speed Spray and sell your client a bottle of solar Oil to use every day. It is imortant to use it as it keeps the polish supple. when the nail moves the polish is flexible so it doesn't chip!!!! The polish will last as long as it possibly can on a natural nail.

Thank you Geeg. I will do exactly as you say and see how it works.

Nash

You can buy a product from Sally's its called VaRoom Lemon Brite Creamy Cuticle Remover and Nail Britener. Here's the link to the website Cuticle Care
Hope this works for you!!

Thank you. I have already buffed it off. :)
Nash

Latest posts

Back