Hema allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janek19

Reaction score
Hello I am going to Nail School right now and I am six weeks away from graduation! I have wanted to do nails for years and finally I am following my Tashan. Quite sometime ago I knew I had a small allergic reaction to something whether it be acrylic gel or gel polish. I finally went and got a patch test done and I am highly allergic to HEMA and the 17 other names that I can go by. The brand I am using at school of course I'm allergic to. What I am looking for is a product that does not contain this or some of the other terms it goes by. Gel acrylic gel polish or anything like that would be so much help me greatly appreciated.

Cjp nail system's original monomer is hema free. Their master monomer isn't though so if you buy it I'd recommend contacting them first

Nail Perfect has a hema free range :)

Hello I am going to Nail School right now and I am six weeks away from graduation! I have wanted to do nails for years and finally I am following my Tashan. Quite sometime ago I knew I had a small allergic reaction to something whether it be acrylic gel or gel polish. I finally went and got a patch test done and I am highly allergic to HEMA and the 17 other names that I can go by. The brand I am using at school of course I'm allergic to. What I am looking for is a product that does not contain this or some of the other terms it goes by. Gel acrylic gel polish or anything like that would be so much help me greatly appreciated.

Oh no... I feel your pain. I too am allergic to HEMA.

Here are some of the products I have used without reacting:
ibd Just Gel Polish (do not use the Powerbond as it contains HEMA as does the top coat)
ibd Clear Gel
NSI Universal Liquid (monomer)
NSI Superbond Primer

I found both ibd and NSI excellent for info on their MSDS so maybe refer to these for further info.
Always check the base coats, top coats and prep products as well.

Also it would be worth getting the MSDS for any products you are considering.
I always do a patch test on my arm first, even if a product doesn't contain HEMA.

I now use an industrial strength barrier cream and use double thick gloves all the time, although the molecules do tend to still get in at times and I get small reactions from time to time as I don't always use HEMA free on my clients.

If you want to contact me on my FBook inbox I am more than happy to have a chat with you.
There are some particular products I can tell you to definitely stay away from but I don't want to mention them here.
Here is the link to my FB page https://www.facebook.com/BelsGels/

Good luck on your journey :)

ibd Just Gel Polish (do not use the Powerbond as it contains HEMA as does the top coat)
ibd Clear Gel
NSI Superbond Primer

I found both ibd and NSI excellent for info on their MSDS so maybe refer to these for further info.

I always do a patch test on my arm first, even if a product doesn't contain HEMA.

I now use an industrial strength barrier cream and use double thick gloves all the time, although the molecules do tend to still get in at times and I get small reactions from time to time as I don't always use HEMA free on my clients.

If you want to contact me on my FBook inbox I am more than happy to have a chat with you.
There are some particular products I can tell you to definitely stay away from but I don't want to mention them here.

Thank you so much! I just finished a patch test through my allergist and had a few different reactions. They gave me a list of names that are other names for it. They are definitely hidden in a lot of products! I use gloves as well but it would definitely be nice to know that I can do my nails with different products as well !

Try cjp white bottle , as ciderella said above it's hema free my allergy was so bad I was thinking of quitting after 17 years but now I'm good to go

ibd Clear Gel
NSI Superbond Primer

Can i ask what symptoms you had which lead you to know it was hema allergy as I am trying to pin point what my allergy could be ...
Thank you

Thank you so much! I just finished a patch test through my allergist and had a few different reactions. They gave me a list of names that are other names for it. They are definitely hidden in a lot of products! I use gloves as well but it would definitely be nice to know that I can do my nails with different products as well !

Hello I see you your allergist gave you a list of names hema goes by. Could you tell me more please

Can i ask what symptoms you had which lead you to know it was hema allergy as I am trying to pin point what my allergy could be ...
Thank you
I had severe itching and swelling of my finger tips. Very painful. It first started some 7 years ago and I found it difficult to get answers.
I did a lot of research and asked many techs. One suggested it could be HEMA allergy.
So I studied all my Material Safety Data Sheets for each product and eliminated those with HEMA.
I did not get the same reaction from products that did NOT contain HEMA.
Anytime I come in contact with HEMA, I have a reaction. Some people can be allergic to filing dust which luckily I am not.
The only products I have anymore that do contain HEMA are mainly gel polish. When using these on clients I always use gloves but even this does not always protect me from a flair up.
It is very important you study the ingredients in ALL the products you use as some prep products such a primers can contain HEMA. It is also widely used in gels and esp gel polish.
The list I products I have mentioned further up this thread still stand.
Its important to know that it may not be HEMA you are reacting to, however in my case it was.
The only real way you would know is to have allergy testing done.

Where can I have a allergy test done, do I have to be in the reaction period for them to find out.. my symptoms are itchy fingers , cuticles mainly! And they get hot ... i never had this problem before and then after having my daughter I needed a pamper and thats where it started

So depending on the country and industry, chemicals have different names. To simplify this, Safety Data Sheets and product labels in Europe must use the INCI version of the name. In the case of HEMA, the INCI name is HEMA. But if you read medical or chemistry article, it is also called:
Hydroxyethyl Methacrylate, or
2-Hydroxyethyl Methacrylate

HEMA is a gateway allergen. This means that an allergy to HEMA encourages allergies to other ingredients. So from my experience, it is rare to see a patch test result from someone who is allergic to HEMA, that doesn't also show allergies to 4 or 5, or more, other ingredients.

This is why it is NOT a good idea to recommend or use HEMA-free monomer if someone has a HEMA allergy. This type of monomer often uses Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate (INCI name, but also called HPMA) and if someone has a HEMA allergy, it is very easy for them to become allergic to HPMA - which is the #2 nail product allergen in the UK (after HEMA #1).

Where can I have a allergy test done, do I have to be in the reaction period for them to find out.. my symptoms are itchy fingers , cuticles mainly! And they get hot ... i never had this problem before and then after having my daughter I needed a pamper and thats where it started

Visit your GP and ask for a referral to a dermatologist. If the GP is not sympathetic (some are not and see nail product allergies as a self imposed condition), push for it. You are entitled.

Depending on where you live in the UK, an appointment can take a few months or even up to 24 months. Or you can go private, but I don't know what the cost of that is, sorry.

Okay I understand what you are saying... i am just so down about all this I love Having my nails done and it just feels like I'm now stuck because I get severe itchy fingers and they become hot

Okay ill give it ago and hopefully my gp will help me go in the right direction

Okay I understand what you are saying... i am just so down about all this I love Having my nails done and it just feels like I'm now stuck because I get severe itchy fingers and they become hot
I have never had testing done as I have manged to control the situation at a level I am happy with.
If you are getting your nails done by a professional nail tech it can be quite difficult to find one who may listen to your concerns. There are some good ones out there but you will need to do your work to find one who will take everything into account.
Even if you have allergy testing done you will need to make sure your nail tech understands the results. A lot may shy away from getting involved with complex cases.
Once you have the results in hand it may be up to you to do the research on different products and study the material safety data sheets. Once you have possible brands you think might be okay, then try and find techs who use those brands.
Hopefully you can find a way to still pamper yourself by having your nails done but it might take some work on your behalf to find the right nail tech for your needs.
Good luck

I'm allergic to all gels I've tried. I have to wear gloves to paint with and remove. I have worn it on occasions and as long as there is none near the skin it is ok, x

Latest posts

Back