HEMA and Di-HEMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

natashamae612

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently found out im allergic to a builder gel that contains HEMA which I know is a common problem. However I’m not reacting to one containing Di-HEMA. Does anyone know if Di-HEMA is safer in anyway? Or less likely to cause reactions at all? Or do I just need to stay clear of all Hema? I know Di-HEMA and HEMA are both very different. Thanks guys.

I am a trained nail tech.

natashamae612

Reaction score
Also, can I now not use any products with any percentage of HEMA in? Or would I maybe be okay with small amounts?

perfect10kb

Reaction score
Di-Hema is a bonded form of Hema so is less likely to cause reactions . It is used in a lot of nail products :) If you have reacted to the Hema in the builder gel then I would avoid using products with HEMA in them totally

BobSweden

Managing Director
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Di-HEMA is manufactured from HEMA, but has a much bigger molecule size, so the risk of allergy is far less. So far less, that it is a very popular ingredient in hypoallergenic products. However, because it is made from HEMA, there is a risk that some HEMA remains in Di-HEMA as a contaminant. This means that the product chemist has to carefully select the source of the Di-HEMA to use.

BobSweden

Managing Director
Premium Geek
Reaction score
TBH, best to avoid any product that contains HEMA. There is no good reason for any product to use this, except to save cost. Better alternatives exist. HEMA is also a cross sensitiser - which means it encourages allergies to other ingredient to develop. Especially to Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate (HPMA) which is used in HEMA-free monomers. Moving from a HEMA monomer to a HEMA_free is a very bad idea if someone wants to avoid further allergies in the long-term.

soniamgibbs

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently found out im allergic to a builder gel that contains HEMA which I know is a common problem. However I’m not reacting to one containing Di-HEMA. Does anyone know if Di-HEMA is safer in anyway? Or less likely to cause reactions at all? Or do I just need to stay clear of all Hema? I know Di-HEMA and HEMA are both very different. Thanks guys.

I am a trained nail tech.
Have a watch of Jim McConnells YouTube video from Light Elegance on HEMA. He explains all you need to know and clarifies the differences between HEMA and di-HEMA. I think every nail tech should watch this. He does a regular video session called chemist corner full of super useful info. Here’s the link:

Latest posts