Hemp hair colours on pregnant woman?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkcouture

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks, just popped over from beauty for your expert advice. I am currently pregnant and have avoided have any on the scalp colour as I've heard that you can become more sensitive in pregnancy and also that if you do have a reaction to colour then treating it isn't as easy when you are pregnant. I don't know how true this is but have so far decided to be safe and steer clear! However my friend suggested that maybe hemp or natural colours would be safe? What do you all think? Thanks!

No, I wouldn't recommend using anything if you're naturally sensitive.

Definitely DO NOT use natural products if they contain henna or henna derivatives. It may be a natural substance but it can cause unpleasant reactions on women unused to it and some hennas leave a build up of minerals for a long time afterwards, so that when you do get a chemical service, it reacts and the hair breaks off.

I coloured my hair throughout my pregnancy and many hair geeks do likewise but it's really up to you to balance your risks. If you want to have any colour, either stick to Semi's that don't require a developer or use foils to avoid the colour mix touching your scalp.

Thanks for replying, I'm not normally sensitive and have never reacted before. Could i just do a patch test a few days before?

Yes, patch testing is a good idea and ask them to use a darker tint than the colour they're planning to use on your hair. With a patch, you're only applying a small amount of the chemical on a tiny area of your skin and if you then had an all over colour for instance, more of your scalp would be in contact with the PPD in the colour.

The darker tints contain more concentrated amounts of PPD than the lighter colours, so that's why I'd use a darker tint for testing.

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the advice :)

I always skin test with a level 4. X

Latest posts

Back