Henna brow training kit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Selman

Reaction score
Henna brows seem to be making a bit of a commotion on the brow scene. Has anyone worked with henna on the brow before. I'm thinking of doing an online course and getting the kit. The tints don't appear reddish at all, or contain that ppd or lead etc. I like the fact that they say it lasts 2-4 weeks on skin. Alot of my clients like how the skin takes on tint...but it only lasts for a day.

Henna brows seem to be making a bit of a commotion on the brow scene. Has anyone worked with henna on the brow before. I'm thinking of doing an online course and getting the kit. The tints don't appear reddish at all, or contain that ppd or lead etc. I like the fact that they say it lasts 2-4 weeks on skin. Alot of my clients like how the skin takes on tint...but it only lasts for a day.
Which Kit are you looking at? x

There's one called henna spa or one called vivienne.... both seem to include the whole kit and all solutions. Henna spa has training.

What is the online course

Be careful with Henna
Black henna use is a contra indication for us hairdressers when it comes to colouring hair.:oops:

Henna looks amazing, except it's the one thing that has really toxic levels of PPD in which is the thing that causes reactions and sensitivities.

This could then give them a reaction next time they go to the hairdressers or have a normal tint... or if you go to henna again... :) xx

Black henna is apparently something other than henna and definitely not in the new lines of brow henna. No PPD either. In fact it's only partly henna as true henna is really only red based and these new tints come in a variety of color. The only thing I can't be sure of is how they would react to other vegetable based tint but I'm assuming because all the traditional tint lines are vegetable based it should be ok. As for regular hair dye well you shouldn't really use that on your brows anyway.

With henna if you mix iron powder and mix in wok it turns black.

What site is the online training on? I can only find it on the US site and no kit included?

Black henna is apparently something other than henna and definitely not in the new lines of brow henna. No PPD either. In fact it's only partly henna as true henna is really only red based and these new tints come in a variety of color. The only thing I can't be sure of is how they would react to other vegetable based tint but I'm assuming because all the traditional tint lines are vegetable based it should be ok. As for regular hair dye well you shouldn't really use that on your brows anyway.

It may be mainly vegetable based but most Henna powders also contains metallic compounds that react badly to professional hair colour. It's difficult to thoroughly remove henna through normal washing. The problem will occur if the client decides to request a normal brow tint afterwards. Ordinary brow tints require a peroxide based activator and this will cause an exothermic reaction when it comes into contact with the henna compound. The client will experience a severe burning sensation and then hair breakage.

Well I'm not an expert but after further research, it sounds like it's not the peroxide but the ammonia in regular hair dye that the henna reacts with. All the new brow hennaspa on the market are ppd and lead free. I will have to email a supplier though and ask how regular peroxide will react with the henna though.

That's correct.
However, I think you slightly misunderstood what I was explaining. It's not the peroxide that's the issue but when it mixes with the brow tint, it causes a chemical reaction (ammonia is released - it has a distinctive smell) and that's what reacts with the metal compounds in the henna.
Brow tint from the tube won't do much on its own without the addition of the activator.

In hairdressing training, you usually do an incompatibility test on a swatch of hair containing metallic salts and watch it get hot, fizz and break. It's quite shocking but it's a useful learning opportunity. Bizarrely, some shop bought box dyes contain metallic salts but clients are usually blissfully unaware.

Unfortunately, clients are also reluctant to disclose if they've used a home colour and occasionally, you'll apply the hair colour and within a few minutes you can feel the hair getting very hot and you have to wash it all off straight away. If you don't notice it in time, (hair in foil packets), the client will probably experience a degree of breakage.

That's why most hairdresser's see a big red flashing light when a client mentions having applied henna on their hair.

It's also a good reminder that just because something's naturally occurring, it doesn't mean it's 100% risk free. After all, arsenic is natural..!

Aah ok. Thankyou!
I will definitely email the companies and just ask and also hope to get an honest answer from them.

Hi.. Iv also been following this henna craze! Has anyone got any further with it?... I was in touch with one lady who was based in the uk and dristributed from Russia. but she has currently gone MIA! All the brands i have fount work out of Russia or Australis and I really want to have training in this product for the colours and mixologies and obviously the staining. I love everything sbout this product.

Am I correct in thinking that Brow Henna is a natural product. only mixed with water? Is this actuallly not the most natural way of tining available ( or should i say staining)

Does anyone have any information/ contacts that they can pass on to me?

Thanks Guys

Ok so I've been using it for a few months now and here is what I've found. I've been using Brow Henna by irina levchuk.
It reacts fine so far with my clients who I usually use regular plant based tint on..refectocil etc
The darker shades are easier to work with and cooler toned whereas the blonde shades are very warm and I haven't found the right mix yet. I'm almost ready to write the blonde shades off completely.
I don't find it lasts more than a week on the skin unless using the darker shades.
There's lots of professionals on instagram using it but usually in the middle east so I can't read what blends they are using :( any western countries using it don't provide regular updates so I suspect they have the same problems.
When I do get color combos right on the right client it can be magical so I'm determined to figure it out.
It's very expensive :(
Personally I'm not willing to take the 300$ training plus spend so much on the product but you basically take the powder and mix it with water so it should be straight forward.

Ok so I've been using it for a few months now and here is what I've found. I've been using Brow Henna by irina levchuk.
It reacts fine so far with my clients who I usually use regular plant based tint on..refectocil etc
The darker shades are easier to work with and cooler toned whereas the blonde shades are very warm and I haven't found the right mix yet. I'm almost ready to write the blonde shades off completely.
I don't find it lasts more than a week on the skin unless using the darker shades.
There's lots of professionals on instagram using it but usually in the middle east so I can't read what blends they are using :( any western countries using it don't provide regular updates so I suspect they have the same problems.
When I do get color combos right on the right client it can be magical so I'm determined to figure it out.
It's very expensive :(
Personally I'm not willing to take the 300$ training plus spend so much on the product but you basically take the powder and mix it with water so it should be straight forward.

Hi Robin.

THANK YOU! so much for replying and giving your honest opinion.

IM GUTTED. The whole reason I wanted to take this on was
- for the time it stainined the skin
- the blonde shades

I CURRENTLY use Refectocil Tint ( ALL OF THEM) the grey for cool tones and the red/chestnut for warmer tones.

BUT some clinets skin just doesnt want to "take" on the skin staining element and wanted something more for clients for had spares// fine// thin hairs to create the illusion that there was something there that they wouldnt need to fill in with make up every day.

I have been watching the Brow henna and Henna Spa.. I have also been watching Nikki Mole. All training i can find is based in Russia, unfortunatly they dont cater for English speakers. ( I was willing to go that far)

I really wanted something that catered for BLONDES. Lets face it light brown + grey ... Is not blonde at all!

Have you been colour mixing on your arm or clients to get the correct shade?

Am i also correct in thinking that the henna has to be applied in 3 layers, once dry on top of each other??

How long is it left on before removing?

Have you got the White Brow Paste?

Sorry for all your info!

Hi Robin.

THANK YOU! so much for replying and giving your honest opinion.

IM GUTTED. The whole reason I wanted to take this on was
- for the time it stainined the skin
- the blonde shades

I CURRENTLY use Refectocil Tint ( ALL OF THEM) the grey for cool tones and the red/chestnut for warmer tones.

BUT some clinets skin just doesnt want to "take" on the skin staining element and wanted something more for clients for had spares// fine// thin hairs to create the illusion that there was something there that they wouldnt need to fill in with make up every day.

I have been watching the Brow henna and Henna Spa.. I have also been watching Nikki Mole. All training i can find is based in Russia, unfortunatly they dont cater for English speakers. ( I was willing to go that far)

I really wanted something that catered for BLONDES. Lets face it light brown + grey ... Is not blonde at all!

Have you been colour mixing on your arm or clients to get the correct shade?

Am i also correct in thinking that the henna has to be applied in 3 layers, once dry on top of each other??

How long is it left on before removing?

Have you got the White Brow Paste?

Sorry for all your info!

If you do find something, I would be very interested too. I also use refectocil and find it takes on some peoples skin very quickly, on others you can hardly see it. It's a shame.

If you do find something, I would be very interested too. I also use refectocil and find it takes on some peoples skin very quickly, on others you can hardly see it. It's a shame.

Im glad im not the only person that thinks this about tint.

Althought, i do favor Refectocil over all other tints!

Im glad im not the only person that thinks this about tint.

Althought, i do favor Refectocil over all other tints!

I guess microblading is going to be the only solution. Love Refectocil. But I use Combinal on mine at home and leave it on for ages (I usually forget about it)

I guess microblading is going to be the only solution. Love Refectocil. But I use Combinal on mine at home and leave it on for ages (I usually forget about it)
I don't find combinal stains the skin as well as reflectocil :( however there's a brow stylist in Australia who sells E-color tint and it really stains the skin. Look up Melanie Marris brow stylist.

Latest posts

Back