Henna hair dye

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpazza

Reaction score
Hi
What's your thoughts on henna? I dye my hair myself, I am not a hairdresser BTW, and use JoiCo natural brown to cover grey. I am wanting to change to a non toxic colour, my hairdresser who is really good said they are unpredictable but I just don't want to use chemicals on my hair.

Can any one vouch for henna a non toxic brand. Thanks Claire

Lots of people use henna to colour their hair and skin but you must be very careful. DO NOT use henna if you intend to use any professional hair colouring products for up to 6 months afterwards.

If you have used henna it is vital that you inform your colourist before having any professional colour or lightening service and ensure they perform an incompatibility test on some strands of your hair beforehand. The Henna within the hair shaft can produce an exothermic reaction when it mixes with the chemicals in the professional hair colour product. This means it gets very hot, fizzes and breaks. Your scalp could also suffer from weeping scalp burns.

Lots of people use henna to colour their hair and skin but you must be very careful. DO NOT use henna if you intend to use any professional hair colouring products for up to 6 months afterwards.

If you have used henna it is vital that you inform your colourist before having any professional colour or lightening service and ensure they perform an incompatibility test on some strands of your hair beforehand. The Henna within the hair shaft can produce an exothermic reaction when it mixes with the chemicals in the professional hair colour product. This means it gets very hot, fizzes and breaks. Your scalp could also suffer from weeping scalp burns.
I was about to say the same. My mom used henna for years and it’s great for her but don’t mix with regular dye ever, if it’s ever been dyed before with professional hair color for at least 6 months and always inform your stylist before you used henna.

Thank you very much for your advice, do you know any non toxic brands that may be worth a look at xx

Do you know of a good salon by you that does organic coloring? You’ll get a more consistent result.

Hey Cpazza, when you say non toxic I think you'll struggle in all honesty.

If you can provide a list of ingredients you want to avoid people could likely help more but unfortunately non toxic is such a huge scope to work within I think you're more likely to end up with opinion rather than facts.

Lastly I'll chip in with Henna too, be very cautious if you do go down this route as most henna "brands" on the market are probably not what you're looking for and instead are man made oxidative colours with a henna addition. As I say ingredient mindfullness is a very difficult topic and I really believe the only way to answer is if you know exactly what you want to avoid and consider a toxic ingredient (after all oxygen is toxic in high concentrations but I wouldn't want to try and go without ;) ).

Latest posts

Back