Hi guys new to site

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scissors2005

Reaction score
Hi guy just found this site,wish i d found it months ago,its very interesting and helpful.Here s my dilemma,I started training about a year ago on a 6 day complete technician course with star nail,starting with manicure,then 4 days training with vf21lyte(acrylic that needs a lamp)i was advised that because it needs to be cured under the lamp it allows longer workable time, which is good for a beginner, then my last day was nail art,these 6 days were spread out over a few months.I found that even though ive practised no end i still couldnt stop the lifting sometimes the whole of the acrylic came clean off.When i asked my trainer she told me that it was just practice,so i kept on practicing and booked a further 4 more work shops costing me£50 each.I thought i would try the performance on the first workshop,i found this much easier to work with and was pleased with the results,but still got lifting,my trainer told me it really was just a question of practise and that even she got some lifting sometimes.On the next workshop i wanted to go over infills because i was having trouble fileing the acrylic down it seemed so hard and i couldnt seem to get rid of the line the more i filed the more the product seemed to come away.My trainer told me that it was just the angle that i held the brush,but i still cant get that right,i cant seem to blend it in right and you can see the join once ive completed the infill. The next workshop she recommended that i tried the gel so i did found this a bit difficult to contol but it was my first time.I havent used it since i thought i would try to master the acrylic first.so the next workshop when i got there everyone who was doing acrylic nails today was going to try sculptured,i enjoyed this and got on very well with it,my trainer told me that i had good control with my brush i she was pleased with the results.I have been practising this on my clients and do really preffer sculpured nails both to look at and to do,but i m still getting lifting and still having problems with infills,i have read some of the other posts on this site and i must admit i havent used cuticle remover when doing the cuticle work we wernt taught to do this,also i noticed that a lot of people recommend scrubfresh what brand is this i use protect sanitiser that i got in my kit.I have also done the air spray course with the same company,in all ive been given 7 certificates and 1 diploma, and i still dont feel that i canSorry to go on but give a good enough service i m happy with the result once ive done them in the beggining but its the lifting and infilling.I am going to excel next week,and would like to try a different product any reccomendations.I am also interested in doing a gel course could anyone reccommend one,i m hoping to emmigrate to australia next year so a product that i could get hold of ever there would be good. I would like to do a city and quilds in nail extensions but none of our colleges in my area seem to do it.Sorry to go on any help would be gratefully recieved.

Welcome to the board......
It`ll take you weeks to plough through all the posts on here but its a great education so go for it.
As for your lifting.......you really need to use cuticle remover and do a thorough prep to avoid lifting, also keeping the product thin around cuticle area and pressing it into the nail while applying.
Scrubfresh is a Creative product which not only temporarily dehydrates the nail and cleans but leave pathogen fighters behind, essential in prepping the natural nail.
Having said that, protect sanitiser is widely used and those techs don`t get lift either. This makes me sad that you`re paying all that money and your tutor still isn`t helping you with your problems, after all, all the practising in the world isn`t going to help if you`re doing something wrong is it? Maybe you should get together with another tech in your area and do some brainstorming to sort out your problems.
Whatever you do, don`t let it get you down to the point of giving up, just keep looking to improve, you will get there.

Hiya

If you want to do a qualification that is certificated by the City and Guilds you can do the new NVQ which is launching in September....

I will PM you details of an assessor that might be able to help you out...

Hi,

This may not particularly help, but I have read a few threads reently on this site from people who trained with Star Nails and had similar probs. I also recently finished my 4day training wtih VF21 Lyte, and though I don't use it on many clients (I also use BioSculpture), I don't find it the results as great as I had hoped for...
...anyway, what I started saying was (!) that previos posts have said the same thing and gone on to train with other systems and never looked back (try doing a search on 'Star Nails' if you haven;t already?), I am going to look at NSI, EZ Flow and Creative when I go tho the show, and try some samples - as these all seem highly recommended!
Hope this helps??

Thanks guys for your help,i ve ordered some scrubfresh and some cuticle remover from creative,i ll let you know how i get on,i ll also take some advise on doing an nvq,but if anybody has information on any other training i would be interested,most training seems to involve buying expensive kits which is ok if your happy with the product,i m going to look to buy a couple of trial kits at the show creative and opi any advise,i would like to learn gel nails also,thinking about bio sculpture,i ll have a look at the show,got to master this lifting anyway.

thanks guys

Tracey

Hi scissors and welcome to the board,

I used star nail vf21 (not lyte) and was also experiencing problems. I perservered until I couldnt take it any more and bought a sample kit from nsi. I've never looked back since, I had no problems with this right from the beginning it was sucha confidence boost. I think you allready have it worked out, you said your going to excel and are going to look into a few other products. This is an excellent idea, watch the demos and judge for yourself, maybe pick up some tips along the way. I know thats what Im going to do.

About gel, Im not trained in that at the moment but I have been speaking to Amber from nsi and she told me because I have mastered acrylic, I wont need to do the full 4 day course in gel, she will do 1 day with me 1 to 1 at my home saving me a whopping 400 quid. I will be booking this at excel on Sunday. If you can master acrylic maybe this could also be the way for you hun. HTH

I agree with Debs post so much.

All the practice in the world will not help you unless something changes in how you do your work. A teacher is really no help at all if she/he cannot point out exactly where you need to improve .. whether it is your prep or your application technique. You need constructive advice.

Sometimes the product itself can be letting a good technician down and making her loose confidence. My advice would be to change your product and whist at the show do allot of watching and listening. Demos etc can often give you a new slant on prep and application and suddenly the 'light bulb' goes on and you GET IT.

Yet again I agree with Geeg, at the show do alot of looking and listening. I have learnt so much by doing this over the years.....and I have found the people there more than willing to help. Many times I have found the 'light bulb' going on!!!!

Just a little tip....take a pen and paper and write things down when you see something that you think is worth remembering. If you don't you will have forgotten half of it by the time you get home!!!!

HTH :biggrin:

cheers for the advise,i m going to have a good look at the show,and try some trial products,i think a one on one would be a lot of help the classes i went to were very big about 12 plus clients,we didnt get much individual attention,does anyone know of anyone that would do this preferably in the peterborough area,but if i have to travel i will,this site is a great help.

TRacey

Latest posts

Back