Hi, I'll be with you in just one second.... next thing you know, its a few hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All i'm saying is just give her the benefit of the doubt and then judge!

I can't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of setting up a profile if they were taking the p*ss out of us.

I may be wrong, probably am but let her explain first!

:rolleyes: it's been done before, but i guess ur right..i dont think anyone was nasty tho!

I should imagine, that due to the time zone differences... the girl will either be asleep or in work and unable to reply AND

Perhaps she may have embellished slightly regarding her experience....

... but until proven otherwise, it would be nice to treat her with the respect deserved by any member of the Geek site

Sometimes it's someone with nothing better to do, they fall across a forum, check it out, then wind everyone up.

OR it's actually a member, wanting to have a chuckle and see what happens, and then they wind us up. (this can be checked by a mod or site owner by verifying the IP addie to see if it matches any exisiting members)

I've seen this before on other forums and chat rooms.

Like I said...

IGNORE
and if she's legit, we can all apologize later.
But... I'm inclined to think otherwise.

i dont think she has done it deliberatly but how many people on here (including) me are fed up of nss salons? and there a girl here blatently admitting she is untrained, so will be uninsured is damaging nails and is still let out on the public

i really think we should just ignore these threads if or untill she gets back to us (lil hypocrital as im replying and have done i know..lol)

Come on girls , lets play niceley , she really might need our help and advice. Maybe she hasnt replied back because shes to scared to come back to us.

Im gonna check out her other threads
xx

Goodness me we all love to have our little say don't we! Whilst this person may seem to be on a bit of a windup, there will be a few people with egg on their faces if they aren't. And if it is then it hardly makes us look like a friendly bunch of peeps does it? :rolleyes:

As the saying goes on here, if you can't reply constructively then leave it alone.

In case someone genuinely is having trouble scheduling their clients then the easy answer is to use an appointment book, even if you have a walk in policy. Then you know how long you have booked each client out and won't get in a pickle.

Here here sassy xxxxxx

If you read my first posting to "ring the alarm" you will get my gist. Once again.... all I was doing was asking a true from the heart question. And your right, I did put the wrong date in the profile. I graduated from nail school 3 years ago but I have not been doing nails for three years!! Maybe a year and a few months now as a intern. But so the-F-what..... even if it wasn't a mistake/typo, that doesn't mean you all have to rag on someone the way you guys did. Like I said before.... I have a job and multiple things that I have to do during the day... I can not always jump on the computer every five minutes to check what someone has to say. Regardless of the fact, I was very excited to be apart of this, so I would still make time to come on the computer to see what I could get advice on even if it was real late. (Like right now... its 3:19am) What the hell do I look like coming on this website to play games! What would be the point?!! Apex73 was the only one to give the benefit of the doubt that I might be genuine... and I thank you for that. Like I said... this should be a smack in the face for all you so called professionals:smack: Especially VHunter... miss know it all

P.S.- I was only looking for someone to help me ..... but nevermind.... like I said before I'll look somewhere else.:mad:

Erm actually hun if you read my reply again you can see that I too have given you the benefit of the doubt AND answered your question.

You have to bear with us as we do get people on here who come on specifically to rub up us up the wrong way, and after a while it does make you kind of guarded.

I am pleased that you recognise that your skills are lacking in many areas and you want to do something about it. The best advice we always give is to get some hands on training, nothing beats it.

So let's start again on the right foot, and let's see some constructive posting around here please geeks. And Pinky's, I really don't think saying you want to smack some of us in the face is really necessary either!

Goodness me we all love to have our little say don't we! Whilst this person may seem to be on a bit of a windup, there will be a few people with egg on their faces if they aren't. And if it is then it hardly makes us look like a friendly bunch of peeps does it? :rolleyes:
With all respect Sassy, I don't feel like I have egg on my face. I posted in Pinky's thread about Overdrilling and feel I have explained myself. I genuinely hope Pinky finds suitable training to pursue something we all share a passion for. Perhaps the US geeks can help?

this should be a smack in the face for all you so called professionals:smack: Especially VHunter... miss know it all

P.S.- I was only looking for someone to help me ..... but nevermind.... like I said before I'll look somewhere else.:mad:

You might want to backtrack and take note that I said 'IF she's legit, we can all apologize" for jumping to the same conclusion.
If only one of us jumped.. then I'd say that person was way off track. BUT most us jumped... so the wording & circumstances certainly set us off.

While your rudeness is unjustified since I was never rude to you, I will still apologize AS I PROMISED to do so in the first place (others were harsher than I, and you don't seem to want to smack them as hard). I'm a big enough person to know when I'm wrong, and say so.
So, I apologize for having been wrong.

I am NOT a know it all, FAR FROM IT. In fact, if you stick around, you'll find that your first impression of us is very wrong. While an understandable impression, still wrong.
This is an EXTREMELY giving and generous community of geeks. You would do well to stick around and get to know us. There is much to learn here, MORE than you could possibly imagine, many friends to be made, and a lot of laughs to share. When I first joined, I made a few wrong assumptions about people. While getting to know them, I realized how I very wrong I was.
We are PASSIONATE geeks, who abhore any damage to natural nails. We get riled daily about damage that NSS techs do, so we are easily set off with any mention of damage. Just look at the threads, NSS issues crop up DAILY. I am NOT saying your NSS, just simply explaining why we all got so 'het up' over the whole thing.

Perhaps, when you get to know us, and look back on these threads, you'll then understand WHY they wound us up. And then maybe, you can laugh "with" us over the whole thing.:wink2:

Again, my apologies for all of us.
I hope you change your mind and decide to stick around.
Perhaps we can all learn 'from each other' with regards to this experience.

:hug:

I'm gonna go out on limb add my $0.02 worth (even though i wasn't asked) then i'm gonna leave it alone........PINKYSNAILS, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, READ ON:

i do feel that some of you were coming off at pinkysnails as harsh and abrasive, and i don't think it had anything to do with the fact that she may or may not be trained as a nail tech.......i'm not trying to get anyone angry or upset with me for saying this, but i feel that for the most part we are all adults, and situations such as this should be handled accordingly.......yes, i read her posts, but she is not the only one i've seen come on this site and make ridiculous posts and ask ridiculous questions and make ridiculous comments......it's not necessarily that i found her posts ridiculous or dumb, but i did silently question as to how she made state board--then again, none of what she's asking is presented at state board, and all the training provided prior to state board does not include everything that involves nails......i went to school four years ago; learned to do gels and silk wraps and any other type of wrap there is to know but i don't do them: also learned to do nail art, but really wasn't interested in that type of service until i got a boost in clientele who was requesting it: got my license and everything--am i gonna be slammed for coming on here asking a question as to how wraps are done if for some God-forsaken reason nail wraps are requested? Lord, i hope not......nonetheless, i haven't read anyone slamming some of the comments or questions (obviously non-professional) made on some of these threads......none of us on this website or any other in the world knows EVERYTHING about nails, else we all wouldn't be logged on here excessively throughout any given time of day......i have posted some questions on here (simple and mundane to some apparently) that only 0.5% of the members have even so much as looked at and attempted to provide some help on, and so i'm inclined to think that some of you's got your noses in the air......so given what we all do know (and i do appreciate help from all my fellow nail techs), we should take heed to the following.......

this site should be restricted to professionals ONLY.....and i say this because there is some very intricate work that is displayed by some of the techs on this site (as well as other websites), and i'm sorry to say this, but some of the work on this site is basically someone toying with a relative's or friend's nails and trying to pass it off as "professionally done work"; those are the ones that i am so very tempted to tell to leave it to the professionals, because you can clearly see that the work is not professional, and God only knows what that person getting the nails done had to endure in order to get halfway decent-looking nails (argh)........most of the time, the work that is done by professionals does not only involve using chemicals: but not knowing how to use those chemicals and not knowing or being aware of the reactions that could result from misuse can be dangerous--we also have to use e-files and other stuff that we have paid to learn to use.......YES, PAID......do not attempt something that you are not at least 95% sure of......some simple nail art with paint and rhinestones, hell, my 5-year-old niece could do that, but we as nail techs know that there are standards and ethics to abide by, and for non-professionals to access this site and actually be able (just by reading how some certain technique is done) to MESS with someone's nails by practicing the latest "arts and styles" of nails is totally unacceptable.......doing nails is not just "doing nails": there is an art and a patience that goes along with being a nail tech, and most nail techs i know take pride in the work they do and they are able to bring that passion across to their clientele in a way that a non-professional person cannot......it not only involves talent but competency as well........that's why it should not be broadcast to non-professionals on how to properly use an e-file or how to properly mix ratios, etc........anybody is allowed to access this site and find out what the latest products being use are and certain techniques on how to apply and use them.......don't think they're not going to try it if they at least get the motivation and the tools to get started.......

that being said, i think the main reason some of you are offended and offensive is that you've paid for any and most (if not all) of your training......but keep in mind that there are some nail techs out there who can't afford year-round training, and the only way to keep up with some of the seasoned nail vets is to join hubs like this one, you know, for inspiration and such........as far as everything goes with pinkysnails, maybe she didn't get the proper training, to which i suggest, honey, please stop procrastinating with that part of your professional services......if you're inclined to use an e-file, get some training; e-files are to expedite the service--cut down on finishing time--not to EVER be used on the natural nail......there are classes that are available to help you choose which type of e-file is best for you, how to use one, and best of all, economically you get to choose which is best for you........

now, really, i didn't mean to come off as unprofessional or judgmental or anything of the like: i enjoy my job as a nail tech just as any of the rest of you do, and so if i may suggest (and it's just a suggestion) if you're not going to help someone out by offering constructive advice or pointing them in the right direction, stay out of it--i don't think this site should be used as a weapon to put others down.......so, yeah, i do think that from this experience here we should all agree that this website should be restricted to professionals only to keep things like this from becoming an issue.

this site should be restricted to professionals ONLY

i thought it was for profesionals?as indicated in the title of the salon geek the salon profesional

How do you know who is a professional - indeed what makes you a professional? I could say that I have an NVQ level 3 and how would you know if I have or haven't? You only have my word for it (and btw I don't!) This site is aimed at professionals, but we get amateurs too, and we guide them in the right direction. We even get clients who give us guidance and give us their perspective from the other side of the table.

That's why this site is so cool, because it makes those who are lacking in training realise how important it is, and usually they stand up and take notice and do something positive about it. In our own little way we are raising the bar within the industry. If it was Pro's only then how could we do this? If people are serious about what they do then they will go about it the right way, and they'll still be a tech in years to come. Those that play at it will no doubt get bored pretty quickly and find something other hobby ... or they get the bug and move on up to real training, and that's when we can help.

This was exactly my point on Pinky's other thread!

I am glad that for once I didn't shout my mouth off.

All she was wanting was some help/advice and I think some people have made themselves sound completely heartless.

Call me all you want for this but I feel sorry for the poor girl.

How do you know who is a professional - indeed what makes you a professional? I could say that I have an NVQ level 3 and how would you know if I have or haven't? You only have my word for it (and btw I don't!) This site is aimed at professionals, but we get amateurs too, and we guide them in the right direction. We even get clients who give us guidance and give us their perspective from the other side of the table.

That's why this site is so cool, because it makes those who are lacking in training realise how important it is, and usually they stand up and take notice and do something positive about it. In our own little way we are raising the bar within the industry. If it was Pro's only then how could we do this? If people are serious about what they do then they will go about it the right way, and they'll still be a tech in years to come. Those that play at it will no doubt get bored pretty quickly and find something other hobby ... or they get the bug and move on up to real training, and that's when we can help.
Yep Sassy I so agree with you on this one......
I remember in the very early geek days, way back in January 2003, we had one or two non pro geeks on here.... One mainly springs to mind ... Layla..aka Laystar... she was a non pro geek with a passion for nails and soaked up every bit of information that you threw or typed at her... her passion started with just painting funky nails and she knew her limitations and her safety threshold..... what happened to her, well she is one of the most talented Technicians you could ever meet, Competition Technician and working to wards her Masters now, what would have happened to this passionate geek if we would have said, sorry girl, this is a pro only site and go way, you are on your own????
It's not about Non Pro V Pro, its about education, those that want education, those that want to be the best Technician they could ever be, will take all the given advise on board use it as a springboard to dive into our world.....But then there are some that wont use it as a springboard, they just want to paddle in the shallow end for a while until something better comes along...They will see our help as condescending and know it all stuff.
But I rather spend my time advising and helping all, then missing one that could shine in years to come...because that would be a huge shame.
Advise and help will be given regardless, it is up to each and every individual, how they use it.
I am not against Non Pro's on this site, if they are serious and honest in their approach on this board, because these could be eventually someones star student tomorrow, but what I do not like is, when advise is given that some take offence when it is pointed out that "Education" is the way to go....

I don't often post comments here because I too, am worried that my words will be interpreted by someone differently as I meant them and I will get a verbal attack :irked: (and trust me ladies and gents I am critical enough of my own work without the need to be knocked down by someone who consideres that I should already know what I am asking about because they do)

People - Seriously:eek: Are we in school here?!?! I have been following this thread (and all the others as I am here everday several times a day!!) and the comments I see at the start are nothing short of bullying. Pinky asked for our help she clearly sees that she has problems with her techniques and is trying to approach professionals for help to correct herself and set herself straight. I don't care how anyone tries to justify it people have been cruel here and it isn't needed. If you are truly passionate about nails , which I believe that everyone who uses this site is whether amatuer or professional, then isn't the best way to help the nail industry to stamp out the nss salons and produce well trained competent nail techs, to educate them and steer them towards correct procedures.

I didn't post these comments to upset anyone - pls respect my opinion on this as I felt really really strongly I HAD to say something. Did any of you ever get bullied in school? Have any of your children experienced bullying? Then you will know that sick worried feeling you get in your stomach when it happens and well, thats the way I felt following this thread- it's not nice - don't make others feel it when you don't have to.

Life is hard enough - why are we making it harder:cry:

how do you weed out the non-professionals?

i have logged on to CND, OPI, and other nail sites around the WWW.......the point i'm trying to make is that when you have certain forums and information on sites like this, i.e., different acrylic systems, the way they're used, MSDS, etc......that information should only be restricted to people who are licensed or qualified to perform manicuring and pedicuring services to certify or deem them nail techs of a certain product.....i'm no dummy, i never said it was as simple as 1, 2, 3--but there is a way, somehow--of weeding the undesirables out......i don't know, but i do know that in order for me to get into any of the above-mentioned sites i have to have my manicuring license ID# available......so what there are people on the site learning trade secrets and techniques of some of the professionals......i was under the impression when i joined that it was a free community to "professionals".......i didn't realize actually that it was a free for all until i happened to come across a post one day about a lady who was a client at a salon and not a nail tech herself!.......and not to mention the posts from from a few of the members recommending that the site become a site for professionals only......just my thinking though, and we all are not required to have the same opinion; that's what makes the world go 'round.

Latest posts

Back