Hi I'm new and in search of answers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werewolfhair

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I hope i can get great advice because i'm a little lost about what to do right now.
I've been a hairdresser for only 1 year an a half now. I was working at a salon for over a year and got fired because my model didn't show up for a training session. While i was working there as an apprenticeship, all i did was clean. I felt like i was being ignored and wasn't improving at all. Now i'm searching for salons. And i'm wondering if i should work at regis where they don't do apprenticeship or should i still try going for a salon that does apprenticeship. I'm afraid that being an apprenticeship is not for me.

First of all are you qualified? Or are you an apprentice? If you're not qualified you'll need to either go to school and get your certificate or you'll need to get a job at a salon that has apprentices. You can't just work as a hairdresser with no qualifications.

If the op was qualified she wouldn't be asking if she should do an apprenticeship or the questions she is.....

Op there's a very similar thread on here recently perhaps have a browse see if it can help you :)

As far as training and feeling like your not getting anywhere, many people in your position feel this way too, even I did when I was training, I think when ur in a salon your so busy keeping everything ticking over smoothly you kind of feel a bit forgotten about, you get skills but arnt allowed to use them on the clients :/ from an owners view tho u need to understand if you were to make a mistake it could be costly and also the stylists wouldn't have anything to do while your doing their clients.

Could you perhaps look into finishing your training at a college instead? There is a downside to this tho because you won't have as much hands on varied experience as you do in the salon however when you do do clients in college every week, they are your client so it can sometimes work a little better, I haven't heared of the salon you mentioned but yes you could look into it :)

Cool I'll look into that thread. I live in a small city right for now which I'm not used to since I grew up in a big city, and I feel like there's not a lot of option to go into. And I heard that some people start off at Regis and learned a lot there and then they go to another salon. So that's why I'm wondering if Regis is a good salon to start off even though there's not an aprenticeship there.
And I guess your right about the owners part. I just felt like a was being ignored for a year and it sucked lol, and being fired because my model was late really sucked too lol
And yes I'm qualified. I have my license.

I didn't know they have training in collages.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back