Hi... I'm Tinxy and I'm one of the "horrid" one day coursers! :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone is asking for apologies - personally (as I can't speak for others!) what I am asking is that people don't judge without thinking. I have little/no respect for NVQs based on previous industries I have been in, it looks like it might be something mirrored in the beauty industry.

What I am TRYING to get across is instead of therapists bickering amongst ourselves all the time which is exactly what happens time and time again - why don't we try and be constructive!

Ok - we think day courses need to be better regulated? We think EVERYONE including NVQ qualified need to sit some sort of "capability" test?
Right... HOW can we practicably implement something like this? How can we try to get the backing of the industry and present a workable solution instead of constantly playing the "I'm better than you" game which gets us no-where other than creating a wider gulf between therapists when we should be working towards a common goal...

It is not a matter of being better than other therapists in a snobby sense but I am sorry but you do overall get better more rounded education if you do a longer course.

About 5 years ago I did a 5 day BT course (as a refresher for me) although it was offered as a course where you could take C&G as well if you did the modules at home.

The skin analysis was extremely poor and virtually non-existent. The waxing module never allowed for any of the students to complete a full treatment. In fact we did half an eyebrow each. One lady was using the course to become 'qualified' and was offering services from her home after she finished.

Please tell me how she got the guided practical experience? Do you think this is being a professional BT? My point is that unless you have completed a fuller course - how do you know that you have been missing out?

It is not to 'have a go' but just in reality sake, do you think this is enough?

As for your question, I agree better regulation needs to be implemented but one day courses no way unless you are already qualified to a set standard.

I think the main problem is that everyone passes! Surely there must be some people who are just not up to scratch.

My point about 2 days to set up a trolley, was to highlight that I personally felt that courses were being padded out to justify the time allocated for them (40 hours per unit), when the time could be spent more effectively and efficiently. I personally found my college course wasn't for me for various reasons, but it was enough to put me off going back.
But I have also been on the other end and been a customer having treatments by therapists who have all the qualifications and have had really poor service and seen some very dirty salons too. My point being is that it shouldn't always be about qualifications, but about eagerness, experience, willingness to always learn and providing a quality service which are things that can't always be taught.

I have read through all the threads and felt I had to comment as people are judging unfairly. I joined this site to get advice and help when needed and have recieved some great help and I am grateful for that...yet some of the opinions on this are making me think I should not be on this site as I did one day courses as previously said we are looked down upon (not by everyone :) ). I know I have put a lot of practice time and effort into being the best I can and I am still continuously learning so it is not just thinking we can do it just because we have a passion, it takes a lot more than that. I have a degree but would never dream of judging someone who didnt! Also, for those who think one day courses are so terrible, (not those who think they are good when already have a qualificatiomn) what do you do when a new treatment comes out that was not around when you went college? Just curious x

Too many to quote but...

Do I think that a course where all you do is half an eyebrow is enough for a waxing qual? Nope - absolutely not - but that doesn't mean that that course somewhere else isn't a LOT better... Same as an NVQ at one facility isn't MUCH better than at another... yet on paper it wouldn't differentiate would it? :)

And as for the "better than you" - that is how it constantly comes across on here - ranting about people with day courses muscling in and undercutting "real" therapists. How on earth can that be anything BUT stating that all one day'ers are bad, underqualified and shouldn't be allowed.
I'm not saying I left my course thinking I was good enough - I knew that I needed to practice and practice a LOT, and yes there are people who don't pass - there was 1 lady who was due to attend the course I was on as she hadn't been deemed as up to scratch so was not passed originally - she didn't turn up so don't know what the story was. It may just be that the facility I went to took pride in turning out students to as high a standard as possible... I think we all left with VERY little hair still attached, including our instructor who had any spare hair ripped off in the name of practice for us :)

I have no illusion that I am not as good as a lot of people on here at waxing or even massage despite my MANY case studies and so forth - because I simply haven't been doing it as long! As someone once said to me "You might be good, but you'll be 8 years better in 8 years time" (I'm paraphrasing) - and I think that holds true...
Regardless of where the qualification was obtained, those passionate about things will succeed and it offends me when people look down on what they have achieved.

Ultimately anyone still in the industry after a year must be doing something right or they wouldn't still have business after a few months - I have repeat customers so I know personally that I must be doing ok :) But constantly reading on here about ranting against how I got into beauty is demoralising and upsetting - but that never seems to occur to anyone. I'm immediately judged on 1 single aspect - not the whole package. Just like I was in the IT industry for being a woman, blonde and busty... there I was only in my position because I must have slept my way there... I couldn't POSSIBLY have gotten there through hard work, sweat and tears and the occasional blood!

Let's formulate a plan for improving the monitoring instead of always criticising each other? If we want to take away the "dim" image, let's stop telling others that "someone" needs to do something... DO IT! :)

I think the main problem is that everyone passes! Surely there must be some people who are just not up to scratch.

Completely agree!! Sadly money talks and passes equal money!!

The reason I put up about the daily deal advert I got today is because 50 people will attend this one day course, pass and think they can start there own business!! ( if you read the advert that's basically what its saying)

! Some one day people can put months of practice in and be amazing, but thats because they have pride in there work. But some will just do it thinking they can earn a quick buck. I've trade tested girls who have done their level 2/3 and I've wondered how they have managed to get dressed in the morning let alone perform a facial!

However, if I was given a bunch of CVS to look at in all honesty I doubt I would interview someone who had only attended short courses, as I believe its not just the practical side of things that need teaching, its the little extras like reception duties, customer cares, self evaluation and research skills etc, that also develop a good therapist.

I've done long and short courses- one of the peel courses I did lasted about 4 hrs and in all honesty I don't remember one bit!! And I have got to say I got a lot more out of the long courses! I can confidently deal with almost any issue, can advise clients and adjust treatments as needed. I don't think that can be taught in a few hours or days!! X

A lot does depend on the tutors as well. My local college is rubbish. I've had girls from my local college come and do work experience for a week or so. I would not employ any of them and I won't even have them at the salon now as they cause me more work!
One girl told me she had learned more from me about waxing in half an hour than she had on her college course. Not bad for someone who did a one day course!
This same girl saw a machine in the salon and asked what it was. I told her it was a microdermabrasion machine. Her reply 'Oh we are going to do that at college. Well they don't know if we will have time to cover it but it's included in the course' :eek:
I think the whole college syllabus needs an overhaul!

I'm sure you are excellent at what you do, and I know nothing about nails - being a massage therapist, my nails are short and haven't touched nail polish for nearly 20 years ;) From what you say you practiced hard to achieve the techniques, however, was that nor AFTER you officially qualified? All the one/two day/short massage courses I am aware of give the qualification certificate on the same day - no practice, no assessment, simply running through the routine. I'm not suggesting that it is necessary to take a year to do nails (I have no idea what a realistic time frame is), but can assure you that if you learn massage (proper massage not just a routine) you would not have time to get distracted or bored over a year - there is so much to learn, none of which can be learnt in a few days.

Some people will succeed regardless due to talent and extra hard work, but that is not the issue. All the research, practice, assessing outcomes etc. should come WHILE training so that, while we never stop learning (I am required to do CPD by my professional association), gaining a qualification is means that a certain professional standard has been met. As it stands now, many qualifications are nothing more than certificate of attendences.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not judging anyone, the fault lies with the industry and the training.

In your one day course you didn't learn if you could apply nails too pregnant women..... I sort of rest my case

In your one day course you didn't learn if you could apply nails too pregnant women..... I sort of rest my case

:confused: Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean??? I've never done any course on nails, one day or otherwise

Surely (assuming allege courses are of High standard- both short and long) its dependent on the person and practice practice practice :) neither is better both have pros and cons

I have just completed lv2 and one girl in particular on the course was awful, she failed every exam and had to sit through hours of retakes, twice! She has not once passed an assessment first, second or even third try! She is only 15-20% through the course, when at this stage she should be in the 90's!! But yet they are still working to pass her!!! And just to rub salt in the wounds she is going to get the exact same qualification as me!! I have also completed one day courses where all students revised a great deal before hand knew the answer to every question put to them and worked very hard during and after Ye course to become just as skilled as the next person, yes you get the first type of girl on any type of course, because of this I firmly believe its not the education setting, length or standard that is the issue, it's the standards you set for yourself! My standards are very high, I aim to be the best therapist in my area and I will be! People won't just me on either of my training choices they will judge me on the high quality of my work! The amount of effort I put into bettering my skills and the high standards I set for myself! Having said that I do believe that you should have to prove yourself before you do one day courses with no prior knowledge, that way it will weed out all the people out for a quick buck!

Thanks Jillybob, but my concern is that many of the experienced geeks who advocate that there's no way like the NVQ way! did their training 20 years ago!

Not read the rest of the thread yet, so apologies if this has already been said, but I feel that NVQ (Or equivalent) is the best way. I started my NVQ 10 years ago and I regularly teach other beauty lecturers, and I still feel I chose the right route for me.

Not to say 1 day courses are all a bad decision, because I've done several 1 day top up courses over the years that have been wonderful and contained so much information! But I feel for me, having the background underpinning knowledge I gained in the NVQ has been invaluable.

Good luck with your NVQ course, you get out what you put in!

I have been on a one day course with Carlton when the trainer refused to pass someone (quite rightly in my opinion) and the person had to go back after practising.

One day courses do have a place within this industry, of course they do - BUT only as a 'top up' once you have gained your basic knowledge, whether that be nails, beauty or holistics.

It is simply impossible to condense 1, 2 or 3 years of theory, practice and on-going assesment into one day! How do you gain the experience of having your work assessed with many different clients, with differing needs and concerns when you are in essence teaching yourself?

Of course you are always going to get some students who are willing to work hard, and do lots of research and learning in their own time and those who are not, that goes for both one day courses and longer ones. Likewise you will get good and bad tutors, good and bad courses, but this is where we need the industry to be working to set standards and regulated.

How that can be achieved is a whole other question, and not really what is being discussed here - people are taking critisisms of the courses personally, and really you shouldnt! It is the course/teaching that is being critisised not you!! :hug:

And Tinxy, quite why you are so defensive I dont quite get, as you have said yourself you had already done your underpinning learning prior to attending one day courses and as this is what is being advocated I dont understand your stand point tbh.

When I have interviewed for therapists in the past I have to say I simply would not consider someone who had not previously got some sort of foundation course under their belt, and like it or not theres an awful lot of employers out there who feel the same.

Last edited:

I did my course 5 years ago and to be completely honest have not had a pregnant client and so came on here to get advice... Which is now being thrown back in my face to make it seem like I know nothing and I'm not competent ... Think this proves the OPs point really...

They should have given you a contra list before the one day at least surely?

I am aware of changes in hormone levels and what not potentially affecting longevity of nail treatments all I wanted to know was if the fumes/vapours were harmful. In future I think I'll ask elsewhere, wasn't aware that old posts/ questions were used as ammo!

I thought this site was to help one another out not put each other down. xx

That's what I thought but obviously not :(

Sorry but I don't think I'm in the wrong here I was involved in a discussion and made completely relevant points, excuse me for defending myself when I'm being personally targeted! And I'm too busy running my own business thanks :)

Latest posts

Back