Hi... I'm Tinxy and I'm one of the "horrid" one day coursers! :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Answers to questions that will answer the question "How good a therapist am I?" :

Has my client left the salon feeling positive and fully satisfied with his/her treatment?
Am I happy with the work I did today?
Am I able to contribute to the salon's feel-good factor?
Do I make a profit?
Do I keep up-to-date?
Do I maintain a clean and safe environment?
Do I have real enthusiasm?
Do I get re-bookings?

If, in the main, the answer is yes, then the question "How did I get my qualifications?" is redundant.

Answers to questions that will answer the question "How good a therapist am I?" :

Has my client left the salon feeling positive and fully satisfied with his/her treatment?
Do I make a profit?
Do I keep up-to-date?
Do I get re-bookings?

If, in the main, the answer is yes, then the question "How did I get my qualifications?" is redundant.

:) well said :)

on a lighter note ladies......part of me not wanting to go back to college, was due to a lecturer who was pretty much a drunk. Came in each day stinking of stale booze, then after lunch fresh booze and the teaching was pretty much non existant. If it hadn't have been for another class coaching us on the subject after being begged for help, I would have stuggled with the course work. Not being one of the folk who just sits back and moans about something, I spoke to my head of year to be told to watch what I was saying as it could be seen as slanderous......oh but when said lecturer was accused of moonlighting elsewhere there was a huge investigation. So the whole college lecturing fratenity is very off putting to me :mad:

I think what everyone needs to do is have a big hug and agree to disagree and get back to giving advice and making people pretty :Love: x

I am aware of changes in hormone levels and what not potentially affecting longevity of nail treatments all I wanted to know was if the fumes/vapours were harmful. In future I think I'll ask elsewhere, wasn't aware that old posts/ questions were used as ammo!

I thought this site was to help one another out not put each other down. xx

Do I make a profit?
Do I keep up-to-date?
Do I get re-bookings?

I think at this point I'd like to quote what I said in my earlier post...

people are taking critisisms of the courses personally, and really you shouldnt! It is the course/teaching that is being critisised not you!! :hug:

No one wants anyone else to leave this site, we ARE here to support each other but we can still have a valid debate about the content of courses - please remember it is the courses being critisised, not the individual - its not your fault if the course didnt provide the full information that was needed.

Surely (assuming allege courses are of High standard- both short and long) its dependent on the person and practice practice practice :) neither is better both have pros and cons

Yes it is down to the person and what they put in after a one day course but I can't figure out why a short 1 day course would be better than longer training, personally I don't see any pros from a purely training angle and likewise any cons from a longer course?

I still wholeheartedly believe, as I said pages ago, that 1 day courses have their place for top up training or learning something new if you are already qualified but for many of the treatments we do across the board I just can't see 1 day being enough, so it goes back to the practice and further education that someone puts in to develop what has been taught and it has obviously been successful for some geek as we have read.

There will always be two camps on this and I doubt many will change thier belief on it.

Last edited:
There will always be two camps on this and I doubt many will change thier belief on it.

Respectfully, may I say I don't think there need be 2 camps.

Let's all work together to maintain a strong and well-respected industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not true. What we are saying is that you cannot learn an entire trade in one day. You cannot learn to do a facial in one day ( the product companies take a week to train my already qualified therapists just in their products)
You can't learn to do a massage ( other countries insist on 500 hours of training to become a massage therapist)
You cannot learn to be a hairdresser.

If you want to believe that you can learn these things in one day, then that is your opinion. Ranting that it's not fair that the salon owners who provide the jobs don't share your opinion is pointless.
We do the jobs already, we know what is involved, and what our clients expectations are.

If you don't want to listen to successful people who have reached where you want to be, then carry on ranting. It won't change anything.

WELL SAID, all we're doing is speaking from experience :applaud:

Respectfully, may I say I don't think there need be 2 camps.

Let's all work together to maintain a strong and well-respected industry.

Yes DP, that would be the ideal solution but I honestly can't see it until their is some more rigid regulation and they tighten up the training and licencing in the UK.

In the beauty industry, you can't even work mobile here full stop, you have to work from a licensed salon/spa and then of course you need those 240hrs training for skincare/260 hours training for nail tech/and at bare minimum, 500 hours for massage therapy before you get your own licence and insurance. Massage you can do mobile but nothing else. I believe the basic hair training is 1200hours.

So there are no problems whatsover with 1 day or short courses here and to me that speaks absolute volumes about what regulations and licencing can do for the business.

Last edited:
And Tinxy, quite why you are so defensive I dont quite get, as you have said yourself you had already done your underpinning learning prior to attending one day courses and as this is what is being advocated I dont understand your stand point tbh.

because technically I have done an underpinning knowledge course in a holistic branch, NOT in a beauty one. It wasn't an NVQ course which everyone professed was the be all and end all. In MY head I am a One Day Coursers... THAT is why I got upset.

It's fine that many are saying "don't take it as a criticism of you, it's the courses..." but the way those criticisms are worded MAKE them personal - I can absolutely understand people taking things very personal.
I am ALL for sharing our knowledge and experience - but it is ABSOLUTELY possible to do so in a polite, supportive and constructive manner - and my point is that this has been sadly lacking in some (not all) responses.

I'm used to working with words, I'd like to think I'm good at it too, maybe some of the aggression sparked on here has been down to purely poor wording, I hope so... But whatever happened to the "if you can't say something nice... "?
I'm not saying this thread is a nice fluffy cuddly one, but one trying to bring a controversial point across and possibly get some constructive ideas - so far on the whole there have been a few suggestions and a LOT of negativity. How about we try and park the "if you don't like it hoof it" attitude and genuinely try and think of solutions?

:Love:

Yes DP, that would be the ideal solution but I honestly can't see it until their is some more rigid regulation and they tighten up the training and licencing in the UK.

In the beauty industry, you can't even work mobile here full stop, you have to work from a licensed salon/spa and then of course you need those 240hrs training for skincare/260 hours training for nail tech/and at bare minimum, 500 hours for massage therapy before you get your own licence and insurance. Massage you can do mobile but nothing else. I believe the basic hair training is 1200hours.

So there are no problems whatsover with 1 day or short courses here and to me that speaks absolute volumes about what regulations and licencing can do for the business.

I find the US scenario deeply fascinating - if you don't have this issue in the US then what if any do you have? I'm sure there must be some? :) How are the courses structured? Are they at schools or are they mainly learning through apprenticeships?

because technically I have done an underpinning knowledge course in a holistic branch, NOT in a beauty one. It wasn't an NVQ course which everyone professed was the be all and end all. In MY head I am a One Day Coursers... THAT is why I got upset.

It's fine that many are saying "don't take it as a criticism of you, it's the courses..." but the way those criticisms are worded MAKE them personal - I can absolutely understand people taking things very personal.
I am ALL for sharing our knowledge and experience - but it is ABSOLUTELY possible to do so in a polite, supportive and constructive manner - and my point is that this has been sadly lacking in some (not all) responses.

I'm used to working with words, I'd like to think I'm good at it too, maybe some of the aggression sparked on here has been down to purely poor wording, I hope so... But whatever happened to the "if you can't say something nice... "?
I'm not saying this thread is a nice fluffy cuddly one, but one trying to bring a controversial point across and possibly get some constructive ideas - so far on the whole there have been a few suggestions and a LOT of negativity. How about we try and park the "if you don't like it hoof it" attitude and genuinely try and think of solutions?

:Love:

Seems to me like you have put yourself in a box and labelled it - no one else lol

As far as I personally am concerned, NVQ's are not the be-all and end-all, there are other options out there but it (a foundation level qualification) should still be a pre-requisite of doing a one day course - like you did, and myself and many others.

If other people have made personal comments or taken them personally, then that is unfortunate but it is a side effect of typing/reading on the internet and not in person.

We need a debate on the level of teaching in this country and the lack of regulation within this industry, by definition a debate means that not everyone will agree, but can we not do that without presumptions, threats to leave the site etc?

I have done day/short courses. I am confident in the training I received and the quality of treatments I produce. Whenever I see threads about 1 day'ers I don't take it personally, because the type of people the threads refer to aren't us on this forum who actually care about our clients and the service they receive. The people the threads refer to imo are people who do short courses as a quick way to making money, nothing more.

I only initially did the courses to gain knowledge of the industry as it happen I love the industry and have now opened a salon. I employ 2 bt's and I have decided that unless someone completely stands out, I wont be interested in candidates who have done day courses. I know thats how I started but I believe you learn much more on nvq's/ apprenticeships than you do on one day courses, my courses were fab 1:2:1 training but I still left knowing I had t practice and practice from what I've learned of nvq's etc they have done it over and over again before they qualify. There's so much more to working in a salon than the actual subjects themselves be it facials waxing, eye treatments - that's what I missed out on, I'm even tempted to go and do the level 3 at college this spet, but I'm thinking it might be a waste of my money - but definitely not my time.

I def agree this industry needs to be regulated, I have nowhere near the amount of industry experience think is needed to make suggestions on now to start, but the accreditation of courses def need to be looked at.

X

I find the US scenario deeply fascinating - if you don't have this issue in the US then what if any do you have? I'm sure there must be some? :) How are the courses structured? Are they at schools or are they mainly learning through apprenticeships?

The courses are run though accredited colleges/universities (massage) and it differs from state to state but it is the usual mixture of class room and practical work and then after a certain time you are let loose on Joe Public and have to carry out x type of each treatments before you meet the hours, if you are off sick you have to pay extra and catch up in your own time.

You can't work as an apprentice generally, so no on the job training whilst at college. You then sit your exams and can apply to the state for licencing, proving you have the credited course and hours under your belt. For massage you must then take a national exam (and it is bl**8dy hard) and then when successful you then apply to the health department for your licence. Then for all the trades you need a licence to operate in that county before you can even begin to look for work.

Oh don't get me wrong there are other issues and with all rules and regs some break them and work from home but when they are caught the consequences are severe and go from fines to losing your license.

Like Dawn (Persianista) mentioned in another thread I too have no problem reporting someone that is basically takings food out of mine and my therapists mouths by doing 'homers", and yes of course some of these people are probably not trained or insured. Unlicensed activity can carry jail time here.

So what else can go wrong, let me think.... some of the lecturers can leave a lot to be desired and although I don't necessarily agree with the those who can can and those who can't teach approach.

I generally see it from both sides of the pond as I am an expat living and working in Florida and if I am truthful I would rather work here in this regulated environment than in the UK.

Last edited:
Thanks Jacqueline,

I do appreciate it :) I doubt we can convince the UK government to put in place laws to imprison therapists who operate without the right training or insurance sadly - we can't even convince them to imprison rapists, robbers, thieves and so forth... at best I guess they might impose fines...

As someone familiar with both cultures do you have any suggestions on how it might be improved or implemented on this side?
I'm actually surprised at how strongly regulated the US is on this - I wonder why they are so far ahead of the game on this one?

I think you may be right Debs, it can be the land of look at me the wrong way and I will sue you.

To be honest Tinxy, the rules and regulations are there and enforced to protect the consumer rather than people in the industry which is why the fines etc. can be severe as they are seen as putting the public's health at risk.

I don't think it would be possible this late in the day to bring the same sort of regulations to UK but what I read about certain Boroughs etc. bringing in their own set of rules and regs that is a good start but the key is they need to be enforced.

It just occurred to me (as things tend to at 10pm lol) that it's probably easier to get a fully auto hand gun in the state of Florida than to become a beautician... :eek:

(I know about the hand guns as we have friends up in Pensicola lol - an English friends husband insisted she got a permit and a gun when they moved over there... she was not impressed! :) )

Sorry - off topic but just made me giggle quietly to myself... :)

It just occurred to me (as things tend to at 10pm lol) that it's probably easier to get a fully auto hand gun in the state of Florida than to become a beautician... :eek:

(I know about the hand guns as we have friends up in Pensicola lol - an English friends husband insisted she got a permit and a gun when they moved over there... she was not impressed! :) )

Sorry - off topic but just made me giggle quietly to myself... :)

You do need to do some training and get a permit but yes a lot easier to do that is for sure! Infact it would be a 1 dayer.......sorry couldn't resists:smack:

You do need to do some training and get a permit but yes a lot easier to do that is for sure! Infact it would be a 1 dayer.......sorry couldn't resists:smack:

Oh damn you! You just made me exhale sangria out my nose!!!! :Love:

*potters off to find some couch roll to mop up the laptop*

:hug:

Latest posts

Back