Hi, New Geek advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail/beauty

Reaction score
Hi, I am a GEEK who has been lurking around for the last few days:)

I am a qualifed natural nail (manicure) tech with OPI and I would like to use another brand for manicures. I also want to do a gel course.

I am having difficulty choosing a brand and was hoping for a bit of advice:confused:.

Could you also tell me is it best to get salon experience first and is it worth knowing what brands they know or is it best to rent a room.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am a GEEK who has been lurking around for the last few days:)

I am a qualifed natural nail (manicure) tech with OPI and I would like to use another brand for manicures. I also want to do a gel course.

I am having difficulty choosing a brand and was hoping for a bit of advice:confused:.

Could you also tell me is it best to get salon experience first and is it worth knowing what brands they know or is it best to rent a room.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are allot of questions here!! :)

First why not explain why you are having difficulty choosing a brand?
Is there a reason why you do not want to stick with OPI?
If so, what is it and what you are looking for?

There are allot of questions here!! :)

First why not explain why you are having difficulty choosing a brand?
Is there a reason why you do not want to stick with OPI?
If so, what is it and what you are looking for?

There are alot of different ranges available and I don't know which one to chose e.g Creative, Jessica etc.

I was happy with OPI until they changed their nail lacquer brushes to the new "Pro Wide" and changed the smell of the Avojuice and the cuticle oil and their products can be expensive.

I am looking for a brand that is only available from a salon and also affordable

Hiya!
I probably shouldnt be responding to this post because I am the nail tech that other nail techs shudder at the thought of. I mix my product lines. I use OPI, Creative, and Tammy Taylor. All during one service. (Not L&P) There are some products that I like better than the other so if I am to give my client the best, I need to mix.

The only to discover what you like is trial and error. Don't listen to advertisements of the product because they have to say their product is the best. You are on a good start here, getting everyones opinions on what they like. But listening to your clients on how they like that particular product is also a big help.

Now as for getting salon experience, of course that would be helpful. Any experience or oppurtunity is a learning experience. If you use their products, you can decide if you like the product or not with out having to purchase it. And just starting out, that is a big help. Well good luck in what ever you decide.

Hi there!!!

I will let the other geeks give advice...

but I just wanted to say hello...and welcome..and glad you have come out of the woodwork!!!

xxxxx :hug:

Hi there!!!

I will let the other geeks give advice...

but I just wanted to say hello...and welcome..and glad you have come out of the woodwork!!!

xxxxx :hug:

Thank you for the welcome.:)

Thank you for the replies :hug:

Could anyone recommend a gel system?

I have been looking at various salons who offer gel enhancements, should I use a brand that the salon I would like to work in uses?

Thank you for the replies :hug:

Could anyone recommend a gel system?

I have been looking at various salons who offer gel enhancements, should I use a brand that the salon I would like to work in uses?

I love Brisa Gels ... naturally. Never found a reason to swithch. It does all I want a gel product to do for me and the clients.

But what you use really depends ... It really depends on whether or not the salon will allow you to use 'your own brand' or if they want you to use theirs.

If you rent a chair then you can use your own products (It is essentially YOUR business) ... if you are employed, then the salon will require you to use the brand associated with that particular salon. Most salons will give you some training if you are changing brands.

I love the Creative Spa Manicure system, and it smells great too. I use the exfoliating crystals with the activator then put a plastic baggie over the hands and put the hands in hot mitts for five minutes or so. The finishing lotion is nice to for the massage portion. It smells great and is not greasy. :green:

I love Brisa Gels ... naturally. Never found a reason to swithch. It does all I want a gel product to do for me and the clients.

But what you use really depends ... It really depends on whether or not the salon will allow you to use 'your own brand' or if they want you to use theirs.

If you rent a chair then you can use your own products (It is essentially YOUR business) ... if you are employed, then the salon will require you to use the brand associated with that particular salon. Most salons will give you some training if you are changing brands.

Thank you Gigi, that has helped alot

I love the Creative Spa Manicure system, and it smells great too. I use the exfoliating crystals with the activator then put a plastic baggie over the hands and put the hands in hot mitts for five minutes or so. The finishing lotion is nice to for the massage portion. It smells great and is not greasy. :green:

I like the sound of the Creative Spa Manicure.

Could you please tell me where I could rent a chair?

Could you please tell me where I could rent a chair?
That's a case of having a look around local to you, salons and hairdressers are most likely to rent space also sunbed shops hth

Hi + welcome

You could give the salons in your area a ring around and see what's on offer. Are there any new hair dressing salons that maybe don't already offer nails? You could put the idea to them. You've got nothing to lose. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back