Hi! What are these white marks after Shellac removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiceHair

Reaction score
y9e3ebe5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like product residue. People often refer to it as being damage to the natural nail when oftenit is not damage but just that some product is still on the nail and not removed effectively - common if the client has particularly ridged nails x

Has the lady been using her solar oil?

Hi

To my knowledge this is dryness.

Solar oil required, and plenty of it. I would suggest she has not used it since appilcation looking at these.
x

Actually it is damage which is clearly noticable as the layers of her nail plate have been peeled off. It could be due to using a pusher to remove the said residue. If it was dryness then the solution would be to apply water or oil to rehydrate and the effect would be immediate. I bet you, those white marks won't disappear immediately though hence the damage. This is a scientific fact.
The matter of fact is, that no matter how gentle you push the remaining product off the nail plate there could be damage caused as the nail was exposed to a solvent (acetone and foils) and the solvent makes the nail more susceptible to damage because it has swollen and softened.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I think Biljana's comment is right on target.

Although I think there is some product residue (especially on the index finger) and dryness, I think most of this is damage - tiny layers of nail coming off in removal, that straight line across the ring finger especially. If you run your finger over the nail, you might be able to feel it. It also looks like it's damage done a while ago since it is from the middle of the nail to the free edge - very little closer to the eponychium. Her nails still look to be in pretty good shape and it's not terrible damage, but it is damage that can be avoided with more soaking, less pushing, and more Solar Oil.

Some of my clients are getting this and I know for a fact they are using their oil because they keep buying it off me! And the shellac just comes off in the wrap so no force used x

Thanks for your comments. I'm thinking it's damage. I have been gulity in the past of using the metal cuticle pusher after soaking in acteone/ cottonwool & foil but now I use the orangewood. Are there any other suggestions for causing less damage? X

It's lack of oxygen to the nail bed. Sometimes happens with just normal polish even with using base coat. It's nothing to worry about x

It's lack of oxygen to the nail bed. Sometimes happens with just normal polish even with using base coat. It's nothing to worry about x

Err oxygen is supplied to the nail bed via the blood stream - wearing any type of polish on top of the nail plate does not diminish this.

Plenty of solar oil..make sure acetone isn't on the nail for to long when in foil...when I get clients that develop white marks sometimes I tell then to double up on oil and use morning & night and by the following appointment they have gone after plenty of oil.

This is what Shellac removal should look like and if using genuine Shellac and following all the CND rules learned in CND training; then even after a year of constant wearing and removal of Shellac (like these clients have been doing) then 99% of Shellac devotees will have beautiful healthy looking nails as seen in these two photographs.

If the nails look dry, and you have been carefully following all the rules then your client may be one who suffers from excessive dryness anyway and she will be the perfect candidate for IBX which will repair the damage and will stop further dehydration of an already dry or damaged nail plate.

These are real clients that are regularly serviced in a CND Shellac approved Salon. Just shows how good things can be when people do things the right way.

Credit goes to Emily at Tip Toe Nails for the photographs.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Thanks Geeg. I have trained with CND & use all their products (tho I use the cotton pads/ acetone & foil method of removal). I put the pads of for around 10mins and use an orangewood stick once it has flaked/ bubbled up. This client does have peely nails anyway, dry skin & is very ridgy. (She also suffers from COPD). She does use solar oil but admits that she hasn't used it much lately. X

Also, what is the difference between IBX & Brisa Lite? X

Thank you! You're a star! X

Oh great! How much do you charge for it? & is training required? X

Hi sorry to jump on but what would people advise to use to remove any residue- are orange sticks the most effective and kindest? Or can you use metal ones so long as gentle?

Thank you x

Hi sorry to jump on but what would people advise to use to remove any residue- are orange sticks the most effective and kindest? Or can you use metal ones so long as gentle?

Thank you x
Don't use either of those implements. Just take a pad dampened with remover and gently scrub the nail plate to soften and remove the last few bits if any are still clinging ... That is all it takes.

Latest posts

Back