High Lift on prelightened/bleached hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hariibo

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a client who has gradually gone from a wella kp 66/45 with /65 special mix (that she had for around a year) to a blonde. This required 2 x colour removers, a bleach bath then bleach with 12%, toned with wella illumina 10/69 and a good cut!

We are both keen not to use a bleach for regrowth so I used illumina 10/69 and 12% on roots for max. lift as she is a base 6/ no white and her hair is naturally ashy, then toned all over afterwards with 9/60 and pastel.

However, her roots are still quite warm. I would say maybe a 10/03 even though the illumina is blue based and had max development time under heat.

I am thinking of trying a high lift (koleston special blonde) 12/81 but am unsure of whether this is okay to use on hair with bleach on mids and ends and a tint on the root (albeit a very light colour). I have always been under the impression these are meant for virgin hair although rules can be bent slightly when your starting shade is 7/ and up??? I have never toned with any of the 12/ range either as i was taught to use 9/ and 10/ range. Was going to tone with colour touch 8/81 if need be?

HELP and ADVICE on using high lift ranges on non-virgin hair please!!

Thanks in advance xx

Last edited:
There's just no need to do it, 12 colours are designed to lift 4-5 levels, what you need to do is tone with a violet shade - maybe 10/16 in color touch?

Next time use the highlift on the virgin regrowth.

There's just no need to do it, 12 colours are designed to lift 4-5 levels, what you need to do is tone with a violet shade - maybe 10/16 in color touch?

Next time use the highlift on the virgin regrowth.
Hi ColourGirly, thanks for your reply :)

I did tone with 9/60 and no joy. She said she tried a loreal dialight 10/12 on it herself also and still the colour is quite warm.

I'm at a bit of a loss as toners are not helping so far :|

xxx

If the roots are 10/03 then I wouldn't see an issue toning with either a 9 or 10.

Have you tried koleston and pastel ?- there's more pigment in these toners this way so you may get a stronger result.

no i haven't tried toning with kp and pastel, only illumina and pastel so far with not much success.

She keeps saying she wants to be a 'pearl beige' colour which in my eyes is a slightly pinky ash, maybe a 9/61... not sure that even exists lol?!

xxx

I'm base 6. I use 12/81 30ml and 5 ml /81 And comes out creamy not brassy.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392565160.414491.jpg
This is my root area and been done probably week or 2, so it would be a tad brighter on fresh application x

Great help thanks snaz.

Hadn't thought of adding mixer tones *slaps head* duh!!

How do you refresh your ends when you have your regrowth done?

Have zero experience with toning using 12/ as thought you couldn't due to their lifting properties. Infact I have much less experience with hight lifts than I would like as in my experience even the cooler ones tend to go a little brassy :|

xxx

12 shouldn't be used for toning the are designed for controlling warmth when lifting, I struggled with wella blondes, I use goldwell now and much prefer them.

Great help thanks snaz.

Hadn't thought of adding mixer tones *slaps head* duh!!

How do you refresh your ends when you have your regrowth done?

Have zero experience with toning using 12/ as thought you couldn't due to their lifting properties. Infact I have much less experience with hight lifts than I would like as in my experience even the cooler ones tend to go a little brassy :|

xxx

I use illumina mixed at a toner with pastel or any 10/ line in koleston or colourtouch. I never gone with 12 series. sometimes to refresh ends. Or when it's developed, I wet at basin and emulsify leave for a few mins.

Purple shampoo good to retail x

View attachment 56463
This is my root area and been done probably week or 2, so it would be a tad brighter on fresh application x

Sorry just jumping in here to comment on this colour - it looks lovely! I can't believe it's a highlift on a base 6! Wow

Hi all

I have a client who has gradually gone from a wella kp 66/45 with /65 special mix (that she had for around a year) to a blonde. This required 2 x colour removers, a bleach bath then bleach with 12%, toned with wella illumina 10/69 and a good cut!

We are both keen not to use a bleach for regrowth so I used illumina 10/69 and 12% on roots for max. lift as she is a base 6/ no white and her hair is naturally ashy, then toned all over afterwards with 9/60 and pastel.

However, her roots are still quite warm. I would say maybe a 10/03 even though the illumina is blue based and had max development time under heat.

I am thinking of trying a high lift (koleston special blonde) 12/81 but am unsure of whether this is okay to use on hair with bleach on mids and ends and a tint on the root (albeit a very light colour). I have always been under the impression these are meant for virgin hair although rules can be bent slightly when your starting shade is 7/ and up??? I have never toned with any of the 12/ range either as i was taught to use 9/ and 10/ range. Was going to tone with colour touch 8/81 if need be?

HELP and ADVICE on using high lift ranges on non-virgin hair please!!

Thanks in advance xx

Wow I can not believe she had any hair left after this :eek:

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Love you hair is that only highlift..No highlights as well?

Yes no highlights. Taught my partner to do root application. Wouldn't trust him with foils lol xx

I would do tone with colour touch 10/6 on the warm hair, then a 10/03 on the ends and next time u do her regrowth I would do 12/81 and 12%

Latest posts

Back