High lift tint on base of 4

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Andersen

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi,
My niece has asked me to do some highlights or balayage for her. She has virgin hair that's around a base of 4 and past shoulder length.
I'm not keen on using bleach and she doesn't want it really light blonde anyway.
I was wondering if I used a mix of hightlift tints, I could get it lifted to a dark gold?
I was thinking of using 12 with a mix of blue, violet and maybe green to cool the warmth?
Can anyone give any advice on this or recommend anything?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
My niece has asked me to do some highlights or balayage for her. She has virgin hair that's around a base of 4 and past shoulder length.
I'm not keen on using bleach and she doesn't want it really light blonde anyway.
I was wondering if I used a mix of hightlift tints, I could get it lifted to a dark gold?
I was thinking of using 12 with a mix of blue, violet and maybe green to cool the warmth?
Can anyone give any advice on this or recommend anything?
Thanks in advance.
If you used a Highlift with 12% you would achieve 4 levels of lift, 5 if you're lucky. So yes you should be able to achieve a golden level 8. Be prepared to still have to tone it though.

Thanks Ronray.
I should tone afterwards too?
Any recommendations?

Thanks Ronray.
I should tone afterwards too?
Any recommendations?
No you don't have to, but it's unlikely that a Highlift tint will have enough tone is it, to counteract the tones found when lifting from a base 4. You may get lucky and it will be as expected. But you may have to use something like an 8/81 colour touch over it to subdue some of the or age tones of it doesn't lift past a 7.

8/81, that's primarily a blue tone, right?

Just wondering why you want to use a highlift with 12% instead of bleach and 6%?

Just wondering why you want to use a highlift with 12% instead of bleach and 6%?
I get nervous with bleach, as I worry its lifted too much where i started the application by the time i get to the end. Also, the client doesn't want a light blond result, so I thought the bleach would lift it more than i needed it to?
I welcome any advice though.
Thanks

Just use a lower percentage developer then it will lift much more slowly.
To be honest, if you’re not confident with using bleach, what are your balayage skills like?
It’s very different to foiling weave highlights.

Just use a lower percentage developer then it will lift much more slowly.
To be honest, if you’re not confident with using bleach, what are your balayage skills like?
It’s very different to foiling weave highlights.
Yeah I'm ok, with balayage. I prefer to do the back coming method. I find I get better results that way.
It's not that I'm not confident with bleach, it's more that I thought the high lift tint would give enough lift for what I need?

Yeah I'm ok, with balayage. I prefer to do the back coming method. I find I get better results that way.
It's not that I'm not confident with bleach, it's more that I thought the high lift tint would give enough lift for what I need?
For open air processing I'd probably go with bleach too. For highlights the Highlift would work fine, but highlift never seems to do as well when open air processing.

Ok thanks.
She's now given me a picture of the colour she's hoping to achieve. If I did bleach the hair, can you give any advice on toning shades to get this kind of result?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200128-215000_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200128-215000_Messenger.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 64
Ok thanks.
She's now given me a picture of the colour she's hoping to achieve. If I did bleach the hair, can you give any advice on toning shades to get this kind of result?
To achieve this I'd definitely bleach it up to a level 8. Then tone with 1part 8/71+ 2parts 8/38 + 1.9%.
If you don't lift to an 8 then obviously the toning formula will need to change.

To achieve this I'd definitely bleach it up to a level 8. Then tone with 1part 8/71+ 2parts 8/38 + 1.9%.
If you don't lift to an 8 then obviously the toning formula will need to change.
Thanks Ronray, you've been a really big help.

Can I just ask about the toning process. .....is it best to apply the toner after just rinsing the bleach out and towel drying, or do you shampoo the bleach out first??
Thanks

Can I just ask about the toning process. .....is it best to apply the toner after just rinsing the bleach out and towel drying, or do you shampoo the bleach out first??
Thanks
I always shampoo the bleach out, then towel dry and tone.

Hi, so it worked out well. We decided on a standard highlighted T bar. I used Blondme bleach and 20vol developer for 45mins then toned with the mix suggested by Ronray - Wella Colour Touch 1part 8/71+ 2parts 8/38 + 1.9%, happy with the results, as is my niece. Thanks for all help and advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-124902_Messenger_compress60.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-124902_Messenger_compress60.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20200209-160158_Messenger_compress93.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-160158_Messenger_compress93.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 98
You did a great job. Well done for for being brave and using bleach instead of a highlift tint. Your results are perfect. :)

Hi, so it worked out well. We decided on a standard highlighted T bar. I used Blondme bleach and 20vol developer for 45mins then toned with the mix suggested by Ronray - Wella Colour Touch 1part 8/71+ 2parts 8/38 + 1.9%, happy with the results, as is my niece. Thanks for all help and advice.
It's looks great!

You did a great job. Well done for for being brave and using bleach instead of a highlift tint. Your results are perfect. :)
Appreciated thanks!

Latest posts

Back