High Lifts - Wella

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylight

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie, just trying to get my head around the finer decisions about what tone to use for a high lift. My friend wants me to do her roots, she's a warm level 7, wants a natural looking light blonde, she says that at her last salon they used 12/1 but it still turned out quite ginger at the roots. I'm wondering about 12/11, but also isn't it blue that counteracts orange? Therefore I was thinking 12/8 could be better but at college they always said /1 or /11 to get rid of warmth. Could anyone explain the distinction for me, when would you decide to use a 12/8 rather than a 12/1 or 12/11? Thanks, I want to get it right for her! Sky

Hi I was taught that blue (/8_) neutralises copper and ash (/1) only softens it. Maybe try a 12/81 or 12/89. Hope this helps abit.

My own experience my hair is around a 6ish with some warmth... i use 12/89 but am finding that it not going pale enough any more for some reason, i have tried 12/11 and found it went too greyish, i am about to try 12/81 over next couple of days.

Thanks both, let me know if you have any luck with 12/81. A girl on my course used 12/89 on her hair, went quite white but i don't think she had as much warmth to start with. I'm not looking for white as much as to get rid of the glow at the roots and get a nice tone. Keep hearing it's a constant problem with high lifts but that's what she wants so i want to start with the best possible option. She is pretty sure she used to have 12/1 and it was fine. Maybe they've changed the formula?? Sky

Hi daft question but are you using the wella peroxide with the tint? It doesn't work as well with cheaper peroxide. Blue does neutralise orange just ensure you don't get the tint on the pre lightened hair as the hair will go blue xx

heyyy, how gingery is it? if its like pretty warm id just go in with 12/81 but if its quite a nice colour just with the slight hint of ginger then do 12/1 + 12/81 equal parts with 12% and leave on for full development :)

Yes i will be using Wella peroxide 12%, not sure what they used at her salon though. Maybe that's why it didn't lift so well. It is quite ginger but beyond that it's quite light so i'll be very careful not to get the blue or grey on the light hair.
What kind of different tones will the two different colours produce? Will 12/81 take it whiter than the 12/1? I don't want to take it too white, just get a clean light blonde. Thanks for advice! Sky

I have 12/81 on at the moment, ive had 12/1, 12/11, 12/89 and for me the best was 12/81. The ash shades left my hair darker. The 12/89 my hair was brighter but yellow.
12/81 does neutralize my yellow/gold tones but it's not bright blonde.

Thanks Snaz that's really helpful. What's your own base colour, and do you have a lot of warmth in it? She likes bright so maybe the 12/89, I think she could cope with a little yellow as long as it's not orange.She doesn't want to go darker so maybe not the ash shades. Sky

My own base will be a 7/8. I would say I have a lot of warmth, hence trying all the high lift blondes.

My hair after 3 weeks tends to go brassy so I colour it every 3-4 weeks, roots only. Just started to use a blue/voilet shampoo which is ok for now until we have the sun!! Will upload picture of my hair tomorrow so you can see shade. Just washed it and I can't be bothered to dry it so it's frizzy a moment lol!?!

It looks quite blonde on ends roots not has bright but blends in well.

My own base will be a 7/8. I would say I have a lot of warmth, hence trying all the high lift blondes.

My hair after 3 weeks tends to go brassy so I colour it every 3-4 weeks, roots only. Just started to use a blue/voilet shampoo which is ok for now until we have the sun!! Will upload picture of my hair tomorrow so you can see shade. Just washed it and I can't be bothered to dry it so it's frizzy a moment lol!?!

It looks quite blonde on ends roots not has bright but blends in well.

You tried 12/96 ?

Thanks :biggrin: look forward to seeing pic, not doing her colour til next weekend so still got time to um some more. As you have a similar level and lots of warmth also it should give me a good idea of how hers would turn out. Sky

Just tried 12/96!!! It's a NO NO my roots are glowing!!! look quite brassy.
Sat with a toner on 10/8 mixed with 10/1. Think I'll stick with 12/81, may put a blob on 12/16 in for next experiment! Anyone tried it!!

hi Snaz,i'm roughly the same as yourself,around a base 7 with a lot of warmth and have been getting 12/11, since anything else always came up glowy (haha i love that,much better than ginger!) but I found it too dark.just had 12/81 and 12/89,came up nice blonde,not too warm

Latest posts

Back