Highlight and tint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodywoodside

Reaction score
This is something I very rarely do but I have a client that needs her grey covered and would like some highlights and the same time. I would just like to know how you do it. On normal colored hair I foil and then I tint in between however this client is 100% white so just wondering should I color and then foil so that I can then lift out some pigment but leave some remaining.

To be honest its not something I come across to often so just wanted your thoughts, I will be using a Keune 8.00 plus for the tint.
Thank you

No, use a light blonde tint in the foils, so you add some blonde tone to the hair, then flood between with the normal base colour.

Some people do the color first for better coverage of gray. Its also easier but a bit more time consuming. I personally usually flood with foils in but I really make sure to have it all covered. This can be messy and wrong if you havent practiced.

No, use a light blonde tint in the foils, so you add some blonde tone to the hair, then flood between with the normal base colour.
How do I use light blonde tint for the foils its the whitest hair I have ever seen. I have always been told that 9plus is the absolute lightest you can achieve but if you know different please share.
Thanks

This is something I very rarely do but I have a client that needs her grey covered and would like some highlights and the same time. I would just like to know how you do it. On normal colored hair I foil and then I tint in between however this client is 100% white so just wondering should I color and then foil so that I can then lift out some pigment but leave some remaining.

To be honest its not something I come across to often so just wanted your thoughts, I will be using a Keune 8.00 plus for the tint.
Thank you

First you said she was grey, you want to darken it, the hl it to lift your darker tint out.
I suggested a blonde tint in the foils then flood the rest with the darker tint. Now you say she's white, and tint only goes up to a nine???

I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve with this hair. Perhaps you could clarify the situation for me.

Some people do the color first for better coverage of gray. Its also easier but a bit more time consuming. I personally usually flood with foils in but I really make sure to have it all covered. This can be messy and wrong if you havent practiced.

I do this to, however I have never in years seen hair this white and of course she wants to be a beautiful blonde, No matter how much training you get you forget when its something you just never see. what I don't want is any sort of a demarcation line I normally do VS lockfoil highlights so they are very tight to the scalp. what would you suggest I use as a hightlight colour .
Using Keune

How do I use light blonde tint for the foils its the whitest hair I have ever seen. I have always been told that 9plus is the absolute lightest you can achieve but if you know different please share.
Thanks

Sorry, but I don't understand your confusion. Persianista advised a blonde tint in the foils not bleach.

Therefore, you could use a level 8 or 9 with some gold for warmth to give the white hair some depth of colour.

Then flood between the foils with a lower base.

I dont use your brand, but if i were using mine- koleston perfect id use 99/0 plus gold mixtone with 20 in foils. Then an all over colour (inbetween foils) 88/0 x

I dont use your brand, but if i were using mine- koleston perfect id use 99/0 plus gold mixtone with 20 in foils. Then an all over colour (inbetween foils) 88/0 x

Ok this is similar to what I had planned to use. A 9.3 (level 9 with gold tone) or a 9 plus which is for grey/white coverage.
Thanks this is really helpful.

First you said she was grey, you want to darken it, the hl it to lift your darker tint out.
I suggested a blonde tint in the foils then flood the rest with the darker tint. Now you say she's white, and tint only goes up to a nine???

I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve with this hair. Perhaps you could clarify the situation for me.

Ok can I just clarify. At no point did I say she wanted to darken it. I said she was grey she is to be clear 100% grey no salt or pepper and she wants to color the grey out and add highlights. I never at any point said tint only goes up to 9, but from I have been taught you will only get coverage of 100% grey with level 9 or lower due to the amount of pigment that needs to be deposited using 20 vol any level above 9 will not color and will have no effect. Sorry I cant even find where bleach was mentioned in the conversation. But I do understand that low level peroxide used with bleach on white hair will give a very subtle yellow effect. I hope this helps clears up the confusion

Is the clients hair already coloured? If so you will have to do your highlights by applying your tint on the roots and bleach on mid lengths and ends.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Blimey I'm confused too! I think what you're saying is that this particular client has virgin white hair? Then you have asked if you should apply a global tint in perhaps a base 8, rinse and then use foils? Is that correct?
If you did this then yes tint will not lift tint and you would then need to use a mild bleach to lift it. I would personally foil with a level 9 ( yes you are correct in thinking a 9 is the lightest base to guarantee 100% white coverage, although a higher base would give you a slightly blended look ) then flood with a 7 or 8 and I would also use a gold tone in both foils and global. You are depositing colour so a 3% may be enough unless the hair is strong and resistant?

Hmmm re reading your reply.....you say she doesn't want to darken it?? If she's grey or white surely you are darkening? You still need to clarify what base she is regardless of her being grey, she could be a level 6 dark grey or a level 10 light grey / white

Blimey I'm confused too! I think what you're saying is that this particular client has virgin white hair? Then you have asked if you should apply a global tint in perhaps a base 8, rinse and then use foils? Is that correct?
If you did this then yes tint will not lift tint and you would then need to use a mild bleach to lift it. I would personally foil with a level 9 ( yes you are correct in thinking a 9 is the lightest base to guarantee 100% white coverage, although a higher base would give you a slightly blended look ) then flood with a 7 or 8 and I would also use a gold tone in both foils and global. You are depositing colour so a 3% may be enough unless the hair is strong and resistant?

sorry for any confusion, yes she has a slight yellow on the ends but nothing to worry about it is right at the ends and will be gone once trimmed. Thank you for confirming what I knew really about levels and coverage its just that I do this so rarely I have always had a colorist working with me and now suddenly I don't. here in Canada everyone has to do there own coloring and yes I know the theory but just wanted it confirmed that I am doing the right thing in the right way. I am going with a level 8.00 plus to flood and a level 9.00plus for highlights. Thank you

Possibly add some tone to the 8.00 or 9.00 it may look a little flat. As for peroxide strength follow manufacturers instructions I use schartzkopf and they always suggest 9% with their grey cover range xx

Ok can I just clarify. At no point did I say she wanted to darken it. I said she was grey she is to be clear 100% grey no salt or pepper and she wants to color the grey out and add highlights. I never at any point said tint only goes up to 9, but from I have been taught you will only get coverage of 100% grey with level 9 or lower due to the amount of pigment that needs to be deposited using 20 vol any level above 9 will not color and will have no effect. Sorry I cant even find where bleach was mentioned in the conversation. But I do understand that low level peroxide used with bleach on white hair will give a very subtle yellow effect. I hope this helps clears up the confusion

If she is 100% white then you can't take it lighter you are adding tone therefore you are darkening.
Have you ever tried inoa Supreme? They have tints up to 10 which cover up to 100% white hair.
I would do a full head of foils, loads of them using 10.13, and 8.3. I would then flood with something on the 9 line.
This will create a stunning, multi tonal blonde

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

You can do it either way, personally I would do highlights (so to speak) with around a 9 in the grey range you use, and then flood with a 7/8, if its 100% grey and you're going for no lighter than a 9 I'd do it that way save colouring, lightning then toning.

If you were after bleached blonde 10/11 effect, you would need to darken all with your base tone (7/8) then lift back out with bleach and tone to finish.

Bleach with low vol would give slight yellow tinge but wouldn't stay a nice colour as white hair has no tonal value (I'm guessing you know this, that's more for people reading the thread that may not in future) so you need to add it, bleaching no tone out means youre bleaching just the hair itself which to me is damaging the hair for no real reason. Xx

Possibly add some tone to the 8.00 or 9.00 it may look a little flat. As for peroxide strength follow manufacturers instructions I use schartzkopf and they always suggest 9% with their grey cover range xx

A 9.00plus has added gold to cover grey so I have that covered.

Ok I did my client yesterday don't know why I panicked so much, heres what I did.

9.00plus (formulated for grey hair) Keune + 20 vol covered beautifully
washed dried and then did some foils with a high lift tint Keune.

Turned out absolutely beautiful. completely natural looking blonde with blonder highlights.

Thanks guys so much xxxxx

I thought tint couldn’t lift tint out? I’m confused!

Latest posts

Back