Highlight/lowlight advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Andersen

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a client who is a base of approx. 4. Currently T bar highlighted and toned with Colour Touch. I am looking at changing to full head using the airtouch technique. I am also thinking about trying Redken shades EQ for toning, as I like the look of them, especially the VG range. I have a few of questions: 1) I will probably look to lowlight the sections that are 'blown out' from the previously highlighted sections. What would be best for this? Is it best to use a demi permanent shade, or would I need to go permanent? I would assume I will need to use a warm shade on the lightened hair. 2) How do you deal with hair that is already lightened within the sections - it it simply a case of avoiding putting lightener on these already light sections (worried about overprocessing) 3) Has anyone used Shades EQ and give any advice or recommend shades.
Many thanks

I would use a semi to lowlight between the airtouch sections because this is on prelightened hair. Choose a colour close to her natural to tone it down as this will make it more seamless and softer.

I would try not to overlap the already lightened sections to avoid over processing, I would just colour the bits that's need it and if I need to lighten some of the already lightened pieces I would have a weaker solution of lightener apply. And always with olaplex

Shades eq is lovely its gives a beautiful shine and feel. Its alot more sheer than colour touch. With it being acidic it really closes the cuticle. You definitely get a better result if it is applied to dry hair. It is also recommended to apply to dry hair.

Have a look at @danilo.bozic on insta. One of his reels or IGTV shows how he lowlights between sections.

I agree with everything @Piercednige said. Shades EQ is a fantastic product, I wish I was able to use it more.

For the lowlights I would go in with a level 5 demi with some gold added in. You'd probably only need to add the 'lowlights' to the highlighted t-section area to remove the foil lines. I'd only blend them down to the mid-lengths, in order to create the negative space that you would normally be creating by blowing out the hair on the natural areas.

For the highlights you only want to apply to the areas that need lightening, however if you feel like the ends need brightening you could open up the foils and reapply lightener to the ends for the last 15 mins or so, or when removing the foils run the lightener though the ends. You wouldn't want to do this every time, but you'd have to use your judgement whether it's needed.

I would use a semi to lowlight between the airtouch sections because this is on prelightened hair. Choose a colour close to her natural to tone it down as this will make it more seamless and softer.

I would try not to overlap the already lightened sections to avoid over processing, I would just colour the bits that's need it and if I need to lighten some of the already lightened pieces I would have a weaker solution of lightener apply. And always with olaplex

Shades eq is lovely its gives a beautiful shine and feel. Its alot more sheer than colour touch. With it being acidic it really closes the cuticle. You definitely get a better result if it is applied to dry hair. It is also recommended to apply to dry hair.

Have a look at @danilo.bozic on insta. One of his reels or IGTV shows how he lowlights between sections.
Thanks for this. Yes, I use Olaplex with every colour I do, swear by it.

I agree with everything @Piercednige said. Shades EQ is a fantastic product, I wish I was able to use it more.

For the lowlights I would go in with a level 5 demi with some gold added in. You'd probably only need to add the 'lowlights' to the highlighted t-section area to remove the foil lines. I'd only blend them down to the mid-lengths, in order to create the negative space that you would normally be creating by blowing out the hair on the natural areas.

For the highlights you only want to apply to the areas that need lightening, however if you feel like the ends need brightening you could open up the foils and reapply lightener to the ends for the last 15 mins or so, or when removing the foils run the lightener though the ends. You wouldn't want to do this every time, but you'd have to use your judgement whether it's needed.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

I'll have a look at that also, thanks for the tip 👍

Latest posts

Back