Highlight tint on virgin roots when mids/ends are bleached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly2009xxxx

Reaction score
Can I ask some advice please . When somebody has a regrowth and bleach highlights on mids/ends and decides this time they want high lift tint what would I do please ? Because of the regrowth you would use the 12% with the highlift tint but if I went over the bleached part with the 12% that’s not going to be very good for the clients hair is it so would I have to have a bowl with 12% in for roots and and 3% in for the bleached part to make the top match the ends Xx

You'd never apply highlift tint over bleached hair with any strength developer under any circumstances.

If you're dead set on highlift make apply only to the point of demarcation as overlapping on the bleached hair will cause unnecessary damage bit most importantly result in a purple, blue or grey band. Once you've processed the highlift you can tone it all to match.

Can I ask some advice please . When somebody has a regrowth and bleach highlights on mids/ends and decides this time they want high lift tint what would I do please ? Because of the regrowth you would use the 12% with the highlift tint but if I went over the bleached part with the 12% that’s not going to be very good for the clients hair is it so would I have to have a bowl with 12% in for roots and and 3% in for the bleached part to make the top match the ends Xx
Apply your root tint, then go through the hair as if you were highlighting and weave out any darker reas and apply the Highlift. This is the safest way around it.

During consultations, you need to steer your client towards what colour they want to achieve.
The choice of how to get there, i.e. whether to use bleach or highlift tint should always be down to the colourist.

I always colour using at least 2 tints mixed together and don’t tell them the formula so the client can’t just say I want 8/3. I will explain why I’m using bleach first, if required, and explain to clients why using a weaker strength developer is better for their hair than say a highlift with 12%.

You’re the professional and it’s up to you to stay in charge of the process. Remind the client that they’re paying you for your trained expertise, not just to apply a ready mixed colour to their hair.

Thank you so much. It’s hard sometimes putting my point across as you would know they can be quite stubborn lol. Only reason I said this is because my old hair dresser uses highlift tint with 3% as a toner

Only reason I said this is because my old hair dresser uses highlift tint with 3% as a toner

Wow, really, that’s bonkers! o_O Clearly your old hairdresser isn’t very knowledgeable about colouring. :confused:

She said because with 3% it literally just deposits the tone and that’s all . I’m still training so didn’t know any different

She said because with 3% it literally just deposits the tone and that’s all . I’m still training so didn’t know any different
She's wrong, the higher content of ammonia in highlift just fries the hair and it overtones because highlift has extra tone due to it needing to lift through a lot of warmth.

Thank you for that. Glad I know now

Latest posts

Back