Highlights gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
So I have been getting highlights for years (bleach) with a silver toner. I get a full head and sometimes half a head when I just want my roots doing. (I just request half head I don’t ask for just my roots)
Long story short I asked for just my roots the other day, and they painted on the bleach on all of my roots. The result looked bright and gorgeous in the salon, got to look in different lights and mirrors and my god it’s so blonde I look like SLIM SHADY! I get highlights so they match my eyebrows a little more, still goes bright but wow not this bright. What do I do? Can they not do roots with just foils next time? I’m going to ask but I need advice on if I can fix it myself.
Why does this happen, like why has it have such a different result just from not using foils?

So I have been getting highlights for years (bleach) with a silver toner. I get a full head and sometimes half a head when I just want my roots doing. (I just request half head I don’t ask for just my roots)
Long story short I asked for just my roots the other day, and they painted on the bleach on all of my roots. The result looked bright and gorgeous in the salon, got to look in different lights and mirrors and my god it’s so blonde I look like SLIM SHADY! I get highlights so they match my eyebrows a little more, still goes bright but wow not this bright. What do I do? Can they not do roots with just foils next time? I’m going to ask but I need advice on if I can fix it myself.
Why does this happen, like why has it have such a different result just from not using foils?
The difference being that when you have a root application of bleach 100% or your hair is covered even if it's just the roots 100% of your natural hair will be bleached. When highlighting you cover anything from a small % of the hair up to 100% + of the natural hair. The stylist should have asked a few more questions to determine what it was that you wanted, they should also have been able to detect that you don't have a scalp application of bleach anyway. The only way to re create the look you're going for, is to now have a full head of lowlights with a shade close to your natural colour.

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Are you a qualified hair professional?

The difference being that when you have a root application of bleach 100% or your hair is covered even if it's just the roots 100% of your natural hair will be bleached. When highlighting you cover anything from a small % of the hair up to 100% + of the natural hair. The stylist should have asked a few more questions to determine what it was that you wanted, they should also have been able to detect that you don't have a scalp application of bleach anyway. The only way to re create the look you're going for, is to now have a full head of lowlights with a shade close to your natural colour.

Hi, I want my hair bright. Wouldn’t low lights make it darker? It’s just she painted my side burns and every bit of dark near my roots that never usually gets done and I honestly look like slim shady. I love gorgeous platinum blonde hair but this is way too blonde for me all over.

Can you see the difference?

Attachments

• 3B867877-C596-4E44-BA02-467BD2FEC6F4.png
    3B867877-C596-4E44-BA02-467BD2FEC6F4.png
    412 KB · Views: 57
  • BE226B35-1BED-41DE-96A3-BC0A8E36D6D5.jpeg
    BE226B35-1BED-41DE-96A3-BC0A8E36D6D5.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I want my hair bright. Wouldn’t low lights make it darker? It’s just she painted my side burns and every bit of dark near my roots that never usually gets done and I honestly look like slim shady. I love gorgeous platinum blonde hair but this is way too blonde for me all over.

Yeah I know the difference between highlights and a root application the only way to tone it down a bit, make it look highlighted again would be to put a darker shade running through it again. There's no other possible way? You need to either go back or visit a better hairstylist and explain. They will know what you're looking for.

I take it yiu didn't visit the same stylist?

I take it yiu didn't visit the same stylist?

I’ve been going to her for ages. She’s amazing at highlights actually just gutted she didn’t use foils on my roots. Thanks anyway

I’ve been going to her for ages. She’s amazing at highlights actually just gutted she didn’t use foils on my roots. Thanks anyway
Hmm strange, why would she do a root application, knowing that you usually have foils? Did she do a consultation with you and explain how it would be different?

Hmm strange, why would she do a root application, knowing that you usually have foils? Did she do a consultation with you and explain how it would be different?

No she never mentioned anything to me. I just asked for a root application not knowing that it would be applied by a brush. I usually just get half head or a full head like I’ve previously said when I need my roots doing. I would of presumed she would of used foils but..

No she never mentioned anything to me. I just asked for a root application not knowing that it would be applied by a brush. I usually just get half head or a full head like I’ve previously said when I need my roots doing. I would of presumed she would of used foils but..
Have you taken the issue up with her?

Have you taken the issue up with her?

Well I only got it done a few days ago, and I didn’t really know what to say, I thought for your roots it’s simply done with a dye brush but obviously not. I did presume you could use foils though. It’s only when my hair is up I can tell as my sideburns are blonde and parts that usually stay darker. I don’t think I’ll be getting a free treatment either if I address this. Next time if I go for just my “roots” then I’ll ask her to use foils. Luckily for me my hair grows pretty fast. I don’t want to cause a big fuss when it isn’t needed. She should of talked me through it though and the end result I was after as she always does my hair and knows I have foils.

You could go back and ask for a toner to be applied to the roots to tone it down a bit.
If a hairdresser starts taking you for granted and doesn’t do a proper consultation, then maybe it’s time to change your hairdresser?

Latest posts

Back