Hints and Tips for acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there

Been doing some research on various ways off putting on acrylics and saving time. Would be interested to know what you do, thoughts etc.

Some people seem to file down the contact area, some cut it down with curved scissors (Leighton) he says this eliminates the need for blending. Anyone tried it? It would obviously save so much time.

Some people seem to fill in Zone 1,2, and 3 and some Z1 and 2&3 together, the latter seems to make sense to me, again comments would be great.

I also read that instead of using glue to stick the nail tip on, use acrylic instead.

Oh another thing, chatted to some girls who had been trained by someone else, and they only seemed to have half the amount of files that I have been told to use to finish off.

Regards
Deb379

Hiya

Can't say I've ever used acrylic to bond a tip to a nail.
I pre-blend my tip with a file, to make it easier for when i'm blending it into the natural nail.
And I nearly always use 3 beads, sometimes only 2 on the little finger.I find that if you do the beads too big, you can't press the product down as well, and lifting occurs at the sidewalls.
Hope this helps

I'm with Mand on this: you can cut out some of the contact area so that you dont have so much filing to do but pre-blending gives a much better finish. I cant see why you would want to bond a tip with acrylic - how would that save time?? As far as the beads are concerned, yeah it is possible to use 2 beads if you've got someone with small nail plates but as Mand says, you would stand a bigger chance of lifting and its not as easy to work with for a beginner anyway.

Hope this helps.

Hi Deb
My personal preference for tip application is to cut away most of the contact area then, almost always, buff gently. There are several reasons I do this:
-you can get the perfect angle of the tip on the nail (i.e. upper and lower arch) whatever the natural shape
-buffing takes seconds as there is so little tip
-the area to buff is at the apex of the curve so natural nail can be avoided
-the maximum area of natural nail plate is left exposed so the strongest bond of the whole structure (i.e between the overlay and the nail) has its best condition
-no air bubbles (unless you really get it wrong)
-cutting with curved scissors is so quick
-it is not necessary to buff if the length of the nail plate is good, but if it is short or there is no free edge at all, the edge of the contact areawill be noticeable if not covered with white tip.

I think this gives the best results. I very often have to do this for very close up images, sometimes on one or two nails next to long natural nails without there being any difference.

As for the overlay, the most important thing is creating the correct structure for maximum strength and perfect curves (upper arch and 'c' curve). If it can be done in 2 on a small nail, do it, otherwise don't take a chance and do it in 3 until you are totally confident in your brush skills.

Some help I hope.

Marian (Newman)

Thanks for your replies, it is interesting reading and finding out what other people do.

The sticking the tip down with acrylic wasn't a time saver, just wondered if anyone used that method. I assume it would stop you sticking like glue could.

Deb379

I have to agree with all the previous posts. I personally take out most of the well area, then only a minimal amount of blending is needed. As for using acrylic for bonding the tip i think it would be too thick. If normal glue was too thin if you are doing someone with Onycophagy, (nail biter) you would be better to use tip bod gel which helps to act as a shock absorber for the natural nail plate as you won't have a free edge as such.

i use a 100 grit file to take my well area out with as scissors can leave a hard edge, fileing will make it thinner and easy to blend.

Hope this helps.

I was taught to pre-blend tips with a file before applying to the nail with glue, not acrylic?
I cant imagine having to blend a full well off while its attached to someones nail :(

Deb379 said:
Thanks for your replies, it is interesting reading and finding out what other people do.

The sticking the tip down with acrylic wasn't a time saver, just wondered if anyone used that method. I assume it would stop you sticking like glue could.

Deb379

There are occasions when applying a tip with a bead of L/P is a very cool technique and I have done it very sucessfully some cient's nails for many years.

It is a makeover technique and It elongates the nailplate and disguises the free edge of the natural nail if you use an opaque or semi-opaque powder.

Drawbacks are: You have to hold each tip on for about 40 seconds before you can let it go and you must be absolutely still. Overexposure could be an issue if you performed this technique too often on the same person.

Pluses are: You get a fantastic makeover to a short nailplate. The tip adheres stronger than adhesive to the plate.

lesley1965 said:
I was taught to pre-blend tips with a file before applying to the nail with glue, not acrylic?
I cant imagine having to blend a full well off while its attached to someones nail :(

This is a perfect example of the benefits of continuing education LOL.

When I did my initial training we put on full well tips and blended them. Just shows you how this industry moves on and improves.

If I had not gone on to further my education, then I might still be doing this LOL.

Well that's right Fiona, and that's why I did some research, as those with lots of experience often have tips they can share which saves time etc. Not only that, when husband looks at things I do, not necessarily nails, his logic brain says why don't you do this and that, which often makes sense!

Putting the tip on with acrylics I picked up from an American site, not that I have tried it as I am only a beginner.

That's another great thing about this site as we can all share ideas, tips etc.

Regards
Deb379

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back