hiring/gaining business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygirl

Reaction score
hi , I am a stylist and manager looking for some advice.I have been at my salon for 13 yrs. My mom in law took it over 4 yrs ago and I became manager.The first of this year I lost 2 girls that had been there for 10 and 11 yrs. I hired new and just this weekend they have both quit to go elsewere. This now leaves me and 1 other partime girl. The town I am in has rapidly grown in the past few yrs and things have moved to the otherside of town. We have 2 yrs on lease so moving is not an option .The walkins are almost non existent now and the only thing we have is our personal clients and a few shop regulars. I need to hire 2 more people but dont have much to offer .I also need to bring new clients into the salon . We have treid to have specials and have tried to advertise but it doesnt seem to do much.Im lost on what to do and I feel trapped and overwhelmed.I cannot leave. It also doesnt hepl that there are 4 great clips in this town.I dont know how to compete. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for listening!!!

can i ask why the other girls left?
were they offered better money, ?
were they unhappy?
were they on a rent a chair basis or employed by you?

of the 2 first girls, 1 isnt doing hair anymore and the other wanted to cut her hours to 1 day a week. the girls that just left, one said she needed to be challenged and the other was not making enough money and needed to make something getting paid by the hour.I offer 50-60% commission depending on the amount you do.

i think first off,
you need to look at why the girls are leaving /left
is business that bad that they cannot earn their money or be challenged?
have you had any customer feedback?
what do you think the main problem is?
have you seen a down turn in business yourself?
could it be the unmotivated staff are putting off the clients?
sorry to be blunt, but im trying to help,and give you an unbiased opinion
but without really knowing the whole story
xxx

Hello .
I think lotus blossom is right in saying these things , and as she says it is very hard to say without being there but lotus blossom did say have you had any client feed back ?
Well I think she has hit the nail on the head here ,
why don't you do a client survey thing ? (sorry I forget the name of them now ),

It is just a simple form asking what your clients think about the salon?
and how it could be made better?
what do the clients want?
and what they like about the salon and staff ?
and what they don't like ?
and what areas could you improve and what services you could improve? ect

get them to pop the completed form in a box without their names on them if they so wish, Then after a month or so read them all though,
and you may get some valuable feedback ,

Do not get upset at anything or feel criticized as its just a business thing to them,
Just aim to address these things ,
This would make a really good start,

Also some of the other geeks on here who have really good business brains
may also be able to give you some more good tips,

You have made a really good start by admitting all is not how you would like it to be,
and asking for advice to make things better,
and that is a good positive step,

I do hope the forms can come up with something to go on :hug:

the girls r leaving because they have not built up enough clientele to make enough money.mostly because there isnt enough coming in to build up. We have tried before to do the comment/suggestion box and no one ever put anything in it.It is a nice shop and recently redone, all of us are friendly and helpful and we all get along.I have been here for 13 yrs and have a huge client base of my own so, I do good I just need to figure out how to attract more business to keep employees here and happy.We have tried coupons,advertising,gifts for clients that refer others,etc.... Nothing seems to work.We never have people call or comeback and complain about their hair,I only hire people that know what theyre doing and can do it well.We attend classes and shows to keep up with the trends.We have great relationships with all our clients. We just need more coming thru to pay the bills.The only thing that I can think of that hurts us is that we are in a shopping center that has lots of empty retail spaces and are on the wrong side of town.Things have really moved to another area in this town.I am just looking for advice on how to bring people back to our side of town ,to our shop so that when I find someone to hire ,I will have something to offer. Thanks for ur help.

may I suggest a "theme" to your salon to attract business?

Ask youself

What Can I offer new potential clients that No one else does?

Then Look Inside of your circle and see it from a customers view point.

I had a "friend" come in to my salon that none of the stylist knew as a 'secret shopper'

She accessed the atomphere of the salon, How quick she was adressed as a walkin, how friendly the staff was to her etc.
She then reported back to me as a clients view not a friend.
I made the necessary adjustments to the salon.

I have 7 stations and all 7 stations have been full for the last 6 years.

sometimes it isn't just getting the new business in the doors..that is the easy part.
Sometimes you need to look at why they aren't staying...which comes down to management.

Latest posts

Back