Hiring help... is it worth it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickij

Reaction score
Here's a question that's been on my mind for a long time and is now becoming something i really need to make a decision on...

Is hiring somebody to share the work load with more hassle than it's worth or a vital step in growing your business???

currently i am a self employed beauty therapist renting space in a 3 star hotel, i'm open to locals and hotel guests. i take wednesdays and sundays off and lately I am booked up chocka pretty much most the time.

the space i rent consists of a small office with reception front, a small waiting area, a large treatment room (formerly a hotel room) and a small store room off the main treatment room (formerly a bathroom). I'm toying with the idea of combining the main treatment room pace and store room and then spliting into two smaller treatment rooms so that i can then have somebodyelse working alongside me.

I've worked really hard building up my clientele, i have very high standards, reward loyalty and bend over backwards to keep everyone happy, but since it's been busy I'm turning customers away, especially hotel guests who never book in advance. i feel trapped like the only way to keep everyone happy is to work longer days of not take wednesdays off.

what should i do?
live with it and just accept that its the clients fault for not making their booking sooner?
or hire somebody to help?... i'm just scared to do this as i hear all sorts of horror stories about staffing issues...

what would your advice be?

help!

any salon owners out there?
or anybody whos ever taken on a member of staff?
Any advice much appreciated
xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I would say it's worth getting someone in. The problem is finding the right therapist who is as dedicated as you are to the business. There are some out there but hard to find, you also need to have the time to train them to your standards. Make sure you do a trade test be fore making a final decision, you will find that a lot a people can talk a good interview but not always up to standard once employed. Also if you do employ someone make sure you start them on say a 3 month trial. I have been lucky the staff I have now are great, but have had a few problems in the past. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Lynn

if you are that busy hun and turning people away i would say that you need to get staff!!grow and expand your business and reap the rewards!! yes hiring staff isn't the easiest thing in the world, its like anything trial and error.

just set your boundaries from the beginning, let them know what you expect and do not expect and have it in writing! also think about if you were working for someone or have in the past and what you would like from an employer.

hth

I have just come to that point too ! Working 11 hour days with only a Sunday off and I am turning clients away (recession ???) I have just employed someone, which is very scary, but I figure if I am turning clients away I need to expand I have no life at the moment, it's 10.15pm and I am still thinking about work on here !
Finding the right person is hard I must have interviewed 12 girls and then followed up with trade tests with 4 of them.
The therapist I have employed has potential but she definitely needs some polishing from me which is also going to take time, but I would rather mould someone young and keen, but that's just my choice !
Good luck in your decision, let us know what you decide !
Xx

thanks for your replies. what would u suggest i do, have her work alongside me by creating another treatment area, or have her work alone on the days that i dont work (im afraid this latter option leaves me open to having stock/money/clients stolen)??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

imo - dont let her work alone for at least a few months

it will take that time to see the quality of her work and how she interacts with customers and if you can trust her

plus you will have to train her up in how you work

in my experience people are on their best behaviour initially and it takes a few months to see their real personality and work attitude

dont be tempted to be soft initial - be firm about your standards and expectations

Latest posts

Back