Hiring someone who....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt someone you thought you would hire!

Okay, so this girl has come in a few times to try and work here. As you probably read in my previous post I am having trouble with one of my employees.

Thing is this girl who has come in for a job - doesnt really look the part - dont jump on me for saying that! What I mean, is she has scraggly hair, and doesnt really dress appropriately.

Do you guys think, if I called her in and said that she can come in to work 1 day a week until it gets busier, but with stipulations. Do you think that if I say she needs to dress up a little more, and must have her hair either back, or straighted or curled etc. -but in a nice way, that it is pushing it?

I am looking for honest nice advice here guys k....I know it sounds harsh, but we are in the beauty industry and I cant have someone come work for me who has really tatterd nails, hair that she just walked out of the shower with and dries icky, and shirts with little slits down the sides when she isnt really - well, she is a little overweight and it looks horrible :S

Sorry to sound harsh. But should I give her a chance? It would help her out - no one around here is looking for an esthetician - except me lol and I know she wants to work here.
Hun you should give her a chance if you feel her work is of a good standard, but remind her of the 'codes of practice' for a professional beauty therapist, and remind her that it is important that she presents herself immaculately, as she is working in an industry concerning image. Show her what your standards are, whats acceptable, whats not.But i definetely wouldnt mention her weight, thats her business, so long as she has enough stamina to do treatments, there should'nt be a problem. Good luck.:)

you need a good probationary period so you can more easily allow yourself to let your mistakes go.
you could also have a set of salon rules which would have your uniform and dress code

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey KatKat, how is/did she working out?

It is great that you gave her a chance to prove herself. I know from personal experiance being overweight in this industry can be really hard as we are judged more critically than skinny peeps ie what would we know about beauty? look at yourself!!

I agree we all need to look professional, but we all bloom with a little encouragement and recognition (and guidance!!)

Let us know how things are working out.. :)

I hired a girl once and after a few hours in the day would stink to high heaven of BO. I was stuck with what to do. I tried all the subtle hints of, 'wow its hot today, i'm just going to put some anti perspirent on' then I handed her the can and said 'do you want some?' Nope still didnt work! Kept it in the toilet for the staff to use - nope still didnt work! In the end I re-did all my contracts and it was at the same time the legal requirement came in for all business's to have an office/shop manual. In this I included the dress code policy which included how the hair must be tied back off the face, make up applied nicely and professionaly, short tidy varnish free nails on the hands, nicely pedicured toes, nice tan (with our products), Uniform requirements, No jewelley, Clean, fresh uniform daily with no stains, staff to shower daily and ensure anti perspirent is worn to prevent BO etc etc. It worked and not only that my juniors who were coming to work in crop tops finally got the message too!

Kate

Hey KatKat, how is/did she working out?

It is great that you gave her a chance to prove herself. I know from personal experiance being overweight in this industry can be really hard as we are judged more critically than skinny peeps ie what would we know about beauty? look at yourself!!

I agree we all need to look professional, but we all bloom with a little encouragement and recognition (and guidance!!)

Let us know how things are working out.. :)

Do salons really judge therapists on weight?? I am a size 12, but I would happily employ a larger lady to work for me. If anything it has more benefits to the business. Hope this dosnt come across wrong (although it probably will) clients are going to be a lot more comfortable getting their flabby/bumpy/white/hairy bits out infront of someone who dosnt look like a model! I know I do lol!

Kate xx

Latest posts

Back