Hiring staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blush&Glow beauty bar

Reaction score
Hello geeks, i am in need of some advice i have recently put an ad on gumtree for a part time beauty therapist but it's been 2 months and i have only had one person reply but they didn't have most of the skills i asked for, so my problem is i really need staff as its only me managing and doing treatments at my salon, but it seems so difficult to find staff what am i doing wrong and if anyone has similar experience and how you managed thanks.

Have you tried using the job centre plus to advertise the job? That's where I would look not gumtree. :)

Have you tried using the job centre plus to advertise the job? That's where I would look not gumtree. :)
oh no i haven't, will try thanks.

Where are you based?

Also your nearest beauty colleges.

hey, I know it's been a while, but did you have any luck? I am in the same boat as you I think. running the salon and working by myself.... looking to hire people.. gumtree was not successful in the past. how did you go about it?

hey, I know it's been a while, but did you have any luck? I am in the same boat as you I think. running the salon and working by myself.... looking to hire people.. gumtree was not successful in the past. how did you go about it?
I am still in the same position i did hire 2 people (different times) but they just caused me so much stress that i am now not going to employ any more, i would love if i can find someone who is willing to work self employed part time and have a passion for what they do also be motivated and of good character i advertised everywhere its just so difficult to find any good therapist today.
have a look at this website hair2beauty and let me know how you get on

High quality professionals don’t come running at the first offer they get. They weigh their options, compare, and finally make an informed decision. So start thinking like them.

Give them what they actually want

And no, offering more money isn’t the answer. Commissions in the salon business are low. And people in the industry know the deal. So offer them something that they might value more.

• Education
    The profession of a stylist or a cosmetologist is one that requires constant saw-sharpening. Professionals are always looking for better learning opportunities. So, promise them high-quality training, and good learning opportunities and watch the talent roll in.

• Secondary Incentives
    Promise them a work-life balance. Give them a chance to perform in public and flaunt their skills. Allow them to assist you in organising and administrative matters.

I know there’s always a possibility that all of this may empower them to leave and start a business of their own. But it’ll happen anyway. Sooner or later. There’s a fine line between promoting your staff and promoting your business. Strike the balance between the two and you should be fine.
Look in the right places

If you think putting a “Hiring now” tab on your website or a post on your Facebook page is enough, think again.

You might still get a lot of responses but you’ll end up rejecting most of them. Here are a few platforms where you can the word out and receive applications from quality professionals.

• Local cosmetology schools
    Let them know you’re hiring. Find out if they’ll post your job description on their websites, blogs and social media pages, and in their email marketing newsletters. Ensure that they can send the communication to present and past students, especially if you’re searching for a stylist with years of experience.

This something that I’ve seen a lot of salon owners try on social media. Some popular ones are: Salon Employment, Behind the Chair, Salon Builder, Salon Gigs, All Salon Search, etc.

• Ads in industry newsletters
    Put up ads in industry newspapers, online newsletters and stylists’ magazines. Stylists keep up with industry changes and trends by reading publications and websites. Consider your geographic location and place ads that will reach your target market.

• Employee referrals
    Ask your current employees. Many stylists know others in the industry who may be unhappy at their place of work or who are recent graduates from beauty school and already have a loyal following.
This extract is taken from the blog originally published on the Appointy blog. To read the complete blog and learn more, click here!

Latest posts

Back